• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

LeonDekoda

Neo Member
Will the PS4 be an out-right success story in Japan as it was in ROW?

I personally know some Japanese Gamers who are more-or-less frustrated by the 3-month wait!

BBboy20

People slanted Sony for not "innovating" (god i hate this term) or doing anything new, for not having a quirky, cutesy little alternative method of controlling and playing games like the Kinect and GamePad. After all this worked last time, so its bound to work again...right?

Turns out just making a game console with a few essential features is the way to go. Trying to replicate the original Wii is the trap both MS and Nintendo fell in and now they are selling products that are held back by the extra "special controller".

Kinect and GamePad are great..in theory. But in actual practice, neither company is using their special little devices. MS has barely made any Kinect games and Nintendo seems oblivious to what even to do with the extra screen.
The moment N revealed the Gamepad instead of also the console was pretty much them signing a death sentence. I wonder about those who predicted that thought on that E3.

Japanese market by itself is small. Hard for devs to budget for HD consoles. It a death spiral for home consoles there. It will probably sell 1-2M consoles every year.

No big PS4 games coming from Japan this year. No one cares about Knack, KZ:SF etc. Sony could have done some thing.. at least a 2D fighter with Capcom or some thing. Without any games and no 3rd party support... PS4 is facing the same problem as WiiU is facing in west.

COD sells 400k+ there lol. The Japanese market is finally getting accustomed to Western games probabaly due to their output decreasing on high end consoles. We recently saw GTAV sell 700k+ making in one of the best selling PS3 games in Japan behind FF, MGS and RE.

PS4 is going to get third party support so its not like the WiiU. Its just a question of when are the games going to come out.

Certainly a possibility, If CBOAT is right and the decision will be made in May after titanfall, then a June (E3) announcement would be likely.

The PS4 install base in June could be significant, Also I'd guess Sony will be launching an offer at their E3 presser too, maybe free KZ bundled or something, essentially a small value add, an XB1 pricecut would have to be soon IMO to prevent the "my friends have a PS4" mentality from maturing.

I'd say Japan gamers are currently better set than US gamers:

Dynasty Warriors
FF14
MGS
Lily Bergamo
Deep Down - is f2p frowned upon in japan? it looks like this would be popular.
Yakuza ishin
Natural doctrine
guilty gear xrd
Wonderflick

Seems like an impressive line up to me of announced games before the system even launches.

I don't know if the PS4 will sell well throughout the year, but if it doesn't I don't think it will be because of a lack of japan oriented games.
is there a release date for Lily Bergamo? I am pretty interested in ths game.

PS1:

4 months (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
10 months - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
16 months - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
22 months - September 30th, 1996 - 8.07 million
28 months - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million
7 months (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million
13 months - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million
19 months - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million
22 months - December 30th, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
13 months - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
2 weeks - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
3 months - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million

There's much celebration to be had at Sony HQ right now....PS4 is outpacing PS1, PS2, and PS3 at this time.
That's a pretty amazing early trajectory for PS4. Looking back at PS2 (and going off my memories), it really caught fire in its second year, which led to the crazy momentum (and support) it kept for the whole generation.

I'm really curious how this will pan out, fascinating times to live in.

Skeff

I personally know some Japanese Gamers who are more-or-less frustrated by the 3-month wait!

Does it seem as if the 3 month delay would add to the hype and make more gamers want to jump in on launch day or is it the kind of frustration where gamers will delay their purchase?

Skeff

Code:
		Production	Air shipping	Sea shipping
September	0.5		0		0.5
October		0.9		0		0.9
November	1.4		0		1.4
December	1.4		0.7		0.7
January		1.2		0.4		0.8
February	1.2		0.3		0.9

Figures in millions.

My own estimates on production and shipping. Sea shipments arrive the month after they set off, air shipments during the same. So for December, 2.1m PS4 units arrived in stores, and in January 1.1m units arrived. Some guess work, and some extrapolation from shipping volume figures from Shenzen.

January and February's production quotas are lower because there are fewer working days because there would have been a slow down from the Chinese new year celebrations and February is just a shorter month.

I can't get the 4.2m sold at Dec 28th from this. Also there were 2.1m sold by the end of November, so it looks like your down 700k at that point, Perhaps some air freight during Nov? if not Sept/Oct may be higher than you have.

