• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells 322,083 units in two days in Japan

Sean*O

...even more impressive because it's end of February, and lack of software that Japan is excited about. Pretty darn good if they shipped 350k to have gone through almost all of them in 2 days.

I'm pretty optomistic now that sales will be strong in the future in Japan once the big games start flowing from Japanese publishers.

mo60

So what would that make ps4 worldwide now? 6 million?

The last time we got actual numbers for the PS4 the PS4 was at 5.3 million.It's over 5.6 million now,but I doubt it's anywere near 6 million yet.It looks like the ps4 had an okay or good launch in japan.Let's hope it keeps on selling at the same pace or better, but I have a funny feeling that the ps4 will struggle to sell a lot in japan in the next couple of months,

B.O.O.M

Not a bad number at all , non holiday season plus no games.
The question is how it does in the second week .

Yep given the time of the launch, the current landscape of the Japanese gaming industry AND the lack of strong JP centric exclusives pretty much makes this one heck of a launch. I didn't think it will hit these numbers

I doubt the sales for the rest of the year, barring some new solid gaming announcements, would be that good tho. Then again given how well it's selling everywhere doubt Sony cares too much

It's a good launch, but I don't see the system really keeping it up. Who knows though, the PS4 seems to be selling well around the rest of the world without any real exciting games. It'll do better than the WIi U at least.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn good. I wasn't sure what to expect, but this is reassuring.

WTF? Thats without any real JP non cross-gen games. Yakuza and DW 8 are already on PS3. The hope lives yet for console games in the Japanese market!

I'm sorry to tell Sony this but they need to kill off PS3 fast in Japan if they want to make PS4 a success or avoid the Wii U pitfall.

Persona 5 is a lost cause because its Atlas but they seriously need to push JPN games on PS4 and make it PS4 only. Sadly the install base needs to get way higher before that happens. The best way to do this is to make the PS4 versions of games worth it over the PS3 versions. Sony should pray that FFXV is no later than early/mid 2015 since that is a PS4 exclusive and Xbone will not make a dent in JP. Grabbing popular games such as Sword Art Online and One Piece games will help out. Too bad Nintendo and iOS has a lock on MH and Dragon Quest or Sony wouldn't have to worry as much.

Hero

the consoles are here to stay for the next 7-8 years. it's not going to run away tomorrow.

once the final fantasy, kingdom hearts, etc. games drop, those launch numbers wouldn't matter a single ounce.

now if sony can secure dat monster hunter for ps4...

Those exact words were probably said by someone before talking about the PS3.

These are good numbers.I think most people expected the launch would be okay, the problem is after launch. 3DS, Vita and WiiU launched good but went down the shitter due to the lack of compelling software. PS4 will have the same fate but like Vita and 3DS, it will pick up when some compelling games come out. The questions is, when? Sony cant sit around and wait for FF XV to come out. *sigh*, this wouldn't be a problem if SCEJ wasn't garbage.

MilkBeard

1389838555985.png

Yeah, that's pretty close to what I was expecting. And comparing it to the list posted in OP, it actually fared decently. The most important thing will be to have continued sales, instead of dropping off like the WiiU.

pretty damn good opening. i'll bet yakuza did... gangbusters.

I see what you did there.

It's a pretty good console launch for February, but it remains to be seen how it will do week-to-week. That's where we see more of the general public interest, as opposed to the enthusiast/"hardcore" interest that launch indicates. I think after the Wii-U and XB1 launches we can pretty definitively say you need a few months of data to do anything useful with.

If the week-to-week numbers end up dropping down to Wii-U levels once the launch winds down, well, that's not good for anybody. The PS4 can survive without Japan, but I'm not so sure the Japanese console scene can survive without the PS4.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Both the WiiU and PS4 launches seem to show that console gaming isn't dead. It's just missing software. While the WiiU didn't seem to steer anyone away from mobile I think that with the western developer and consumer support for PS4 it's a far more interesting to develop games for it. We'll see once the software starts hitting if console gaming is dead in the land of the rising sun.

MidBoss

I thought I read somewhere that no riots/police this time around was bad.

2006.11.11 [Sony PlayStation 3] (¥49.980 / ¥59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)

I guess PS4 should be up to around 6 mil now right?

I was expecting something more around the 200K mark, especially given some impressions and photos posted in the MC thread, so this is surprisingly good.

Especially launching at the end of Feb, where the most compelling title is also on the PS3.

...even more impressive because it's end of February, and lack of software that Japan is excited about. Pretty darn good if they shipped 350k to have gone through almost all of them in 2 days.

I'm pretty optomistic now that sales will be strong in the future in Japan once the big games start flowing from Japanese publishers.

Hopefully, that happens in the fall. I would expect cross gen titles as I am sure Japanese publishers are on shaky footing on the whole.

Considering these numbers are up there with the best of them, and with the PS4 launching with next to no Japanese games... doesn't this bode well?

I looked up the games coming out soon myself and my reaction was "Wait, there's no new titles releasing for the thing until mid March now? What?"

Seriously, the dated line-up is pathetic.

That's Wii U level's of barren.

Other games have no attached release date.

EDF will release this year, because it's an annual franchise, but no dates yet.

Hexa

Quite possibly the most boring number possible. If it was lower or higher there could be something to be said, but that's just... k... meets expectations...

My first thought though, was god damn. Those shipment planners at Sony are spot on. Shipped 350k, sold 320k, and saved the rest of the stock for where it would sell out instantly. Well done.

NateDrake

I looked up the games coming out soon myself and my reaction was "Wait, there's no new titles releasing for the thing until mid March now? What?"

Seriously, the dated line-up is pathetic.

March 19th:
-Natural Doctrine
-Nobunaga's Ambition Online

March 20th:
-Ground Zeroes

April 14th
-FFXIV: Re-re-re-release edition

That's Wii U level's of barren.
The system launched well enough, but that is a terrible line-up.

Top Bottom