• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rest Mode seems to exacerbate performance issues in The Last Guardian

ScOULaris

PSA - You might get better performance in The Last Guardian out of your PS4 if you do not utilize suspend/resume from Rest Mode during your playthrough and instead fully shutdown or reboot your system between play sessions.

I've brought this up once or twice before in the OT for The Last Guardian, but after some self-deliberation I've decided to give it its own thread so that I can maybe improve the first-playthrough experience for people who are about to start the game.

While I cannot conclusively prove this as of yet (due to lack of means of capturing framerate numbers from my PS4), I am fairly confident when I say that suspending/resuming TLG from Rest Mode instead of fully powering down (or rebooting) your PS4 between play sessions will result in gradually degrading performance.

On my first playthrough I was bemoaning extremely poor performance on my standard PS4 throughout the game while some others playing on standard PS4's were saying that they only noticed minor drops during heavy sequences. At first I chalked it up to some people being more sensitive to fps dips than others, but after further experimentation I started to become more and more convinced that what I was seeing was not normal performance for the game.

On my first playthrough I was always resuming from Rest Mode. On my second playthrough I have been trying different sequences after resuming from Rest Mode and then again after a full reboot. What I've experienced is a noticeable uptick in performance after a reboot that seems to persist for hours afterward or possibly indefinitely. Sections that looked like a slideshow after resuming from Rest Mode now seem to hold closer to the 30fps target. If I've been playing for a day or so and have resumed from Rest Mode several times in the process, I'll start noticing what feels like mid- to low-20 fps framerates even during less demanding scenes. It's not hard to notice, and you can even feel it in the decreased responsiveness of the controls when the framerate drops.

I've actually reached out to Digital Foundry about this to see if they could capture framerates and test my theory, but I wanted to get this message out there ASAP for those of you who are going to experience this wonderful game on standard PS4 for the first time. In the event that I'm right, you'll have a much better experience with the game your first time through.

To those of you who have the game on a standard PS4 and have already completed the game, would you mind doing this same comparison yourselves to see if you notice the performance increase after a reboot that I seem to be seeing? I'm thinking that maybe there's a memory leak in the game that worsens over time, and since resuming from Rest Mode just keeps the memory alive from previous play sessions that might result in gradually worsening performance.

I think Bloodborne had a rest mode issue close to launch. You couldn't play online until you quit out the game so it is entirely possible other games suffer issues because of it.

I finished the game this weekend. During my day and a half that I took to play it, I used Rest mode exclusively. I also experienced shocking framerates at times (5fps in one running sequence).

I'll try again without using that PS4 function.

CREMSteve

I've been playing for about 4 hours on/off and have used rest mode extensively. I can only recall one instance where the frame rate took a noticeable dip.

foxdvd

I have sort of kept it to myself because I figured it was in my head, but I have noticed performance issues with rest mode on both my xbox one and ps4. I gave up using this feature a while ago because of it.

The main issue I have with both consoles is that online features seem to mess up....and in some way it drags down performance as the system seems to try and get online.

I can back this up. I always turn my PS4 off completely and I didn't have the noticeably consistent sub 30fps experience a lot of other people were saying they had.

I have sort of kept it to myself because I figured it was in my head, but I have noticed performance issues with rest mode on both my xbox one and ps4. I gave up using this feature a while ago because of it.

The main issue I have with both consoles is that online features seem to mess up....and in some way it drags down performance as the system seems to try and get online.
Yep, it messes up the wireless for my Xbox. One time it wouldn't even recognize it in the network settings and I got an error saying I needed to send it in.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'll be playing this over Christmas on the Pro, so if anybody would like to test the two Pro modes for this issue I'd be very grateful.

I tend to use rest mode almost exclusively when I'm playing during days off so this will most certainly affect me.

sym30l1c

I'll be playing this over Christmas on the Pro, so if anybody would like to test the two Pro modes for this issue I'd be very grateful.

I played through the whole game on a Pro over the weekend and used Rest Mode several times. I experienced no issues whatsoever.

Clive

I turn off my (original model) PS4 and I have no idea what these performance issues people are speaking of are about. I've had two tiny stutters and a couple of minor dips but this game runs fine for me. No slowdowns except clearly intentional ones (Trico catching boy for example).

