• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 SDK updates hint at possibly allowing PSN ID changes in the future?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Been waiting a long time for this....not about to give up my 30 platinum trophies and 2,300 + trophies on my current id that I don't care for anymore lol. Hopefully sooner than later!

I've never dug into this issue enough, so a dumb question. Is there a realistic way to put this in place without breaking multiplayer/leaderboards/trophies/etc for older games that are unlikely to get patched?

Already just bit the bullet and made a new account a year and a half ago, but still nice to have if I decide I want something new down the line.

platocplx

I've never dug into this issue enough, so a dumb question. Is there a realistic way to put this in place without breaking multiplayer/leaderboards/trophies/etc for older games that are unlikely to get patched?

Older games may have to use the reference to the oldID, it looks like they added a new reference plus probally a display name to allow for changes but I would think that the older games will have to just show the old name for sake of data integrity and not totally breaking stuff up.

Sounds like the same solution Ubisoft came up with when they ran into the same problem for the PC version of Uplay, whereby you can now change your name freely on new games, but for legacy titles you have to use the name you registered with.

Seems old games will still use the old usernames.

Wonder if they will update PS3 and Vita firmwares to handle the change for Friends List, Messages and such? Like there is still the mess with the Messages across all 3 systems as they are not in sync (delete a message on one, doesn't delete it on other systems)

mollipen

I put thought into mine years ago and I still like it now.

If true, good for those who were less...careful.

I don't know that "less careful" is fair. I made my account ten years ago, and I'm a different person than I was them. Probably the same for a lot of people.

Qwyjibo

Finally.

I can't believe how stupid I was for not including "69" at the end of my name. A lifelong regret will finally be corrected!

-VipeR

Banned
2596517820_c87975b4d0.jpg

hopefully sony will also rename all accounts that haven't been used for a couple of years to Generic_handle001 etc. so we get a lot of free nicknames available people just wasted in the early years of the PS3.

TalonJH

I'm happy it's coming and I will use even though I have a okay name so it's hard to get that excited. I understand how other have names they hate though.

For people needing to change online tag, a possible win incoming. I for one made a solid choice when I created mine.

Hope for the best.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Be great if they release old IDs. Been wanting an ID which has been inactive for the past 7 years. Dude only played like 2 games on it. >_<

AudioEppa

This is good news if it actually ends up happening anytime soon. I would actually use it, but something that would really be cool is if you could transform name+trophies you got on your new account, to the old one you want to change the name of. I realized you could just play the games over again, but for those who are too lazy to do that like myself it would be great lol.

Anyone who watches PS I Love You XOXO knows they have a segment called "Please, Shuhei, let us change our names". They have a panel at PSX. During the panel I would love for Greg to say to Shuhei, "Please, Shuhei, let us change our names!", as per usual, but this time, Shu would respond with "Alright".

Top Bottom