• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

How does this stack up against PS2/3? More interesting to me.

Aqua did a comparison earlier in the thread.

Here:

PS1:

4 months (one territory) - March 31st, 1995 - 0.85 million
10 months - September 30th, 1995 - 1.77 million
16 months - March 31st, 1996 - 4.26 million
22 months - September 30th, 1996 - 8.07 million
28 months - March 31st, 1997 - 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) - March 31st, 2000 - 1.41 million
7 months (one territory) - September 30th, 2000 - 3.52 million
13 months - March 31st, 2001 - 10.61 million
19 months - September 30th, 2001 - 19.58 million
22 months - December 30th, 2001 - 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month - December 31st, 2006 - 1.7 million
4 months - March 31st, 2007 - 3.5 million
7 months - June 30th, 2007 - 4.2 million
10 months - September 30th, 2007 - 5.5 million
13 months - December 31st, 2007 - 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day - November 16th, 2013 - 1 million
2 weeks - December 1st, 2013 - 2.1 million
1 month - December 28th, 2013 - 4.2 million
3 months - February 8th, 2014 - 5.3 million

There's much celebration to be had at Sony HQ right now....PS4 is outpacing PS1, PS2, and PS3 at this time.

There, I clarified:

Wii U sales "shipped to retailers, a lot of stock sitting on shelves":

1 month: December 31st, 2012: 3.06 million
4 months: March 31st, 2013: 3.45 million
7 months: June 30th, 2013: 3.61 million
10 months: September 30th, 2013: 3.91 million
13 months: December 30th, 2013: 5.86 million

PS4 sales "shipped to retailers, all of the stock sells through super-fast so it's essentially sell-through numbers":

1 day: November 16th, 2013: 1 million
2 weeks: December 1st, 2013: 2.1 million
1 month: December 28th, 2013: 4.2 million
3 months: February 8th, 2014: 5.3 million

The sales trajectory is ridiculous compared to Wii U.

I never said it's going be a saviour, writing the game off before it's even been released however, I don't agree with it, especially given the positivity.

I'm not writing it off. Titanfall will review well and sell a lot, likely with a very high attach ratio on X1; however, outside of a 1 or 2 week boost it won't be turning X1 hardware sales around.

WAY ahead of PS3, and the PS2 had huge supply/manufacturing roadblocks so I wouldn't exactly compare them.

Maybe compare to the Wii?
So instead of comparing a supply constrained device to another supply constrained device it would be better to compare it to an even more supply constrained device? LOL

Congrats to Sony, they delivered a great product and did an even better job marketing it. They deserve this success.

So instead of comparing a supply constrained device to another supply constrained device it would be better to compare it to an even more supply constrained device? LOL

Wii didn't have the same manufacturing problems the PS2 did. Wii was supply constrained due to popularity much like the PS4 is. PS2 manufacturing was dog slow and many units had defects for the first year of life, and it was a massive undertaking.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Wii

Wii's 1st quarter on sale - 3.19M (Launched November 12th in most territories)
Wii's second quarter - 2.65 (Ends March 31)

5.84M in 4 Months and some change.

PS4 on track to meet or exceed that, EASY. PS4 has one month and 12 days to sell another 500K units to exceed that.

The numbers are insane. Sony for good or worse will dominate this generation once again. But this time they will have the strongest console too (HW wise). I have no idea when we had this kind of scenario before.

You're being awfully generous. The X1 sold 140k in NA, probably less than thay in the rest of the world. They're probably hovering around 3-3.2 million at best (it's been speculated that that 3 million figure was likely rounded up)

What's worse is that means there's a good 800k+ X1s sitting on shelves
Now you're being generous. ;)

They shipped 3.9M in 2013, and as you say, about 1M of those went unsold. They probably sold another 200K worldwide in January, which would put them at 800K unsold, but Pacther said they're building 1M/mo, so you need to add in January's production, which would give them about 1800K unsold at the end of January. Probably ~2600K unsold by the end of February.

Of course, this assumes they haven't cut production yet, but we haven't heard of them doing so AFAIK. It's also possible they haven't actually shipped any of the ~1.5M units built in 2014, in which case you'd be right again. :p

N.Domixis

Banned
These are great numbers, especially since the PS4 in its first 3 months has outpaced the PSOne, PS2, and PS3 respectively.

What I'm waiting for is the Major Nelson spin on how the Xbone is the fastest selling console in the month of February on a leap year, on the week of the 15th, when it's below 32 degrees out, and the moon is beginning a new cycle.

They will say the it was the fastest selling console* in history.

*includes both XBOX ONE and XBOX 360 consoles.

Yeah but when Titanfall shifts 1 million Xbox Ones then who'll be laughing!?

So you think Titanfall will shift* more Xboxes than Halo 3?

*shift = average % increase in sales for 2 months vs regular monthly average.

There was arguably something that shifted a shit-ton of Xboxes once upon a time, more than Halo 3 and Gears.

It was the original Kinect

Respawn was doing it timed, but MS outright paid to keep off PlayStation completely, see Zampella's tweet. The game would have come out regardless of MS paying or not

Sorry, but the tweets I know from him don't say that MS paid them to shelf a existing PS4 version.

FiggyCal

Banned
Now you're being generous. ;)

They shipped 3.9M in 2013, and as you say, about 1M of those went unsold. They probably sold another 200K worldwide in January, which would put them at 800K unsold, but Pacther said they're building 1M/mo, so you need to add in January's production, which would give them about 1800K unsold at the end of January. Probably ~2600K unsold by the end of February.

