• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells 322,083 units in two days in Japan

Dinjooh

Because people are lazy.

Is it that bad? I don't have a Vita so I can't say. From what I heard it works pretty good, although I don't know about things like latency etc. Whatever, just develop it for both systems and make it Cross-Buy, then, so you can play the same game at home and at work.

Look, I'm not saying that handheld MH is a bad thing. I just think that a console MH could actually use the extra power to do some amazing things with it and that that would make one awesome game if done right.

Remote Play works better than fine, the only problem i've encountered so far is if the game has a quite small UI, that translates to a .. quite problematic vita experience. It wasn't that easy to read the numbers in your toolbar in Don't Starve fx.

Mandoric

Banned
Because people are lazy.

Is it that bad? I don't have a Vita so I can't say. From what I heard it works pretty good, although I don't know about things like latency etc. Whatever, just develop it for both systems and make it Cross-Buy, then, so you can play the same game at home and at work.

Look, I'm not saying that handheld MH is a bad thing. I just think that a console MH could actually use the extra power to do some amazing things with it and that that would make one awesome game if done right.

It relies heavily on perfect timing. It's just not a game suitable for RP.

And while there are certainly places the idea could be taken, they're not really places the playerbase wants to go. We've had a long series of console and PC MH titles that, while not really pretty, certainly looked a lot better than their handheld contemporaries; none of them have been anywhere near as popular.

Not sure how much a 3rd day would add. i had a 500K/first entire week prediction and it might be quite a bit closer to that.

We don't know how many they sold first day and how many sold second day. I would assume it would be front loaded first day, but if you add another 166k for a 3rd day you are at 488k. Also it might have been answered in this thread before, but does Famitsu count online orders or just in store?

Mononoke

Banned
Time to hide from people yelling doom and domination about these sales.
tumblr_lxtti52Wm91r4s8who2_r1_500.gif

Why? Japanese launch sales are rarely over a million these days. Did anyone actually expect that?

Remote Play works better than fine, the only problem i've encountered so far is if the game has a quite small UI, that translates to a .. quite problematic vita experience. It wasn't that easy to read the numbers in your toolbar in Don't Starve fx.
Yes, but they patched in a resize option.

AU Tiger

Surprisingly good numbers given the lineup of games thus far.

Did microsoft's PR dept try and spin up a positive for this weekend to try and steal some of Sony's thunder?

It relies heavily on perfect timing. It's just not a game suitable for RP.

And while there are certainly places the idea could be taken, they're not really places the playerbase wants to go. We've had a long series of console and PC MH titles that, while not really pretty, certainly looked a lot better than their handheld contemporaries; none of them have been anywhere near as popular.

Well, I guess we'll never really know, although from what you're saying you might be right. I just think that as a game MH has been held back, but from a business and probably even gamer perspective it might just make sense. Still I would like the series to fulfill it's true gameplay potential a bit more.

Did microsoft's PR dept try and spin up a positive for this weekend to try and steal some of Sony's thunder?

The Xbone is not on sale in Japan nor will it be anytime in the foreseeable future. What is there for MS to even say?

Even with all the doom and gloom in Japan i think they'll hit ~200k every month for the rest of the gen. With literally no competition it should hit 10mil+ with ease.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's save to say that WW sales of the PS4 have passed the WW WiiU sales.

So that means... after 8 years Sony is back of being market leader in the homeconsole market. Congrats!

We don't know how many they sold first day and how many sold second day. I would assume it would be front loaded first day, but if you add another 166k for a 3rd day you are at 488k. Also it might have been answered in this thread before, but does Famitsu count online orders or just in store?

We do know how much they shipped and I doubt they did an emergency shipment in time for Sunday

The Xbone is not on sale in Japan nor will it be anytime in the foreseeable future. What is there for MS to even say?

"Playstation 4's low Japanese sales is proof that Sony is out of touch with the Japanese market. We believe that the Xbox One is the perfect device for the Japanese home. Stay tuned for more Japanese announcements as we get closer to the Japanese Xbox One launch.”

AdanVC

I just want console gaming to do well, man! No matter wich console is. But 300k is veeery good tough. Let's see how Wii U perform now that it has a new competitor in Japan.

