• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

Shengar

I so hope everyone is wrong and Sony crushes in Japan.

In short term, PS4 will be struggling. People may have thought that Japan have completely moved to handheld and mobile, but I think that wasn't true. GTA V just reached 700k number in the last Media Create Sales thread. This shows that people still buying game for console, only if they actually there. Generation 7 make many people moved to handheld because the games were there. If PS4 can move them back to console, console could thrive again in Japan. But it needs 3 years at least to show some effect. Sony needs to be proactive too to attract 3rd party developers to their console platform.

Should easily hit 6 million after the Japanese launch.

6.75-7 million by the end of March does seem doable.

I still cant see it hitting 10 million by E3 but it should be close.

Verendus

Banned
I'm not ashamed to say that I'm a proud owner of the Knack PS4 bundle, With it being described as a small title, hopefully the sales will be good enough for a sequel despite the reception by critics. I'd like a little more platforming and more special modes like stealth knack which would be available at different times in the game and perhaps needed for simple "puzzles", But a solid launch game IMO
The sales are good, especially considering how little it cost to develop. It may not end up selling something ridiculous like 4-5 million, but it'll end up as a multimillion seller by the time it's done. It's a successful project all things considered. Killzone should settle around the 4 million mark at the rate it's going. Granted, this success is largely thanks to them being launch exclusives, but it's also why it made sense for them to be there since they're the kind of games that would benefit from it most.

More than anything though, I'm more hopeful for Infamous. I've always thought it had a solid chance at selling around 4-5 million, since it's releasing shortly after launch and is being positioned well as one of the more notable games when the launch fervor is over. The success of the PS4 should really help it now and give it a solid boost. At least, that's what I hope.

DBT85

Why are people so optimistic that PS4 is going to do so well when it's clear that Japan has moved on from home consoles to mobile gaming?

Some just think that Japan has been missing a compelling product and that the PS4 can reignite the passion that the PS2 gave.

It's gonna do well.

Just not PS3 well.

The PS3 sold 80k in the first day. Everyone hopes the PS4 does a bit better than that lol

FootballFan

Should easily hit 6 million after the Japanese launch.

6.75-7 million by the end of March does seem doable.

I still cant see it hitting 10 million by E3 but it should be close.

So what are we talking toward the end of the year, say December. 12-15 mil or more?

It would be quite an achievement.

mujun

They have two versions of the PS4 in Japan? What are they?

How long has it been up on Amazon? How many do they have?

With camera and without.

Initial pre-orders sold out very quickly. I woke up early in the morning to lock mine in in November. Since then it has been available on and off for short periods over the last two and a half months or so. Over the last two or so weeks though it has pretty much constantly been available.

As to retailers, in my experience they never allow you to pre-order unless they have stock.

Because the PS4 is hotly anticipated since there's lots of good word of mouth going on in the rest of the world, and because they've had to wait 3 monts post-launch.

What are the titles that the Japanese audience will run to the store to buy system for? I just don't see it

What are the titles that the Japanese audience will run to the store to buy system for? I just don't see it

What are the titles that the rest of the world ran out to the store to buy a PS4 for?

Why is this thread full of people who think the Japanese are Mooninites or something?

What are the titles that American audiences were running to the store to buy PS4 for?

Launches are launches. Pretending that a console needs 1 killer game at launch ignores the entirety of the history of console launches. People were buying 360's at launch to play Perfect Dark Zero.
I was one them. ;_;

Verendus

Banned
PS4 will have a decent start. It won't be shattering records or anything, but I think that's expected. It's more of a matter of it achieving a consistent and sustainable baseline of sales in the long-term. That's the real challenge and Japan is more difficult to predict in that respect. I think the the sales in the rest of the world aren't hugely surprising since the pre-order numbers gave a strong indication that it's going to do very well, and it was priced and positioned extremely well. Of course, even there, it still remains to be seen how the coming months fare but they should be good from the looks of it. Next year will likely be a much bigger year for the PS4 in Japan, but more announcements of Japanese oriented games, and even the release window of FFXV hopefully should help somewhat. At launch though, PS4 does have some okay games for the Japanese market even if some are available on the PS3 also.

TomShoe

Banned

Good word of mouth is the best system seller, IMO.

But, I think I've got a few potential winners here:

Dynasty Warriors 8
Joysound Dive 2
Nikoli no Puzzle Sudoku
Nobunaga no Yabō: Sozō
YAKUZA 5
Trine 2
Resogun
Killzone: Shadow Fall
FIFA 14

Japanese only is in italics. Let me know if I missed any.

The only true place to play Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Yakuza and Dynasty Warriors
Exactly.

People are buying these consoles mostly on the promise of their future line up. Prettier versions of Battlefield and Call of Duty in the west or Yakuza, Final Fantasy, and Dynasty Warriors in Japan make these people go "might as well get it now".

ReBurn

Gold Member
What are the titles that the rest of the world ran out to the store to buy a PS4 for?

Why is this thread full of people who think the Japanese are Mooninites or something?

The fact that people are running out and buying so many PS4's with few compelling games actually concerns me. It makes me wonder if it is riding some sort of hype bubble at the moment that will lead to a bottoming out period soon.

DBT85

The fact that people are running out and buying so many PS4's with few compelling games actually concerns me. It makes me wonder if it is riding some sort of hype bubble at the moment that will lead to a bottoming out period soon.

