• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

I love the fact that they are so open with there data fantastic!

Well done Sony congrats!

they're not being that open. they wouldn't even give the NPD figure for january despite saying that they "nearly doubled" xbox one, which is sort of bizarre.

microsoft gave that number for every month that it beat the PS3 with the 360, though obviously thought better of it this time around.

Skeff

Hardly. The Xbox One is doing fantastic sales wise and has yet the launch in several key territories.

Key territories? such as?

Where do you feel MS have yet to launch where they will be successful?

Keep in mind of course that there are many European countries that have not officially launched but have pallets of XB1's available in retail chains.

EGOMON

How much PS4 costs to make? How many PS4s Sony need to sell to cover the production cost?
Not counting Software and PS+ just hardware sales

Yaoibot

I don't know about this "Japan has cooled on home consoles" bit when there hasn't been a compelling product in that market for years. It certainly wasn't the Wii U. To me Japan is a relative unknown. Very interested to see how it shakes out there.

Axass

That's great to hear, really. One day I'm sure I'll get one.

Though I can't help but wonder how it's selling so much right now, when there's just one great exclusive and lots of good-average third party games, that you can play on X1, PC and last gen systems. I can't fathom what the sales will be when many great exclusives will be finally released.

panda-zebra

If this gen lasts 7 years, that would be an average of around 10 million per year. Don't see how that would be impossible especially alongside appealing games, features, and price drops.

It's not impossible, it's unrealistic. When do we see the xbox one reaching even the first of those 10 million units? I can't see that far, to me it seems like even that first hurdle is way distant on the horizon.

Skeff

How much PS4 costs to make? How many PS4s Sony need to sell to cover the production cost?
Not counting Software and PS+ just hardware sales

It's estimated that each PS4 to be manufactured, shipped to retail and sold with retailers cut probably costs around $410 total, so they're losing $10 if you buy with nothing else, but Sony are profiting with 1 game/accessory/PS+ sale.

Regarding R+D and marketing to be recouped, we don't know.

I don't know about this "Japan has cooled on home consoles" bit when there hasn't been a compelling product in that market for years. It certainly wasn't the Wii U. To me Japan is a relative unknown. Very interested to see how it shakes out there.

The question is what make the PS4 more compelling than those other consoles? So far it certainly isn't the software line-up.

Well deserved. They had the right message from the second they announced their product and they're reaping the benefits from that. Having a more powerful system that will play the 3rd party games better while being $100 cheaper? can't get better than that.

Yup. They are getting dominated in Europe and the 30 million lead they had in US + UK is completely gone. PS4 now has the lead. We are looking at a complete reversal of ps360 situation in US and UK.

Unlike PS3, bone has no chance of a comeback in any territory either.

Wow. Time for MS to drop the kinect and the price. There's just no denying it at this point.

They should drop bone altogether.

SmokyDave

Good on 'em, it's a fucking killer machine for the price.

The question is what make the PS4 more compelling than those other consoles? So far it certainly isn't the software line-up.
All the best versions of all the biggest franchises? That's pretty compelling, before we look at the inevitable first party excellence down the line.

PS1:

4 months (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
10 months - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
16 months - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
22 months - September 30th, 1996 - 8.07 million
28 months - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million
7 months (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million
13 months - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million
19 months - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million
22 months - December 30th, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
13 months - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
2 weeks - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
3 months - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million

There's much celebration to be had at Sony HQ right now....PS4 is outpacing PS1, PS2, and PS3 at this time.
Blimey. That's quite something.

Dead Man

PS1:

4 months (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
10 months - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
16 months - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
22 months - September 30th, 1996 - 8.07 million
28 months - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million
7 months (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million
13 months - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million
19 months - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million
22 months - December 30th, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
13 months - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
2 weeks - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
3 months - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million

There's much celebration to be had at Sony HQ right now....PS4 is outpacing PS1, PS2, and PS3 at this time.

Are there aggregate numbers for PS2 that include the first 3-4 months in major territories?

