• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rebuild Database Makes A Huge Difference

psychotron

I was having some stuttering issues with various games including Call of Duty: AW and couldn't figure out why. I finally said screw it and moved on to Shadow of Mordor. The opening title screen stuttered, then the opening cutscene looked like a total slide show. Something had to be wrong, because this was borderline unwatchable. The gameplay didn't seem too bad but still stuttered.

I had already initialized my ps4 to try and fix COD, which didn't work. So I decided to try "Rebuild Database". I fired the game back up and it's buttery smooth. I'm glad it's fixed, but wtf!? If this can have such a massive impact on performance, why is it buried in safe mode? Shouldn't it automatically do this after a set period of time?

Here's how to access Safe Mode:

(Credit to Coolasj19 for posting them originally)

Starting the PS4 in Safe Mode
Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
Safe Mode Options
The following options are available in Safe Mode:

Restart System - Ends Safe Mode and restarts the PlayStation 4 normally.
Change Resolution - Changes the screen resolution to 480p when the PlayStation 4 is restarted.
Update System Software - Allows the PlayStation 4 to update the system software via Internet, USB Drive, or Disc.
Restore Default Settings - Restores the PlayStation 4 to the default factory settings.
Rebuild Database - Scans the drive and creates a new database of all content.
This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
Initialize PS4 - IMPORTANT: All data and settings will be lost by performing this step.
Deletes all user data and restores the PS4 as if it just came out of the box. This option is the same as [Initialize PS4 ] in the (Settings) menu. System software (firmware) is not deleted.
Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software) - IMPORTANT: Deletes all information on the HDD, including the System Software. Click here to download the reinstallation version of PS4 system software.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder if this will fix the GTA5 issue I have where the operating system stops responding and I can't go to the home menu or open up the settings menu. It's happened twice and I have to hold the power button when I want to stop playing the game.

Tainted

I wonder if this will fix the GTA5 issue I have where the operating system stops responding and I can't go to the home menu or open up the settings menu. It's happened twice and I have to hold the power button when I want to stop playing the game.

I had this issue in GTA5 as well....only seemed to happen while charging the controller from the PS4 usb ports while playing.

I worked around it by charging it off a power brick instead

Persona7

Banned
I had this issue in GTA5 as well....only seemed to happen while charging the controller from the PS4 usb ports while playing.

I worked around it by charging it off a power brick instead

Hmm...Maybe that is the issue because I have to recharge the damn thing so often. Thanks for telling me that.

NateDrake

Sony tech support told me to do this when my disc drive would eject the disc on its own. Haven't had the problem since doing a rebuild, but it was random to begin with.

Three

I was having some stuttering issues with various games including Call of Duty: AW and couldn't figure out why. I finally said screw it and moved on to Shadow of Mordor. The opening title screen stuttered, then the opening cutscene looked like a total slide show. Something had to be wrong, because this was borderline unwatchable. The gameplay didn't seem too bad but still stuttered.

I had already initialized my ps4 to try and fix COD, which didn't work. So I decided to try "Rebuild Database". I fired the game back up and it's buttery smooth. I'm glad it's fixed, but wtf!? If this can have such a massive impact on performance, why is it buried in safe mode? Shouldn't it automatically do this after a set period of time?

What does rebuild database do? I currently have a problem where one of my games icon is wrong (as in it's an icon for a different game). Would this fix it you think?

Surfheart

I've seen this performance issue before, it seems to happen after I play a game immediately after it has installed a patch. A reboot has fixed it every time

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4:-safe-mode
Safe Mode said:
Starting the PS4 in Safe Mode
Turn off the PlayStation 4 by pressing the power button on the front panel. The power indicator will blink for a few moments before turning off.
Once the PlayStation 4 is off, press and hold the power button. Release it after you've heard two beeps: one when you initially press, and another 7 seconds later.
Connect the DualShock 4 controller with the provided USB cable and press the PS button on the controller.
Safe Mode Options
The following options are available in Safe Mode:

Restart System - Ends Safe Mode and restarts the PlayStation 4 normally.
Change Resolution - Changes the screen resolution to 480p when the PlayStation 4 is restarted.
Update System Software - Allows the PlayStation 4 to update the system software via Internet, USB Drive, or Disc.
Restore Default Settings - Restores the PlayStation 4 to the default factory settings.
Rebuild Database - Scans the drive and creates a new database of all content.
This operation may take a long time depending on the type and number of data items.
Initialize PS4 - IMPORTANT: All data and settings will be lost by performing this step.
Deletes all user data and restores the PS4 as if it just came out of the box. This option is the same as [Initialize PS4 ] in the (Settings) menu. System software (firmware) is not deleted.
Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software) - IMPORTANT: Deletes all information on the HDD, including the System Software. Click here to download the reinstallation version of PS4 system software.

