• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

Maybe someone more knowledgeable could shed some info on this but how exactly would that work? Does MS just stop producing X1s or they keep piling the boxes?

Do retail stores not care? Do they send stock back?

Individual retailers are experiencing excess XB1 inventory, which is why you're seeing all those very unseasonable bargain deals (eg - $50 target giftcard with xb1 purchase, etc) pop up over the past couple of weeks.

In regards to production/inventory costs when you outsource your manufacturing to a 3rd party (eg - Foxconn) at the scale MSFT requested (1 million+ units per month) they commit to a minimum order (in this case a 6 months minimum order is very likely). MSFT can't tell Foxconn to slow production because of slow sales because on Foxconn's end thousands of workers were hired, production lines were created, etc. Once the machine is fired up you can't exactly slow it down

Mung

It probably will be easiest design in history of consoles - slap newest amd apu and double ram to 16GB and PS5 is ready :D

I think ps5 should have 16 times the RAM, i.e. 128GB. That would be consistent with the previous generational leaps (always x16 I believe)

PS1:

4 months (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
10 months - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
16 months - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
22 months - September 30th, 1996 - 8.07 million
28 months - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million
7 months (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million
13 months - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million
19 months - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million
22 months - December 30th, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
13 months - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
2 weeks - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
3 months - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million

There's much celebration to be had at Sony HQ right now....PS4 is outpacing PS1, PS2, and PS3 at this time.

keuja

Major Xbox markets like Japan, the Kongeriget of Denmark, Holland aka Netherlands and many many more.

The real key territories are China and India. Assuming a conservative 15% market penetration, thanks to Kinect sports Rival, it represents 390M Xbones by March, versus 7M PS4 (lol). Checkmate Sony.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The PS2 was *far* more powerful than anything out there March 2000. It was a powerhouse.
The Xbox (twice the size of the PS2) released November 2001 which made it possible to implement programmable shaders.

Funny enough for geometry, tessellation, vertex shaders alike, the VU's in the Emotion Engine allowed it to be years ahead of what you could do with primitives/vertices on Xbox or even PC GPU's and still do it very fast. Benefits of a well designed pair of programmable vector units. I really like how you could hide triangles, like thin triangles connecting on triangles strip to the next, just by setting a bit on vertices' W coordinate.

Dredd97

But it must have been an incredible amount of money to keep that game out of Sony's hands? A market of 80 million+ users gone

Potential market at least...

Ok so let's assume Titanfall goes gangbusters and could sell (total lifetime sales) on ps3 of about 8 mill units
Say about 2 mill on PS4.... That would equate to about ($60 ea) of $600 mill...
MS is effectively marketing TF for EA so scrub another $200 mill of that, that money hat would have had to have been worth $400 mill to EA....

I wonder how big the hat was?

Dire

Good god, when you put it that way

What the fuck were EA thinking?

They was an interview with an EA suit from 3 years ago stating that Titanfall (what was then being referred to as their 'unannounced sci fi shooter') would be released at an opportune marketing moment in around 2 years. Now present day zip a year past that date and they're still struggling to just get the game running well on the XBone/PC and ended up having to outsource the 360 version. Add in PS3/PS4 and who knows how much longer it would have been in development. Speculation is fun but I think this all paints a pretty decent picture that EA is probably not particularly happy with how long the game is taking and Microsoft effectively paid them to get it out ahead of schedule. Win win for everybody except gamers who are interested but don't own a PC or 360. This also goes to explain a bit why the game is relatively bare bones, why they are launching alpha/beta tests just weeks before it's supposed to be on store shelves, etc.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not a chance that is happening and if it starts Microsoft will gladly take out the wallet and start spending money
I agree, thats not gonna happen but MS taking out it's wallet to pay for support when investors want them to sell the brand? That'll be an even bigger reason for them to moan and I think that'll be the final nail in the coffin for them, I know MS has money but it's not a good business if you're having to pay 3rd party's to make games for your machine
Investors will go ape shit.
MS would be quicker to force another console on us then do that.

Toki767

Potential market at least...

Ok so let's assume Titanfall goes gangbusters and could sell (total lifetime sales) on ps3 of about 8 mill units
Say about 2 mill on PS4.... That would equate to about ($60 ea) of $600 mill...
MS is effectively marketing TF for EA so scrub another $200 mill of that, that money hat would have had to have been worth $400 mill to EA....

I wonder how big the hat was?

You know that $1 billion Microsoft was spending on games? Most of that probably went to Titanfall.

GT6 should have been a PS4 launch title. GT will push consoles in EU, Japan, South America, India and other territories where racing is huge. GT6 on PS3 this late was such a big waste. Either it should have been used to rescue Vita or Push PS4 ahead.

Considering how things have gone it would have been mad to have GT6 as a launch title, they already can't produce enough to meet all the demand. There's no chance in hell it would have been ready for launch anyway.

Dire

PS1:

4 months (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
10 months - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
16 months - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
22 months - September 30th, 1996 - 8.07 million
28 months - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million
7 months (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million
13 months - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million
19 months - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million
22 months - December 30th, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
13 months - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
2 weeks - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
3 months - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million

There's much celebration to be had at Sony HQ right now....PS4 is outpacing PS1, PS2, and PS3 at this time.

Those numbers are not really comparable though due to the fact that this generation's success was largely a result of massively more initial supply than ever available. What I think will be interesting and far more relevant is to see when sales start to level off.

panda-zebra

They have more than just Halo and Titanfall. Plus we don't know what new features they could be thinking of for future updates alongside (inevitable) price drops.