Skeff

And yet the Wii U still sold 300k+ on their Japan launch weekend. Are people really expecting the PS4 to post less than 300k?

The best console multiplats for the next 7 years as well as the knowledge that Sony 1st party will deliver, Honestly I think TLoU is selling PS4's in one way or another.

fasTRapid

Banned
Once Microsoft drops the price they will equal out in North America at least.
Probably not. Just think of all the bros who will already have bought PS4s until then. Their friends will likely buy PS4s too!
It's estimated that each PS4 to be manufactured, shipped to retail and sold with retailers cut probably costs around $410 total, so they're losing $10 if you buy with nothing else...
That is SCEA-only. SCEE is already making a profit if you only buy the console, because of currency conversion rates and stuff.

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2013/11/03/ps4-is-already-profitable-at-399-says-sony

0510_rvufy.gif

Are there aggregate numbers for PS2 that include the first 3-4 months in major territories?

This is as close as you will get:

March 2001:

10.61 LTD Worldwide
- 4.75 LTD Japan + Asia (March 2000 - March 2001)
- 3.01 LTD North America (October 2000 - March 2001)
- 2.85 LTD PAL (November 2000 - March 2001)

Into

People said the UK market was doomed, because they did not buy consoles anymore and have moved on to tablets and smartphones, does this remind you of any other markets?

Turns out, PS4 sets a record there and continues to do well, with several games in the top 20 each week.

It turned out that people in the UK just moved on, and had it up to here with ancient consoles released back when George W Bush was still president of US.

With Wii dying years ago and PS3 just barely doing 10-15k in Japan on a weekly basis, its quite possible that Japan moved on, not from "consoles" but from "consoles from 8 years ago"

I think the PS4 will do better than most pessimists expect, not PS2 numbers, but decent enough, PS3 esque if not slightly better.

And if it does not, and i am forced to eat crow, i can always blame the weather! Viva la Media Create!

Replicant

* It ACTUALLY has 3rd party games in it.
* Technology-wise, the console is ahead of the pack.
* It has a somewhat new game-related functions (in console) such as screenshot, video recording and broadcast, which believe it or not, are very useful, fun, and help many people to be the attention whore that they never thought they are. If Sony can work a deal with Nico Nico Douga on top of Twitch and Ustream, I'm sure many Japanese gamers would even be more interested.
* The game actually looks drool-worthy and most are the best version you can find on console.
* The price vs the tech you get is pretty reasonable.

Mario007

And yet the Wii U still sold 300k+ on their Japan launch weekend. Are people really expecting the PS4 to post less than 300k?

The best console multiplats for the next 7 years as well as the knowledge that Sony 1st party will deliver, Honestly I think TLoU is selling PS4's in one way or another.
No i think 300k+ launch is epected. The question is what happens after that seeing that the only 3 pieces of notable software for the rest of 2014 are MGS and FFXIV which are cross gen, with FFXIV already being released, and Deep Down which is f2p.

lucius

Had they keep up the supply with demand in NA and couple other places it easily would have hit 6 million.

They made the right choice to focus on the West before Japan. I'm really expecting it to flop over there, their market is a complete mess at the moment and really seems driven by mobile.

What an insane number.

At this point it is safe to say now that Xbone supply has surpassed its demand and that is not the case at all for PS4. Unless Sony fuck up something very badly, I bet we will see PS4 total domination as early as August this year.

Radec

We PS4 owners are just staring at our system for months now as we don't have anything to do with it like play the superior version of games, free stuff from PS+, and probably some live streaming shit on twitch.

-_-

* It ACTUALLY has 3rd party games in it.
* Technology-wise, the console is ahead of the pack.
* It has a somewhat new game-related functions (in console) such as screenshot, video recording and broadcast, which believe it or not, are very useful, fun, and help many people to be the attention whore that they never thought they are. If Sony can work a deal with Nico Nico Douga on top of Twitch and Ustream, I'm sure many Japanese gamers would even be more interested.
* The game actually looks drool-worthy and most are the best version you can find on console.
* The price vs the tech you get is pretty reasonable.