Slixshot

Banned
Could this... increase download speeds...? I've got a 50 mbps download on my computer thru wifi... but on my ps4 its 4 mbps :(

kyser73

How does one do this?

Hold down the power button for about 8-10 seconds, the console should beep and go into safe mode, where you'll be presented with options on what you want to do. Select 'Rebuild database' and your in gravy.

I don't have a stuttering issue, but I might do this for good maintenance, as JBurton said. Kinda like defragging an HDD .

kyser73

I've seen this performance issue before, it seems to happen after I play a game immediately after it has installed a patch. A reboot has fixed it every time

I treat my PS4 software updates the same way I treat PC software and always reboot after a patch or update.

psychotron

it's basically a defrag tool

Yeah, but not using it seems crippling to my system. This actually has me wondering if my hybrid drive was a good idea. Since it caches 6gb of data that's accessed often, and the ps4 seems to perform best only when files are arranged a specific way....could this be a problem? I'm tired, so I may be overthinking this.

Yeah, but not using it seems crippling to my system. This actually has me wondering if my hybrid drive was a good idea. Since it caches 6gb of data that's accessed often, and the ps4 seems to perform best only when files are arranged a specific way....could this be a problem? I'm tired, so I may be overthinking this.

I have no idea about hybrid drives, but since you noticed such a good improvement I would just make sure you do this often from now on.

You're not overthinking. This is my worry with the hybrid I'm using as well. I'm no really sure how PS4 stores data, though ideally you'd want the OS to be given a higher priority.

injurai

Banned
is this doing like what reinstalling windows does?

No, it rebuilds the master file table on the hdd that describes the layout of your filesystem and content on the drive. It may also defragment, I'm not sure about that though.

Is there any way to get back shared videos you deleted on Ps4? I pressed share after a really good hardcore team deathmatch in advanced warfare, and then went and deleted the video mistakenly... is it gone forever or is there any way to salvage a clip that's been deleted?

farisr

Rebuild database is a life saver.

I once sold a game privately to somebody, made sure everything was okay with it beforehand, no scratches or anything and I had played a bit of it myself but it didn't click with me. Took me a while to find someone that wanted to pay the price I was willing to let it go at, but I found a couple of people.

I was in talks with some guy but he couldn't make it till a few days later, then this guy said he'd be able to come today and pick it up with even more money than I requested, so I decided on it.

Guy buys the game, goes home. I tell the other guy it's been sold, he's like okay he has someone else he'll buy from now. Next day, when I'm at work, I get a message "I want my money back" from this guy. I ask why, he says the game doesn't load up even into the menu.

I'm like "crap, this guy probably doesn't like the game and wants his money back, making up excuses, and he can easily find out where I live by my email address since it uses my real name and I'm pretty much the only one in this entire city with this last name and I let go of the other guy who was willing to buy the game, I'm screwed"

I sent him a message, thinking it was worth a shot, saying I thoroughly tested the game before deciding to sell it, and it worked fine, problem's on his end, and to try rebuilding the database.

Next day I get a message "hey, thanks man, that worked"

Man, what a relief that was.

psychotron

I've decided that I want to see if I run into the same problems with a standard 7200 rpm drive, so I ordered one, which will be here Wednesday. I use an external 7200 rpm in my XBox One and it makes a huge difference. I'll report back when installed.

Mikey Jr.

Yes, do this.

It is fast and makes your ps4 faster in terms of sending and receiving messages. I do this one in a while.

Be aware that this will fuck up your xmb game line up. So they'll be shuffled all over the place.

nemisis0

I have tried doing this for the last couple of months always gives me an error right at the end, worked fine when I first got my PS4, now rebuild database doesn't anymore due to the error message.

Tobor

I had the same issue with Shadows of Mordor. It's apparently common and a caching problem. A simple restart of the system took care of it, and it hasn't happened since.

EGM1966

Yah I do this regularly - figured it must be console equivalent of defragging. So far I've never really noticed any of the stuttering or similar issues I see people mention from time to time.

It would be good if you could setup some sort of scheduled maintenance for PS4 - maybe once a month it boots itself up and does these tasks?

I know console providers are always trying to keep it simple and not too much like PC but it feels like some form of housekeeping would be useful now with game data stored on HDDs and the like now.

Top Bottom