Or they are buying them and enjoying their yearly Fifa, Cods, BFs and Ass Creeds, in the knowledge that Infamous, DriveClub, et al are coming.

I can't believe people are expecting the PS4 to have less lifetime sales compared to the PS3! That's asinine. Starting off on a strong positive note is great but I agree it can be temporary. I believe Sony is in a much better situation this time around due to the CPU and GPU being on one chip! I think we'll see cost reductions much faster and earlier. And as a result I see the MSRP reaching the mass market $249 earlier than people predict. My guess is end of 2016 we'll see $249.

mo60

If sony's smart they won't let what happened to the wii when it was in a similar position happen to the PS4, but the PS4's sales bubble may still burst no matter what they do, but I highly doubt this will happen.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Or they are buying them and enjoying their yearly Fifa, Cods, BFs and Ass Creeds, in the knowledge that Infamous, DriveClub, et al are coming.

I hope that's the case. But having played a few of those games on PS3 as well as PS4 they aren't really worth the extra $400 for just the graphical bump. Especially the ones that are mostly played online that are now behind a paywall on PS4.

I bought a PS4 in the last couple of weeks, too. Mostly for Infamous and Driveclub because I didn't want to be without a console when they drop. I just wonder if the momentum can sustain itself.

Endo Punk

Too many cross gen Japanese games on PS4 so I don't see them helping. The only way PS4 will sell out in Japan is if Western hype has affected them in any way. Also PS4 is a very slick looking system, that might help too,

A_Gorilla

Banned

ITT: Third-party multiplats don't exist.

Shengar

Too many cross gen Japanese games on PS4 so I don't see them helping. The only way PS4 will sell out in Japan is if Western hype has affected them in any way. Also PS4 is a very slick looking system, that might help too,

GTA V reached 700k, if that tell you something.

Can we get Japanese Culture Expert to get his thoughts on how PS4 will do?

I don't know what you know about Japanese culture, I'm an expert... blah blah blah.

Really the market in Japan seems so dramatically different these days anyone who comes close to predicting how the PS4 does there is just making a lucky guess. I would not be shocked to see it sell better than any console launch ever, nor would I be shocked to see it be near one of the worst launches ever. There seems to be some pent up demand for it, however it's not launching with anything that looks like it will drive sales, and the console market in Japan seems really lethargic.

Reaching deep into my ass, 149,000 day 1.

darkwing

I don't know what you know about Japanese culture, I'm an expert... blah blah blah.

Really the market in Japan seems so dramatically different these days anyone who comes close to predicting how the PS4 does there is just making a lucky guess. I would not be shocked to see it sell better than any console launch ever, nor would I be shocked to see it be near one of the worst launches ever. There seems to be some pent up demand for it, however it's not launching with anything that looks like it will drive sales, and the console market in Japan seems really lethargic.

Reaching deep into my ass, 149,000 day 1.

it has to be better than the PS3s day 1 or else console gaming is really dead in Japan

Good word of mouth is the best system seller, IMO.

But, I think I've got a few potential winners here:

Dynasty Warriors 8
Joysound Dive 2
Nikoli no Puzzle Sudoku
Nobunaga no Yabō: Sozō
YAKUZA 5
Trine 2
Resogun
Killzone: Shadow Fall
FIFA 14

Japanese only is in italics. Let me know if I missed any.
PS4 needs to hurry up and sell 100M so we can start getting Nobunaga's Ambition in the US again. ;.;

cafemomo

it has to be better than the PS3s day 1 or else console gaming is really dead in Japan

While gaming has gone towards handhelds like Vita and mobiles the PS4 is still the only viable place where you can play MGS, FF, Yakuza, DW, etc..

It's not gonna make a huge splash overall, but it will a hell of a lot healthier than the WiiU

I prefer to be conservative and estimate mid-late 2014 rather than early. PS4 demand is very high right now but when supply meets demand there could be a significant drop off. I also think MS will introduce a $399 model after Titanfall doesn't move the units they expect.

Sony will probably sell about 300-500k consoles in Japan.

The Titanfall model introduction will come AFTER the PS4 hits 2:1, though.

And all this talk of price cuts and new bundles only causes sales to tumble for the Xbox One.

But that introduces the new defense.

"The Xbox One sales are only low in February and March because people were only waiting for the inevitable price drop."

vivftp

Damned impressed by the numbers. I'm thinking between the 100 games coming out this year for PS4, E3 hype, PS Now, the virtual reality headset and the wave of hype the PS4 is currently riding on, this is going to be a monster year for them. So what outlandish number should we predict by the end of the next fiscal year in 2015? 20 million? Or is that actually within the realm of possibility given what we're seeing?

The Titanfall model introduction will come AFTER the PS4 hits 2:1, though.

And all this talk of price cuts and new bundles only causes sales to tumble for the Xbox One.

But that introduces the new defense.

"The Xbox One sales are only low in February and March because people were only waiting for the inevitable price drop."

True but as you are suggesting it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. As more and more people hear about possible future pricedrops they are less willing to put the money down now. Thus sales go down thus the pressure to drop the price increases

Past Kyle vindicated

Jburton

Banned
I prefer to be conservative and estimate mid-late 2014 rather than early. PS4 demand is very high right now but when supply meets demand there could be a significant drop off. I also think MS will introduce a $399 model after Titanfall doesn't move the units they expect.

Sony will probably sell about 300-500k consoles in Japan.

Why would demand drop off as production meets the level of demand? ......... seems a leap in the dark in terms of logic.

Top Bottom