Based on my prediction, if the total number of consoles sold this gen is 200 million (just using it as a figure) then that would put the PS4 at 130 million, Xbox One at 70 million, and Wii U at 10 million. I think that's reasonable. We'll see though...

Not even if they gave them away in boxes of cereal. Completely unrealistic.

coldone

You know that $1 billion Microsoft was spending on games? Most of that probably went to Titanfall.

99% it is EA that mis-calculated the PS4 success. They probably were expecting Xbone to slaughter PS4 and dominate NA. With no-used games, EA probably was expecting to sell a lot more on Xbone without the steep taper of sales like the previous generation.

I have a feeling EA got shafted with the deal, than MS paying $400M+ for one game. They could build 4-5 studios with that amount of money.

Originally they were supposed to publish Sun Set Overdrive too. They got all cozied up with Microsoft ... If it was that huge sum of money it will be there in their earnings report some where.

madmackem

Those numbers are not really comparable though due to the fact that this generation's success was largely a result of massively more initial supply than ever available. What I think will be interesting and far more relevant is to see when sales start to level off.

Its also been totally sold out and hard to get, who know how many they couldve sold had they had even more launch day stock.

Bgamer90

Banned
Not even if they gave them away in boxes of cereal. Completely unrealistic.

If this gen lasts 7 years, that would be an average of around 10 million per year. Don't see how that would be impossible especially alongside appealing games, features, and price drops.

If this gen lasts 7 years, that would be an average of around 10 million per year. Don't see how that would be impossible especially alongside appealing games, features, and price drops.

It's impossible. The Xbox market is going to shrink tremendously WW and significantly in NA. Unless you expect the X1 to do 50 million in NA (not happening this gen what with the strong PS4), there isn't any way MS reaches 70.

Copenap

Without a huge price drop (talking drop to <=350$ here) pretty soon that is very unrealistic. 10 million a year is like the perfect storm (though in a positive way) scenario for the Xbone.

It's impossible. The Xbox market is going to shrink tremendously WW and significantly in NA. Unless you expect the X1 to do 50 million in NA (not happening this gen what with the strong PS4), there isn't any way MS reaches 70.

Yup. They are getting dominated in Europe and the 30 million lead they had in US + UK is completely gone. PS4 now has the lead. We are looking at a complete reversal of ps360 situation in US and UK.

breakfuss

Wow. Time for MS to drop the kinect and the price. There's just no denying it at this point. These numbers are absolutely insane. It's strange because I've never felt so unenthusiastic about a new gen (while also having more disposable income), lol, yet the world seems to know something I don't. Guess I'll be finding out for myself soon enough.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
This is very good for Sony. And to think, PS4 exclusives like inFamous: Second Son haven't been released yet.

Can you imagine once Sony reveals it's upcoming slate of PS4-exclusive games? Also, at this point, is the PS4 the fastest-selling console in history?

Mr Moose

Impressive... 7.5 - 8M by April? (Especially with it launching in Japan this month, it's going to be interesting).

Wow. Time for MS to drop the kinect and the price. There's just no denying it at this point. These numbers are absolutely insane. It's strange because I've never felt so unenthusiastic about a new gen (while also having more disposable income), lol, yet the world seems to know something I don't. Guess I'll be finding out for myself soon enough.
Sony-World confirmed? :)

It's sad, but I'm starting to think $800,000,000+ of that money was spent literally just walking into EA and saying, "What'll this get us?"

What's even sadder is that's still probably a better use of the money than what they would have accomplished investing into first-party production, if the previous efforts of Microsoft Games Studios are any indication. Probably going to be a far cry from the value they got out of Halo and Gears of War, though, and at a much steeper price.

I mean, everyone's talking about how upset EA must be they got in bed with Microsoft, but I'm not entirely sure Microsoft shouldn't have their own qualms about the way this relationship has gone. The FIFA and BF4 portions of their deal were a fart in a hurricane, and as good as TitanFall looks I have a sneaking suspicion it's not going to be worth the enormous expense associated with it to Microsoft.

I suppose a deal where everyone gets screwed (including the developers and gamers) is basically what you should expect out of MS Game Studios and EA being left alone in a room, though.

Bgamer90

Banned

Without a huge price drop (talking drop to <=350$ here) pretty soon that is very unrealistic. 10 million a year is like the perfect storm (though in a positive way) scenario for the Xbone.

Yup. They are getting dominated in Europe and the 30 million lead they had in US + UK is completely gone. PS4 now has the lead. We are looking at a complete reversal of ps360 situation in US and UK.

Heh, way too soon to say. Not impossible. This gen just got started and 70 million would still be less than what the 360 sold.

Vizzeh

Banned
Gamers have spoken...

congrats Sony. In work at the minute so cant go through entire thread but do we have a comparison from MS?

freefornow

Gold Member
Really good world wide sales results for the PS4.
Still a bit meh about their launch exclusives though. Future looks bright!

iMerc

I'm still trying to buy one in Sydney but haven't able to find one yet. >_<

yeah, i'm afraid unless you preorder one, you won't be getting one anytime soon.
just put a $20 down already dude. at least that way you can guaruntee a unit when the next shipment arrives.

Really good world wide sales results for the PS4.
Still a bit meh about their launch exclusives though. Future looks bright!

yep! it really is a great console. seems sony are the only ones who made careful, calculated decision with regards to their hardware this gen.

Copenap

Gamers have spoken...

congrats Sony. In work at the minute so cant go through entire thread but do we have a comparison from MS?
Nothing official, one member came up with an guesstimate of 3.3 million mainly based on the December numbers and January NPD which sounds reasonable.

Top Bottom