Of course, this assumes they haven't cut production yet, but we haven't heard of them doing so AFAIK. It's also possible they haven't actually shipped any of the ~1.5M units built in 2014, in which case you'd be right again. :p

You're also assuming that Pachter's prediction of 1 million a month is correct.

I'm not writing it off. Titanfall will review well and sell a lot, likely with a very high attach ratio on X1; however, outside of a 1 or 2 week boost it won't be turning X1 hardware sales around.

I see. Well we shall see what the future holds. I'm not dismissing anything.

I'm getting flashbacks of when some website conducted a developer poll. And almost everyone unanimously picked the Durango as the leader out the gate and throughout the generation. I wish I could find the link.

Sorry, but the tweets I know from him don't say that MS paid them to shelf a existing PS4 version.

Not outright, but if you can read between the lines, it's quite obvious that's what he's getting at.

"Always exclusive at the beginning, EA made a deal for the rest" followed by "Only the first game" (was included in that deal).

Whether or not they were already working on other versions is another matter entirely, but that those tweets make it quite clear they were at the very least considering releasing elsewhere.

Whenever Respawn was asked about Titanfall coming to other platforms during E3 : "we would love to be at every platform, but reasons, etcetc, focusing on XB1 first, no plans for other platform, small team."

Translation: we're timed exclusive for a longer period of time compared to Peggle2/Garden Warfare. Long enough that we're denying that it's coming to other platforms, but still waggle around and say stuff like 'we want to be everywhere.'

Was there a PS4 version in development? Who knows? Maybe yes, maybe no.

I've always believed that MS bought the timed exclusivity for only one reason. MS didn't like Respawn fidgeting around the question of it possibly coming to other platforms. MS wanted to establish it as an exclusive, and stop any narrative that it may come to other platforms eventually.

fade_

Found in PC version. Notice mention of PS4 and PS3.

post-41665-0-47539800-1392497028_thumb.png

This is really the PlayStation 2 + 2. Sony domination has returned. People initially projected the Xbox to win because if the 360s success, but MS just made the same damn mistakes that Sony did with the PS3 and worse.

johnny956

5.3m+ as of Feb 8 2014, excellent. I don't think it's a stretch to predict 6m by the end of Feb with Japan's imminent launch. End of march? Maybe 6.5-7m. We're rapidly reaching 2:1 global ratio to Xbox.

Xbox is still hanging in there, though. They're not going to end up missing 3rd party titles. Any sales talk has nothing to do with people enjoying their systems/games.

Considering this was 10 days ago and with the launch of Japan on the 22nd I see 6m to 6.3m.

Someone posted a article that showed 65% of PS4's booked already for the launch in japan (not sure if accurate or not). So if Sony is stocks japan with 500k at launch that's 325k already booked before day 1. I think they are going to have a amazing launch in japan.

Chindogg

Anyone know what the attach rate is on PS4? I'm curious to see what software people are buying with all this new hardware.

Skeff

Wow, so they really "canned" ps3 and ps4 versions? Have fun watching Activision eat your lunch yet again EA.

Well since Titanfall is MP only expect the engine development to be used to create Titanfall 2 on Sony platforms with the maps of Titanfall 1 as DLC. It won't be scrapped, a studio the size of respawn can't afford to do that. (afford as in man hours of development not just EA cash)

Great news!! Can't wait to get mine next month!

I really wanna get it from newegg.com cause they don't charge tax in my area, but they're still pressing on those stupid bundles!!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I still think MS probably under paid, as EA probably assumed before launch that XB1 games would outsell PS4 games by x% based on their history with 360/PS3 games and they probably also underestimated the PS4 install base at this point. Ps4 has sold gangbusters, and every EA title has sold more on PS4 than XB1 so far. I can't imagine EA calculated the lost sales numbers by going exclusive right.

dude..... I guarantee MS got a fucking steal on TitanFall given how the install bases are turning out. Hopefully the whole fiasco will signal the end of selling third party exclusivity.

DBT85

Just so we are all clear, from 2008.

“This year will be the largest in the history of the video game industry, with Xbox 360 leading the charge in the U.S. and abroad,” said Don Mattrick, Microsoft senior VP of Interactive Entertainment Business in the Entertainment and Devices Division at Microsoft. (phew) “History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle. We are uniquely positioned to set a new benchmark for the industry.”

johnny956

I also think Sony has been withholding February shipments for Japan's launch and not January. Just saying this based on our shipments for our store (and district) for this month. Substantially smaller then January shipments so far.

Does this number make the 1.4 million production estimate incorrect? I would put it closer to 1 million

dude..... I guarantee MS got a fucking steal on TitanFall. Hopefully the whole fiasco will signal the end of buying third party exclusives.

I want that to be true, that only messes with gamers on other systems. I have no issue if a dev decides to make an exclusive on their own accord or if a one of the big 3 funds a game that was never going to be made in the first place (Dead Riaing 3, Bayonetta 2) but paying to stop a game from going to a rival system is just wrong.

Found in PC version. Notice mention of PS4 and PS3.

post-41665-0-47539800-1392497028_thumb.png
Oh wow, well Zampella did say "Of course we will, just not the first Titanfall". I'm assuming the second one will be on PS4 if Microsoft doesn't pay way too much money to secure the franchise, I'm sure EA is kicking themselves about this enough right now.

Still, it's unfortunate that it isn't just that it wasn't made but that it just got canned, lost out on a 1080p console release, didn't we?

Oh and my post before this was sarcastic, yes.

Im glad Sony is proving that A. Console gaming isn't "dead" and B. Forcing MS to be more competitive, and hopefully drop the X1 price in time for the next Halo launch *Crosses Fingers

Top Bottom