• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 SDK updates hint at possibly allowing PSN ID changes in the future?

Shai-Tan

Banned
That's nice. My psn account is my brothers account from when he gave me his ps3 back when he was in the US Navy. I've given up hope that I could also change region like it's possible to do on Xbox (can't use my Canadian PayPal despite having loads of USD in it because they restrict PayPal to the same region as the PSN account)

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Name change? PSN+ confirmed to be 100 € per month.. what have we done

NO NO NO! I don't want to lose my PS I LOVE YOU XOXO segment of horrible names. Those were some of the best parts of the show.

PSN names are a great lesson for life. Once you make a decision, you can't go back in time to change it, you just have to learn to live with it.

HoodWinked

i remember trying to create a new psn account only about 5 years ago and had to put a shitload of digits after two common words. so as long as sony still isnt purging inactive accounts picking a new id is going to be just as miserable so those XO arent going anywhere.

I wonder if they will do what MS did and allow 1 free name change before charging. I am done using handles. I am just using my real name.

So, me wonders how this feature would work if I have users blocked. Hopefully once this rolls out, those users account ID gets blocked and is not dependent on User ID.

whiteape

So Sony still relied on the username as their online identifier instead of some ID until now? in 2016? I can't believe that…

Fisty

It must have dawned on them with the PSN 10th anniversary sale, people that were 19 when they created their PSN ID are now almost 30.

So Sony still relied on the username as their online identifier instead of some ID until now? in 2016? I can't believe that…

Likely got way too entrenched as the primary key over the years. This is the company that stored passwords in a Word doc named Passwords.doc. Nothing surprises me here.

Sounds like the same solution Ubisoft came up with when they ran into the same problem for the PC version of Uplay, whereby you can now change your name freely on new games, but for legacy titles you have to use the name you registered with.

This is why Sony should have done this as soon as the PS4 came out. A solution where PS3 and Vita games use the old username and PS4 games use the new one would have worked as those systems start losing their user base over time. Now we get two tiers of PS4 games which is dumb and confusing.

LordofPwn

so basically instead of changing your Online ID, they'll give you an Account ID that you can edit. i've noticed some games making use of PS4 "real names" so it seems like maybe an extension of this?

Expecting Announcement at PSX

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I hope they do this, but all of my services have the same name.

I won't change one unless I can change all of them and unfortunately, Nintendo won't ever allow name changes.

Lord have mercy on FaintColt388301, the Butt Smasher.

XS5LK.gif

On topic,
so folders - check.
name change - rumor.

What is left GAF?

Anyone who watches PS I Love You XOXO knows they have a segment called "Please, Shuhei, let us change our names". They have a panel at PSX. During the panel I would love for Greg to say to Shuhei, "Please, Shuhei, let us change our names!", as per usual, but this time, Shu would respond with "Alright".

B9cdyGwCEAAeJsA.jpg

Ravage

They better be working on this.

I fear region changing might be too complex to ever happen.

Firstly, there is the issue of R1/R2/R3 versions that are incompatible with each other (save files and DLCs).

Then there's the problem of title availability. Some games in your library might not be present in your desired region store and can't be transferred over.

Please... My name is a bane. It's like the one service I couldn't get my username on (Origin too, fuggin sob on there hasn't used his account in ages) and instead of just coming up with something else I thought I'd be all cool when I was younger knowing some Greek roots and use Aztechne. It just feels wrong.

Joco

This would be huge. The ability to change usernames has been the Half Life 3 of the PlayStation ecosystem for years now.

My God! It is true then, identification was not being done on a number! This is so backwards that it baffles me how a company so big as Sony could have decided to do it.

5taquitos

I just hope they deactivate/delete all the "placeholder" accounts with 0 games played, 0 trophies earned and 0 activies shown.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/my/psn-profile-search/

I just searched for usernames I'd like to use and found several accounts with nothing on them.
The name I want hasn't earned a trophy since Modern Warfare 2.

Unfortunately that's more activity than nothing, so even if they purge I'm sure that one will stay in use.

Fedele

I fear region changing might be too complex to ever happen.

Firstly, there is the issue of R1/R2/R3 versions that are incompatible with each other (save files and DLCs).

Then there's the problem of title availability. Some games in your library might not be present in your desired region store and can't be transferred over.

It's complicated but they could make it work at some point. There are obstacles, but it is doable.

I'd also be willing to leave my titles from different regions if I ever delete them after switching. Right now people just keep both their accounts which sucks for different reasons, but losing all your trophies and "history" is what made me lose my interest on going after those those achievements long-term.

Tjamato88

A sign of this will be if Colin and Greg talk about this thread on C&G Live or PSILY.

They mentioned awhile ago that they don't talk about stuff they know is coming when they were doing Sony E3 predictions this year.

Hopefully it's true though. I would love to be able to change my name.

I am aware about you guys concern about email as primary key or else...but I think PSN was designed in a hurry and we dont even know what software are they using back in 2006 when making PSN infrastructure...

For us modern developers sure will think this is 2016 and they still using that old thing?

Unban ID as simple as UPDATE user SET banned='false' where online_id='blah'?

Just let sony make their progress.

In my opinion online ID is not an issue. THE VERY VERY BIG ISSUE is the Akamai Prolexic who bans your IP randomly for some reason and we dont know how long the IP would be banned.

Rookhelm

If they do implement this, it'll probably be the worst possible way.

Like...okay, so they add a "display name" which you can edit and which other users will see when playing online games for example.

However, to add someone as a friend, you still have to type in their original account ID making this whole endeavor about 50% pointless.

Top Bottom