• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rebuild Database Makes A Huge Difference

ironcreed

Banned
I recently had an issue where my PS4 would kind of stall and then beep three times every time I shut down or went into rest mode. Rebuilt the database and it helped some, but the problem went away entirely after I went to power options and restarted the PS4 from there. It seems that can help as well.

Vanguard

I'm getting an error when I try to do this... "Cannot rebuild the database..."

Why would that be and what can I do to fix it? Anyone?

I had this issue a few months ago and unfortunately never found the cause or how to resolve it. So ended up reinstalling the OS afresh, which obviously fixed it but was less than ideal.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Nope. Not sure what to do... I've no probs with my PS4, but would like to perform this defrag...

The error gives you any code you could search for ?

You could try putting the console on rest mode and pulling the power cable off. It would force a HD check next time you turn it on.
I know it's not the best tip, but it could help.

d9b

Banned
The error gives you any code you could search for ?

You could try putting the console on rest mode and pulling the power cable off. It would force a HD check next time you turn it on.
I know it's not the best tip, but it could help.

I had this issue a few months ago and unfortunately never found the cause or how to resolve it. So ended up reinstalling the OS afresh, which obviously fixed it but was less than ideal.

Think I'll have to reinstall the OS because this is driving me insane.

Vanguard, was it worth the trouble... Did you notice any slight performance improvements after doing this?

psychotron

I'm getting an error when I try to do this... "Cannot rebuild the database..."

Why would that be and what can I do to fix it? Anyone?

Never had this happen before. I do a database rebuild very often and usually notice improvements.

Two Words

It said it would take several hours, but it's wrapping up in less than 5 minutes. Does that mean my PS4 was not fragmented much?

Vanguard

Even on PS Vita, rebuilding databse saved me.

I did this once and if I remember correctly, I lost my entire home screen layout set up. I'm kind of hesitant to do it now on Vita due to that. Although last time I mostly did it due to missing options in the settings, I was trying to turn off party join notifications and the option just was not there until I did a rebuild.

Think I'll have to reinstall the OS because this is driving me insane.
Vanguard, was it worth the trouble... Did you notice any slight performance improvements after doing this?

Not really, but then I have to point out that sometimes after a firmware update it may do a database rebuild anyway and I vaguely remember there being a recent one, so if there was a difference it would have been minimal to me. It is a good maintenance tool however and something you want working correctly, whether it be manual or after an update so it's something you would want to fix regardless imo.

As I pointed out with the Vita, I was missing options until I did a rebuild. This was also the same with the PS3, as most EU owners will know we have a Singstar app thing always on our XMB, that disappeared for me until I did a rebuild. Not that I wanted it back, but a rebuild is not just for performance, it's for keeping everything in working order and making sure everything is as how it should be, which is probably why it does a rebuild after some firmware updates and is most likely the same with PS4.

I tried that with my ps4 but at the end i always get an error saying that the database rebuild was aborted.

I dont know whats wrong

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
rebuilding the database you do not lose any content or saves is that correct, just asking before i do it sorry not to techsavy

Bowler

Trying this now... I have a issue where the ps4 has trouble turning on. Like it will beep get to the PS symbol. And turn off. Sony want 150 bucks to fix because I'm out of warranty. My thing is.... it's going on hour 2. And isn't showing any connection to the tv. Is this normal?

TP-DK

Do you have P.T. installed?

I also have PT installed and get an error whenever I try to rebuild the database. And I just replaced my hdd on ps4 so all I have on the hdd right now is PT and Destiny.

If PT is the cause then Imnot sure its worth having.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Bumping this thread. I was having majorly long loading times in Assassins Creed Symdicate and rebuilding the database helped a TON.

nib95

Banned
Can you rebuild your database without losing any data on your hard drive? Eg games, saves, DLC etc.

Edit: Reading above, looks like it might not delete anything, but I'd just prefer to be safe than sorry!

Can you rebuild your database without losing any data on your hard drive? Eg games, saves, DLC etc.

Edit: Reading above, looks like it might not delete anything, but I'd just prefer to be safe than sorry!

Doesn't delete a thing, I believe the system rebuilds the database every time there's a new update. I've done it myself a couple times since I owned the system and it fixed various small issues.

gzero

Sony tech support told me to do this when my disc drive would eject the disc on its own. Haven't had the problem since doing a rebuild, but it was random to begin with.

Have had this problem off and on for over a year now. Sony's advice was a short term fix but the problem kept coming back. Since my console was out of warranty I opened the case and put a piece of electrical tape over the eject button sensor -- no problems since (I just have to eject with the controller).

nib95

Banned
Doesn't delete a thing, I believe the system rebuilds the database every time there's a new update. I've done it myself a couple times since I owned the system and it fixed various small issues.

Awesome, I'll give it a try. Noticed some stuttering and pausing with The Witcher 3.

kyser73

This is correct.

If you're having issues, first step should be to switch the PS4 off completely. Not even a restart, a complete shutdown, then restart from cold.

After that, a DB rebuild should be next on the list. Basically the thing to remember is that this is essentially a stripped down PC, and the kind of housekeeping you *should* do on a PC applies. Things like constantly using suspend can cause loading issues, so it's always best to occasionally power down completely and restart.

DB rebuild is, I'm guessing, like defragging an HDD or disk cleanup.

.Anema

I didn't have any idea about this, thank you GAF.
Does this have any impact on the installed games? Or maybe in the saved games? i don't want to re download my digital games or maybe lost my saves D:

kyser73

I didnt know that. Source ?

After the first restart the PS4 reboots in safe mode, installs the firmware update & rebuilds the DB before restarting into normal operating mode.

You just need to watch the TV during the update process.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Just done this took about 5 min no issues other than changing my recent played games on xmb i had no issues beforehand just good to do every so often

TL24

Nice, did this on my PS4 running a SSD and it took 30 seconds o_O

Never really had any issues but it can only help!

Chris R

Is there any way to stop my PS4 from doing this every single time I turn it on? Only takes ten seconds or whatever, but I don't think it's good for my system :(

Top Bottom