EDIT: actually it works out with 2 weeks shipping for November figures and would be close on Dec 28th but would then require first 2 weeks of Dec to have 2 weeks sea shipping and last 2 wees of december to be air freighted to hi the 4.2m...

A 2 million gap over XB1 is insane after such a short time on the market.

That will likely increase 200-500k this weekend after Jap launch.

I can't get the 4.2m sold at Dec 28th from this. Also there were 2.1m sold by the end of November, so it looks like your down 700k at that point, Perhaps some air freight during Nov? if not Sept/Oct may be higher than you have.

You are quite right...

I'll rework them.

Hmm, this might take a bit longer than I thought. I'll need to check with a supply chain source because based on the available information Sony would have had to produce a lot more than 1.4m in December to get to the 4.2m sold through figure, because I have just 0.7m shipped by sea for that month as a definite. It's how I originally knew that they were using air shipping in the first place.

Mandoric

Banned
Just imagine on the day when the PS4 launch in Japan, the folks from Square come out and announce a FF7 remake exclusive to the PS4. Bam! there goes another 10 millions unit sold in Japan.

Japan liked FF8 better. FF7 was a western phenomenon, which is part of why S-E is so obsessed with chasing the west for good (buying Eidos) and for ill ("*looking at cod* white people like corridors.")

My gut instinct for Japanese launch week is a supply-constrained 250k. That would place it roughly logarithmically between the PS3 (3x) and the PS2 (1/4). It could probably do more, especially since my read is that the end of full-production-value core games on handheld in favor of casual titles on mobile means the core gamer market will drift back toward consoles, but I don't believe Sony will take too many risks when they're so constrained in less secure territories AND they can more easily resupply either with quicker shipping or straight off the Kisarazu line.

Skeff

You are quite right...

I'll rework them.

Hmm, this might take a bit longer than I thought. I'll need to check with a supply chain source because based on the available information Sony would have had to produce a lot more than 1.4m in December to get to the 4.2m sold through figure, because I have just 0.7m shipped by sea for that month as a definite. It's how I originally knew that they were using air shipping in the first place.

It looks as if everything works out perfectly from Launch, so I think the issue is with the initial ramping up of production, mainly I believe Production began in August, here is a Gamefaqs link of when peoples launch consoles were made and where:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/67850720

Obviously it's not going to be terribly accurate thanks to trolls and random clicks, but I'd say theres enough info to know there were definitely significant manufacturing in august.

D-Stubbs

Pretty impressive. Not too surprised by the gap between the PS4 and Xbone, Sony's been riding such a huge wave of momentum ever since E3 last year while Microsoft ever since debuting the Xbone has been still trying to recover. I think Microsoft will be alright but they got some work to do. Sony on the other hand, just keep doin what your doin.

EGOMON

And i have several Japanese friends who really aren't bothered by the delay and are hyped as everyone to get it on 2.22

So including the Japan launch, in 1-2 months we could see a 2x install base of PS4 over XB1 and overtaking the WiiU after its much earlier launch? With a chance to lead in all markets worldwide (and not Nintendo in Japan and MS in US&UK), this gen will be a fun ride for me at least who usually sticks to one console. I hope this means PS2 level of game support (also in terms of variety, both western&jp games).

jelly

I wonder if Microsoft will find it more difficult and expensive to secure exclusives with the sales of the PS4 getting away from them. Publishers and devs must be rubbing their hands with glee, just deliver that giant truck of cash here please. Even that might not be enough.

Putty

I wonder if Microsoft will find it more difficult and expensive to secure exclusives with the sales of the PS4 getting away from them. Publishers and devs must be rubbing their hands with glee, just deliver that giant truck of cash here please. Even that might not be enough.

Well, i think the bigger the gap, the more 0's required on the cheque.

The PS4 has had a hugely successful start, but I'm wondering if Sony can keep the momentum going on this thing. If sales remain somewhat consistent year over year, it'll end up being a success the likes of which we haven't seen since the PS2.

Skeff

It depends on what sort of moneyhat it is.

If it's something where they fund a game that otherwise wouldn't be made (DR3) then the price should remain roughly the same, but for something like Titanfall where they pay to keep it off a specific platform then yes the price will increase a lot.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.