BadWolf

"Playstation 4's low Japanese sales is proof that Sony is out of touch with the Japanese market. We believe that the Xbox One is the perfect device for the Japanese home. Stay tuned for more Japanese announcements as we get closer to the Japanese Xbox One launch.”

If it fits in a Japanese home.

Even with all the doom and gloom in Japan i think they'll hit ~200k every month for the rest of the gen. With literally no competition it should hit 10mil+ with ease.

Are you joking? I'm pretty optimistic about PS4's chances in Japan, probably overly so and that seems insane to me

I hope for 80K a month min at this point [next couple weeks should be higher than that I mean when it curtails]

RedAssedApe

Banned
I predict 400K first week. 500K first month would be good. Would be surprised if it didn't hit that with GZ coming out. Then another bump once FF14 releases.

Sojiro

Definitely a good start for Sony, its a bit lower than I expected, but still good, well done Sony. Man, still no where close to those fabled PS2 numbers (not that I expected it mind you), I guess I sometimes forget how much of a monster that bad boy was.

Look guys its pointless trying to make statements like PS4 will do great, console gaming is dead or PS4 is going to bomb, console gaming is dead from one week of sales.

The WiiU did almost 4 times the launch sales of the PS3 yet will struggle to reach half its LTD.

Whats more important is how it sells over the coming weeks and holiday season.

Only one thing can be drawn from this; the posters that were so sure PS4 launch was bomba from the launch opening videos and reports are looking mighty stupid right now.

BigDug13

They actually said this?

prwxv3

its kind of nuts that it outsold the WiiUs 2 day opening when its more expensive and did not have much japan appealing software.

panda-zebra

I think I've read just about every possible positive and negative reaction or spin one could put on the 2 day sales number over the 1000+ posts in this thread. For all of that, not one of us really has any idea at all how it will work out a year or two from now or even the next few months. I find that most fascinating of all :)

its kind of nuts that it outsold the WiiUs 2 day opening when its more expensive and did not have much japan appealing software.

Also launched in Feb. instead of holidays although that may have a greater effect on week 2 - 4 sales than first 2 day sales as the hardcore show up no matter the season

Trago

Good launch numbers, but it aint over yet. And that post launch release schedule doesn't make things seem any better.

With the talk in the launch thread you would think 100K was being hopeful lol. Hyperbole was rampant in there.

I was hoping for some epic high numbers of course but this is a solid, pretty general japanese launch. Hopefully Sony knows what they are doing and will keep the hype alive over there while they get the software lineup beefed up.

Cornbread78

With the talk in the launch thread you would think 100K was being hopeful lol. Hyperbole was rampant in there.

I was hoping for some epic high numbers of course but this is a solid, pretty general japanese launch. Hopefully Sony knows what they are doing and will keep the hype alive over there while they get the software lineup beefed up.

I just want it to do well enough with sales to get more devs on board to make jrpgs and launch them worldwide.

It's, uh... rather difficult for them to have good news right now, considering they pretty much told everyone who's paying attention (especially in the UK) "Don't buy our console until Titanfall comes out under any circumstances."

I mean, that's sort of the problem with announcing special price cuts or bundles too far in advance: the only sales you're going to pick up in the interim are from inattentive consumers.

It's, uh... rather difficult for them to have good news right now, considering they pretty much told everyone who's paying attention (especially in the UK) "Don't buy our console until Titanfall comes out under any circumstances."

I mean, that's sort of the problem with announcing special price cuts or bundles too far in advance: the only sales you're going to pick up in the interim are from inattentive consumers.

Some members here who bought their XB1's recently [last 2 weeks or so] may do well to return them if possible and pick up the bundle to get a free copy of titanfall and a free month of gold at the very least [us members], uk member save at least 30 GBP if not 60 GBP on the bundle

Your last part wasn't really necessary, but those people "making fun" of PS4 #s because of similarities to the Wii U have every right to do so. Yes, Sony did good by making Japan wait til there were some Japanese games readily available for launch, but SCEJ themselves could helped the PS4 get a bit more sales.

Where is Hot Shots Golf? Where is Ape Escape?
Not for any intelligent reasons. Many things can appear similar on the surface, but anyone thinking PS4 is going to bomb like Wii U has in Japan are, frankly, trolling.

It doesn't get any more simple than that imho.

Top Bottom