Sad if the game is getting a bad rep from something that's as easily fixable as this.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I played through the whole game on a Pro over the weekend and used Rest Mode several times. I experienced no issues whatsoever.

Good to hear, thanks. Were you playing it at the higher framerate or higher resolution?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I tend to use rest mode almost exclusively when I'm playing during days off so this will most certainly affect me.

This seems to be an issue for the base PS4 model. The Pro runs the game with little issue at 1080p

Markitron

This seems to be an issue for the base PS4 model. The Pro runs the game with little issue at 1080p

I actually plan on playing it on the higher resolution, which does have dips AFAIK. From what I have read, they seem acceptable to me, but if they can be avoided I'll avoid rest mode.

bumpkin

I rarely ever leave a game or App "Open" when I put my PS4 in rest mode, but good to know that I shouldn't while playing through TLG.

PlayerOne

Banned
Don't games eventually slow down due to memory leak when you use Rest mode all the time?

I think that happened to me more than a few times now with different games.

I just turn mine off. The difference is what, 2 button presses anyway?

You should add Final Fantasy XV to the top too.

I play exclusively in resume/Rest mode and I was gradually having all kind of visual glitches in the game (happened during the party technique animations), until I shutdown the system.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I always quit games and return to the dash before activating Rest mode. Have had too many issues with resting while they are still running.

ScOULaris

What if you close the game completely from the home screen and then go to rest mode?

OP only seems to mention rest mode in regards to suspending and resuming the game.

Closing the application between play sessions might have the same effect (especially if this is caused by a memory leak), but I haven't tested that yet.

Don't games eventually slow down due to memory leak when you use Rest mode all the time?

I think that happened to me more than a few times now with different games.

I just turn mine off. The difference is what, 2 button presses anyway?

Well, Suspend/Resume eliminates a lot of wait time to start up the console, start up the game, load into main menu, load into your save game... etc. Suspend/resume takes considerably less time to get back into the game.

Arttemis

Rest mode should have no bearing on the performance if you close your application before powering the console down, and then starting the application anew when you boot the console back up.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think Bloodborne had a rest mode issue close to launch. You couldn't play online until you quit out the game so it is entirely possible other games suffer issues because of it.

It still has that issue. Well, they "fixed" it by simply throwing you back to the main menu if you tried to resume the game after being in rest mode with online mode enabled, forcing you to reload your save and essentially making rest mode useless for the game. At least that's how it was last time I played it, don't know if they've since managed an actual fix (i.e. making game capable of reconnecting after being in rest mode, without reloading the save).

IBetUHav

Neo Member
What would happen if you close the game application after each session but then put the console in Rest Mode? Would that solve it without having to completely power down?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Rest mode should have no bearing on the performance if you close your application before powering the console down, and then starting the application anew when you boot the console back up.

Keeping the game running is basically the entire point of rest mode though. If you're gonna close the game you might as well power the console off completely. The amount of time you save by not having to boot into the OS is rather negligible.

It still has that issue. Well, they "fixed" it by simply throwing you back to the main menu if you tried to resume the game after being in rest mode with online mode enabled, forcing you to reload your save and essentially making rest mode useless for the game. At least that's how it was last time I played it, don't know if they've since managed an actual fix (i.e. making game capable of reconnecting after being in rest mode, without reloading the save).

Oh yeh. Sounds like a programmers solution if I ever saw one :D

ScOULaris

What would happen if you close the game application after each session but then put the console in Rest Mode? Would that solve it without having to completely power down?

This might also alleviate the performance issues, but I haven't had a chance to test it thoroughly. Since I'm at work, I welcome others to try this and compare against suspend/resume (without closing the application) performance in the same scenes.

Arttemis

Keeping the game running is basically the entire point of rest mode though. If you're gonna close the game you might as well power the console off completely. The amount of time you save by not having to boot into the OS is rather negligible.
Downloading updates automatically overnight is my primary reason for using Rest Mode.

cheesekao

They fixed it. I used rest mode while BB was in online mode and it didn't kick me out.