They have to pay for lost revenue so I'm guessing that will be expensive from here on out. Titanfall will most likely be the last of its kind.

They got their act together after the PS3 launch, with PS4 they have the idea

Good hardware and software at a good price

Simple. It works. You don't need a gimmick to succeed.

Could be my favourite console so far. Pity I haven't been able to play it since Xmas and won't have much play time until autumn because of my location.

Congrats again to Sony

They have shown before the PS4 that they can deliver on great exclusives and PS+ has no equal. As an ex 360 owner I was jealous of how good the line up was for the PS3 in the last couple of years especially. I'm excited to see what the PS4 will bring us this gen.

Good to hear.

If this trend continues I wonder though if the consequence is that Microsoft makes more effort to secure timed/content exclusivity as a way to compete.

Its really hard to say, the console market in Japan is not all that great.

True, but I think this could be it's big comeback. Back in the day FF & MGS were the killer franchises in Japan. Think they could be again.

Edit: Especially since FFXIV PS3 players will get PS4 version free.

DBT85

The PS4 has had a hugely successful start, but I'm wondering if Sony can keep the momentum going on this thing. If sales remain somewhat consistent year over year, it'll end up being a success the likes of which we haven't seen since the PS2.

Much of it will be decided by MS. Nintendo are out, so it's a 2 horse race for the next 5 years in home consoles (or until Nintendo release a new box).

If MS drop to 350-400 and drop kinect they might not fall away, depending on how late they do it. If they don't then the PS4 will just end up being the default console to get for many people. More games will be made for it, more exclusives will be made for it, and the reasons to buy an Xbone will get smaller.

It's all on MS to show how much they want it. If they really are waiting until May to even make the decision, then they could already be at a 9m : 4m ratio by then. Possibly more.

Fheonix

Neo Member
Lets not forget MS are shooting themselves in the foot by not releasing the console in the Scandinavian market, Sony seems to have a huge foot hold in these parts atm.

Skeff

When supply become stabilized i think we could have PS4 outselling ONE 3:1 worldwide. Specially if the price doesn't get cut in both UK and in the US.

I expect it's already at a 3:1 ratio WW, it was basically 2:1 in the US, also we had some updated sales figures for an EU country that had the PS4 outselling XB1 10:1 in the week before the press release or something.

I'm talking about weekly sales here, the total install base is nowhere near 3:1 yet due the the huge launches of both consoles.

Wow. Impressive. Imagine if there wasn't a shortage. They could be at 6.5-7 million by now. The thing hasn't even released in Japan yet. @_@

SpecDotSign

Unconfirmed Member
These are great numbers, especially since the PS4 in its first 3 months has outpaced the PSOne, PS2, and PS3 respectively.

What I'm waiting for is the Major Nelson spin on how the Xbone is the fastest selling console in the month of February on a leap year, on the week of the 15th, when it's below 32 degrees out, and the moon is beginning a new cycle.

NotUS

From the looks of it, Sony will continue to have strains on supply for the next few months.

Sure, stock will be popping in and out of retailers regularly, but will struggle to be an everyday stocked line.

With Infamous around the corner, #Driveclub and Watchdog dates to be revealed, this will only add to the pressure.

A strong showing at E3, followed by the Order, Witcher 3, the next COD, Fifa and Destiny should maintain momentum.

Good year for Sony it seems.

Mandoric

Banned
The PS4 will probably sell a million during the japan launch.

That's the extreme high-end, unless you're talking a long launch window. PS2 launch on March 4th sold a million launch week and 1.4m by March 31st, with higher hype and with all shipments being directed to Japan.

1m launch week is unbelievable on a "they'd never hold that many back from the US" level. 1m by end of FY would be impressively high, both for the Japanese market (even if there's room to revitalize consoles, it hasn't yet) and for shipment numbers (assuming a conservative launch shipment of 250-300k, that would mean 750k or so in a month, or nearly US shipment levels, even though historically Japan has been about half the size of the US PS market).

So Sony wanted to sell 5 million by March 31st.

They've broken that target by 51 days, with supply shortages and they haven't even launched in their 'home run' territory yet. Very impressive.

Top Bottom