• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Remote Play - Two screen multiplayer (NfS: Rivals)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
that, or, like I said the Vita is being used as a second screen as described here:

http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2013/09/10/7-second-screen-playstation-games/5/

I'm going with your explanation for now. Remote play has always been described as mirroring only and NFS hasn't mentioned having split screen.

So that guy with the vita is either
1) just playing single players streamed from a second PS4
2) playing online against the guy with the PS4 - using another PS4 to stream from
3) is using the play station app as a second screen.

(Have EA said that they are using the Sony PS app? EA are the sort of company you'd expect to use their own app.

I'm going with your explanation for now. Remote play has always been described as mirroring only and NFS hasn't mentioned having split screen.

So that guy with the vita is either
1) just playing single players streamed from a second PS4
2) playing online against the guy with the PS4 - using another PS4 to stream from
3) is using the play station app as a second screen.

(Have EA said that they are using the Sony PS app? EA are the sort of company you'd expect to use their own app.

I don't believe they have said what they are using. If they are using their own app, then yeah, obviously we can rule out number 3.

http://www.needforspeed.com/network Presumably this is a standalone app.

RaikuHebi

Banned
DAT Wii U
Dat RemotePlay? PS3 and PSP in 2006?

WiiU might've beaten Sony to having a decent quality and su pport for all games, but Sony initiated this idea way ahead of its time. I remember when they showed a demo of F1 at E3 2006 using the PSP as a rear-view mirror.

WiiU might've beaten Sony to having a decent quality and su pport for all games, but Sony initiated this idea way ahead of its time. I remember when they showed a demo of F1 at E3 2006 using the PSP as a rear-view mirror.

yeah i remember that too o_O

we need confirmation on this still though.

RaikuHebi

Banned
You could have separate screens for local co-op with a PSP and PS3 in 2006?

news to me.

also.. remote play was garbage in 2006 I was there.
I'm just saying that Sony were ahead of their time with the conception of RemotePlay all the way back then.

My mistake on the whole co-op thing.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
I'm just saying that Sony were ahead of their time with the conception of RemotePlay all the way back then.

My mistake on the whole co-op thing.

I know I know.

I am just glad its a feature that is actually coming to fruition on multiple consoles because I fucking love it.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I know I know.

I am just glad its a feature that is actually coming to fruition on multiple consoles because I fucking love it.
Without a doubt. I was really bummed out about the aforementioned E3 2006 F1 thing (and other potential stuff) never happening.

Also I'll be honest I didn't realise the WiiU could do this. I thought the multiplayer was only possible with both screens mirrored (like in Mario Bros.). I didn't realise each player could go off on their own.

wait what? this can't be right, can it? this would mean PS4 is rendering the game twice and sending out a video output to 2 devices.

Wait? PS4 is rendering 2 separate fullscreens of gameplay for local coop?

...If the Wii U can do it, why wouldn't the PS4 be able to?

Without a doubt. I was really bummed out about the aforementioned E3 2006 F1 thing (and other potential stuff) never happening.

Also I'll be honest I didn't realise the WiiU could do this. I thought the multiplayer was only possible with both screens mirrored (like in Mario Bros.). I didn't realise each player could go off on their own.

The latest example is CoD:Ghosts local multiplayer (was also in BlOps2).

The best example is Sonic Racing Transformed which supports 5 players locally because of this feature.

Bravocado

When I hang out with friends on rainy days, we end up playing a lot of coop, so functionality like this would be amazing. I hope more devs follow suit.

RaikuHebi

Banned

The best example is Sonic Racing Transformed which supports 5 players locally because of this feature.
This gives me hope. As you say yourself, the WiiU can do it, the PS4 surely can.

So general consensus is picture shows remote play as we know it and not like knacks couch coop remote play cross play shenanigans?

I.E. 2 PS4s, 1 vita, no shame?

The Wii U can do it because it was explicitly designed to do it. We have never had any indication that the PS4 was explicitly designed to do something similar. Now, apparently, a game that hasn't even been announced as having local MP in any form, is doing it.

It's wishful thinking I'm afraid.

I would 100% love to be wrong. But I am 100% confident that I am not.

Basically, you believe that a feature that Sony even haven't talked about, that none of the first party games are doing, is being exploited in NFS Rivals?

DieH@rd

Banned

I'm not saying that PS4 cant do it, PS4 Link app has the button for establishing "Second Screen" functionality...

...but Sony mentioned only Remote Play mirroring so far, and EA only talked about 2nd screen experience on tablets [seeing map, giving boosts to players, helping police, etc].

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
This is a great feature, even if it doesn't quite work like the Wii U multiplayer with Gamepad stuff seen in Sonic & SEGA All-Stars. All of this Vita integration with the PS4 makes me want one a whole lot more. Once my promotion kicks in, I may start looking for a way to pick both up.

What? So what you are trying to say is remote play works with online games. I don't think that's what's going on...but we need clarification.

I think their might be another TV+PS4 setup to the left, can sort of see a console shadow, perhaps it's connected with that.

Also I have hope thanks to gaikai and stuff that remoteplay might not be too bad even outside your home.

Why wouldn't remote play work with online games? its a video stream from the console, all the processing is still being done on the PS4's side.

If the Console is connected via ethernet, id still expect it to support remove play via wifi

Jacobi

Banned
Awesome, the PS4 has the best feature of the WiiU! This will be awesome and I might even buy NFS because of this...

DieH@rd

Banned
RP works with online games.

The only thing that wont work is livestreaming. We dont have confirmation if GameDVR is active, but most probably PS4 video decoder is busy on providing Vita stream.

PolishQ

I really hope this is true, but why would they support local multiplayer through the Vita but not have a traditional split screen mode?

Agent X

Some other open-world driving games (such as Burnout Paradise and Need for Speed: Most Wanted) had not implemented split-screen gameplay, because of the difficulty in rendering two different viewpoints simultaneously. If the players were to become separated by a great distance, then the game would have to load data from two different portions of the disc.

With that in mind, I have my doubts about Need for Speed: Rivals doing something like this over Remote Play.

As an aside, I do think it would be possible for a PS4 game to display a different screen image on the Vita, like you see with some Wii U games. I just don't think this game does that.

jaypah

I don't think you could do 2 screen multiplayer back then, which is what everyone is getting excited about and something the WiiU does.

Jomjom

Banned
How come the Wii U can't do remote play with every single game =(

Just got my WW Edition Wii U last week and found that out.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I think Lair was the first game to have remote play and it was a launch title or lauch window title for PS3

From what i remember, reviewers actually liked it better on PSP due to being able to control the dragon with the analog stick instead of sixaxis.

OryoN

I think Lair was the first game to have remote play and it was a launch title or lauch window title for PS3

Another cool feature a lot of fanboys were sh!tting on when Wii U did it. ;-D

As long as people - curse the hypocrites - can acknowledge it's a damn awesome feature for ANY console to have, I'm happy.

RulkezX

How come the Wii U can't do remote play with every single game =(

Just got my WW Edition Wii U last week and found that out.

Devs seem happier to just use it like a giant DS , I bought mine expecting the overwhelming majority to use it :/

Another cool feature a lot of fanboys were sh!tting on when Wii U did it. ;-D

As long as people - curse the hypocrites - can acknowledge it's a damn awesome feature for ANY console to have, I'm happy.

People still shit on it all the time, even for PS4.

Top Bottom