• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sales have surpassed 5.3 million units according to Sony (As of Feb 8)

S¡mon

Banned
The biggest Dutch online retailer (Bol.com - basically the Amazon of the United States), today announced that all pre-orders placed before November 10th, 2013 will be fullfilled and delivered this weekend.

Yep, I'd say that the PS4 is supply constrained - at least in the Netherlands. Not a big market, to be fair, but still.

Even if the current sold out status does dwindle down after a few months... I expect it to ramp up in the summer leading to the Destiny launch in September

Likely Activision will go on a marketing blitz with the title, seeing as the expect big things with it and due to the PS marketing deal commercials/tv spots will likely advertise the PS4 version... We will likely get a PS4 Destiny bundle and the early beta for Playstation user will be extra publicity

Judging by sales at this point third parties are actually a lot more relevant than first parties.

I'd argue that most of the PS4's advantage over the Xbox One comes from being $100 cheaper and running every game either the same or (quite often) better, making it the preferred place for multiplatform games, except for consumers who don't find performance or price relevant factors.

A further problem is that consumers who don't find performance or price relevant factors tend to fall into a third group: consumers whose primary deciding factor is where their friends are playing multiplayer games.

People talk a lot about Halo and Gears of War, and they certainly contributed into it, but the 360's true "killer ap" was X-Box Live. The thing that made it a juggernaut was that it got out to an early lead and established itself as the place for online multiplayer. The PS3 had to take a much more single-player focused approach to claw its way back into the generation, because the 360 became the de facto destination for most people to play multiplayer games, regardless of quality/price.

Unfortunately, the XB1 has largely ceded that advantage due to no longer having a strong divider in terms of online service or a larger early install base. Microsoft's likely going to need to dramatically shift their focus from online-only multiplayer games like TitanFall toward single player experiences if they want to see a PS3-like recovery, because most people are going to buy multiplayer games on PS4 simply due to the fact more of their friends are on PS4 (and PS+) and so they have no choice if they want to play with them.

I'm interested to see if they can make the necessary adjustments. We know that they weren't particularly keen on single-player experiences going into the generation - they sent several developers pitching games to them packing with talk about how they were "more interested in socially-connected experiences" - which means that even if they do see the writing on the wall and shift gears, it's likely to be a year or more before they can actually see the effort bear fruit.

Decided to redo the Japan chart with Vita and 3DS. You can see how mobile focused they are. I originally added Vita to see if interest in it correlated with interest in PS4. You can see clear spikes around launch and then the price drop. It seems to have stabilized to a slow rise (which I think is reflected in a higher stabilized sales level in the media create numbers), but I don't see any kind of correlation with PS4 interest.

Mdqd3tR.png

I added "リモートプレイ" (google translate of remote play) to investigate further, but that's very low down with respect to the curves above (peaking at 1 in normalized interest). I singled it out in the graph below to show that interest in remote play is steadily rising (with big spike at Vita launch), but its overall interest vs. vita interest is a very small fraction of the total. If the trends are any indication, ps4 will give a modest bump to vita, but nothing significant or game changing.

4n4A8t9.png

Even if the current sold out status does dwindle down after a few months... I expect it to ramp up in the summer leading to the Destiny launch in September

Likely Activision will go on a marketing blitz with the title, seeing as the expect big things with it and due to the PS marketing deal commercials/tv spots will likely advertise the PS4 version... We will likely get a PS4 Destiny bundle and the early beta for Playstation user will be extra publicity
Yeah, Destiny could turn out to be fairly huge. Bungie certainly know what they're doing, at least, and they'll have had plenty of time to come to grips with the new hardware.

Dinjooh

make that +1, it was finally in stock here and I GOT ONE!!! :)
will have it on monday!.

gg ;)

Some friends of mine are still on waiting lists here in Denmark. They are available at some places, but they're overcharging by quite a lot.

PS4 been in that top spot the last 6 months or so. Actually i'm quite impressed that the Xbone is even on this list, seeing as it hasn't even officially launched here yet.

chrislowe

gg ;)

Some friends of mine are still on waiting lists here in Denmark. They are available at some places, but they're overcharging by quite a lot.

PS4 been in that top spot the last 6 months or so. Actually i'm quite impressed that the Xbone is even on this list, seeing as it hasn't even officially launched here yet.

Actually, im more impressed when talking to friends, and they say like "WHAT?, The Xbox One is less powerfull then PS4?.. nah, it cant be true"

chrislowe

Nice! I hope you enjoy it! :)

Actually, I think I will enjoy it.

My history goes like, Atari 2600, Zx Spectrum, Zx Spectrum 128kB, C64, and another C64 which i rebuild myself with lots of stuff.. Nintendo NES, then Amiga 500 (also rebuild), Atari ST1024E, and Amiga 2000..Nintendo Gameboy, then Amiga 1200, Atari Falcon, Atari Jaguar, Apple IIFX, Apple mcbook 540C, PC, SNES, Megadrive, Multimega, (CDX), PS1, Saturn, Nintendo 64, PS2, XBox,NeoGeo Pocket, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, 3ds, Vita, and now PS4 :)

Love games no matter what :)

Top Bottom