You forgot to mention the PS4 also is the home of the slayer of all other platformers, Knack.

Skeff

Probably not. Just think of all the bros who will already have bought PS4s until then. Their friends will likely buy PS4s too!

Certainly a possibility, If CBOAT is right and the decision will be made in May after titanfall, then a June (E3) announcement would be likely.

The PS4 install base in June could be significant, Also I'd guess Sony will be launching an offer at their E3 presser too, maybe free KZ bundled or something, essentially a small value add, an XB1 pricecut would have to be soon IMO to prevent the "my friends have a PS4" mentality from maturing.

No i think 300k+ launch is epected. The question is what happens after that seeing that the only 3 pieces of notable software for the rest of 2014 are MGS and FFXIV which are cross gen, with FFXIV already being released, and Deep Down which is f2p.

I'd say Japan gamers are currently better set than US gamers:

Dynasty Warriors
FF14
MGS
Lily Bergamo
Deep Down - is f2p frowned upon in japan? it looks like this would be popular.
Yakuza ishin
Natural doctrine
guilty gear xrd
Wonderflick

Seems like an impressive line up to me of announced games before the system even launches.

I don't know if the PS4 will sell well throughout the year, but if it doesn't I don't think it will be because of a lack of japan oriented games.

There are several more titles and like the PS3 I'm sure more will be announced (PS3 had a summer event were titles were announced and some released later that year).

Xater

At this point it is safe to say now that Xbone supply has surpassed its demand and that is not the case at all for PS4. Unless Sony fuck up something very badly, I bet we will see PS4 total domination as early as August this year.

Yeah that is a save assumption. I think the Xbone supply very quickly outdid the demand here in Europe judging by the stacks of these consoles shortly after release.

Axass

Oh come on. That is a ridiculous comment. The Xbox one is a fantastic console media hub.

As far as games go it's right there with the PS4, it doesn't have that great of a line-up, but it costs more, so as a simple console I wouldn't say it's fantastic. The cost is justified only if you think it as a general entertainment system, which is the one thing X1 does better than PS4 as far as I see.

Interesting that the most traditional console without hardware gimmicks as selling point is the most successful console.
Combine it with a reasonable price and hardware power and console business can be so easy.

coldone

Japanese market by itself is small. Hard for devs to budget for HD consoles. It a death spiral for home consoles there. It will probably sell 1-2M consoles every year.

No big PS4 games coming from Japan this year. No one cares about Knack, KZ:SF etc. Sony could have done some thing.. at least a 2D fighter with Capcom or some thing. Without any games and no 3rd party support... PS4 is facing the same problem as WiiU is facing in west.

Japanese market by itself is small. Hard for devs to budget for HD consoles. It a death spiral for home consoles there. It will probably sell 1-2M consoles every year.

No big PS4 games coming from Japan this year. No one cares about Knack, KZ:SF etc. Sony could have done some thing.. at least a 2D fighter with Capcom or some thing. Without any games and no 3rd party support... PS4 is facing the same problem as WiiU is facing in west.

2D fighters don't even sell in Japan while GTA IV sold 700k. Not sure what you mental image of the Japanese console market is.

Replicant

Pretty sure it's getting Yakuza: Ishin, MGS: GZ, and Guilty Gear: Xrd Sign this year.

EGOMON

It's estimated that each PS4 to be manufactured, shipped to retail and sold with retailers cut probably costs around $410 total, so they're losing $10 if you buy with nothing else, but Sony are profiting with 1 game/accessory/PS+ sale.

Regarding R+D and marketing to be recouped, we don't know.

Thats way much better than i thought, Sony really did an amazing job with PS4

Just imagine on the day when the PS4 launch in Japan, the folks from Square come out and announce a FF7 remake exclusive to the PS4. Bam! there goes another 10 millions unit sold in Japan.

Top Bottom