The Pro has more memory available for the games. If the issue is a memory leak, the effects on the Pro would either be delayed, or missing if the leak had a maximum size less than the extra memory given to games by the Pro.

ScOULaris

Downloading updates automatically overnight is my primary reason for using Rest Mode.

This is another good function of Rest Mode that I use all the time. Ideally we'd be able to resume games from rest mode with no ill effects. I'm hoping that if this is actually the cause of the performance issues that some people have had with TLG on a base PS4 then maybe we'll get the attention of the devs and get it patched.

Maybe that's why my experience didn't seem that bad (framerate wise). Never use rest mode, always fully shutdown the game and I am playing in short bursts.

I always quit games and return to the dash before activating Rest mode. Have had too many issues with resting while they are still running.

That's my policy as well. I do that since I still have quite a few disc based games and I don't like to leave the disc in when I'm done playing for the session. So I quit the application, eject the disc, and then put the PS4 into rest mode.

I've found rest mode issues with both consoles.

Had problems with uPNP not grabbing the ports it should for XBL on the Xbone. Disabled low-power mode on that entirely because I got tired of power cycling it to get parties working with my online buddies with finicky NAT.

Bloodborne had weird memory leak issues also so I don't chance it on PS4.

Seems mostly unecessary on consoles, except for rarely in a pinch when you need to leave in a hurry or something and have a game without a save spot handy.

The Lamp

I finished the game this weekend. During my day and a half that I took to play it, I used Rest mode exclusively. I also experienced shocking framerates at times (5fps in one running sequence).

I'll try again without using that PS4 function.

No fucking wonder I couldn't relate to people about this in the OT. I played half the game on base PS4 and half the game on PS4 Pro and never noticed anything dropping to 5 fps, only sometimes to mid to low 20s. I never use rest mode, it's a waste of electricity.

ScOULaris

No fucking wonder I couldn't relate to people about this in the OT. I played half the game on base PS4 and half the game on PS4 Pro and never noticed anything dropping to 5 fps, only sometimes to mid to low 20s. I never use rest mode, it's a waste of electricity.

As someone who was playing through on a standard PS4 using Rest Mode the entire time, I not only experienced sub-20 fps drops during the action-heavy sequences but also mid-20's performance most of the time. It really detracted from my experience, so I hope that this thread dissuades new players of TLG from using Rest Mode during their playthroughs.

It's a shame that this is happening because it undoubtedly soured the game for a lot of reviewers and fans alike. At least the game is so amazing that it's still a great experience despite these issues, but it would've been even better without them.

At least I'm enjoying an improved framerate now on my second playthrough without using Rest Mode. It will still dip during the really intense moments, but not nearly as much. And otherwise during normal gameplay it feels like it sticks around 30 now. You can really feel the difference in the input polling at a more stable and higher framerate too. Feels much better now.

PlayerOne

Banned
Closing the application between play sessions might have the same effect (especially if this is caused by a memory leak), but I haven't tested that yet.

Well, Suspend/Resume eliminates a lot of wait time to start up the console, start up the game, load into main menu, load into your save game... etc. Suspend/resume takes considerably less time to get back into the game.

A lot? It's like 30 seconds max every time you play. That isn't really that much.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I guess that explains the really bad slowdown I got in the last hour. Like 10fps kind of bad.

Yeah I have not been using rest mode much lately in a small attempt to save some power and I was actually surprised at how decent the FPS was for a good majority of the game. Only a couple of the crazier set pieces caused me some serious drops and they were relatively short lived and not all that bothersome or distracting all said and done.

ScOULaris

A lot? It's like 30 seconds max every time you play. That isn't really that much.

Booting up the PS4, launching TLG, getting into the main menu, and then continuing your game altogether adds up to probably 1:30-2:00 or so before you're back into gameplay.

Awaking your Rest Mode PS4 and then resuming play in TLG takes about 15-20 seconds in total I'd say.

It's a decent enough difference to warrant usage of the feature.

balohna

I never suspend and resume anyway, mostly because my PS4 is also the household Netflix box and I feel like it's better to not have it running two applications at once. It probably doesn't matter too much, but those are the times when the console goes into hairdryer mode.

Top Bottom