• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

hornetpie

Neo Member
I really doubt they'll last as long as consoles have though. The thing I see for tablets is improved processing power/storage/graphics. They're also obviously going to keep getting thinner. But I just think the novelty of tablets might very well wear off for most people. The amount of things you can do on a tablet is limited to the device's touch-based nature. And that will not be changing any time soon.

used a surface/surface pro?

ipad with a keyboard?

they are very good PC replacements for most people

Oh definitely.

I actually think this will be one of Sony's biggest successes, Nothing esoteric about the core tech inside meaning easy to get manufacturing costs down, a price that makes the choice between One/PS4 pretty easy, and a lot of goodwill. This launch will only add to Sony's momentum.

Yep. It's the console to be honestly. At least for me. Last Gen I was going to buy a PS3, but then Sony announced the launch, showed the launch games, and yeah... it was clear I was going to buy a 360 for me. This time, it's completely opposite. Aside from the fact that I haven't got the money to spend on another console this year (or for that matter most of next year, what with paying for a new couch, a new PC and a marriage* next year) so I'm not joining in at launch, but honestly, I'm seeing Sony just doubling down on their launch success. I can't really see them getting as arrogant as during the PS3 launch ever again, so the PS4 should make an absolute killing when it comes to exclusive content.

*terms and conditions apply, consent is granted, but not made completely official yet lol.

ipad with a keyboard?

Even without the keyboards, most people use PCs as a media box and social connection. Tablets are simply better for the general populace than a PC or Laptop could ever hope to be.

It also helps that they're thought of as hip and trendy, and have no geeky association to them.

Bishop89

You've completely missed the point. It's about the games produced. The ones that are profitable aren't making games that are universally loved by all. They're obviously loved by a large number of people because their profitable, but it's disingenuous to say that such a direction is good for gamers as a whole. That's why I have trouble with some people saying a knockout punch is something we should all be celebrating.

Microsoft's first-party offerings have been limited and/or lacklustre, a downward spiral since the launch of the Kinect. As I said earlier, I'd love to see a kick in the balls be the kind of motivation that gets them trying something new to distinguish themselves, especially as their machine is weaker than the PS4. However, given Microsoft's recent woes, I can't help but see the Xbox brand being severed if it fails to perform adequately in the first couple of years.

At least Nintendo can still support its machine, but the problem is they move at a glacial pace.

I don't begrudge Sony it's success, but I do see it as perhaps a warning sign that my time with gaming is coming to a close.

aY8wbAD.gif

Valnen

so if 5000 is faulty thats not too bad?

Yeah if we're going by the industry standard of 3-5% failure rate there should be about 30,000 faulty units in that number on the low end.

Makes me wonder how long I can use my PS4 before I can be assured mine isn't faulty. I've almost beat the Killzone: Shadow Fall campaign and haven't noticed any hardware oddities yet. Not even any lockups.

I really doubt they'll last as long as consoles have though. The thing I see for tablets is improved processing power/storage/graphics. They're also obviously going to keep getting thinner. But I just think the novelty of tablets might very well wear off for most people. The amount of things you can do on a tablet is limited to the device's touch-based nature. And that will not be changing any time soon.

Tablet's are notebook replacement for people who only consume media and read mails on them. They are not going away.

viveks86

MS deal would cover lost profits that would be had on PS4. Unless the game fails, development would covered by X % of X1 sales alone.

This. IP is worth FAR more than development cost. Like, magnitudes more. I'd imagine MS shelling out 100s of millions or even a billion dollars to do a buyout of an IP with as much hypes as titanfall. I just can't see it happening.

I've seen similar stories around the place. "Sorry no PS4's till next year. But can I interest you in an xbox one?"

I'm glad to see it doing well so early. The sooner both consoles get to that "sold enough millions that sales don't really matter" point the better off we'll all be.
Depends on the competition. If it remains close than the console war will be here to stay for two to three years.

SparkTR

Oh wow... 1 million confirmed sales on the 1st day?
This is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

Anything less than that for xbone will be considered a defeat by the general public

Launch is small potatoes compared to the big picture, but yeah I'd say Xbone isn't going to be a problem for Sony. It may be a problem for Microsoft though, looking at those CEO rumors.

skynidas

Banned
The european launch is going to be extremely good too, they are off to a good start, they just need to keep the momentum going.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This is proof that the 5 million target by March 2014 is vastly underestimated by Sony. They're just making sure shareholders aren't disappointed. I'm going with 6.5 million.

Depends on the competition. If it remains close than the console war will be here to stay for two to three years.

Oh it'll always be there...but at that point most people can pretty safely ignore it. For example the PS3 before and after about 10 million units was a very different proposition.

MogCakes

You've completely missed the point. It's about the games produced. The ones that are profitable aren't making games that are universally loved by all. They're obviously loved by a large number of people because their profitable, but it's disingenuous to say that such a direction is good for gamers as a whole. That's why I have trouble with some people saying a knockout punch is something we should all be celebrating.

[...]

I don't begrudge Sony it's success, but I do see it as perhaps a warning sign that my time with big budget gaming is coming to a close.

EDIT: Console gaming has become increasingly homogenised over the past decade. Again, it's not about new IPs but the types of new experiences. At the very least the indie market should be a light in the darkness, and it is great to see Sony making it easy for those studios.

Puppeteer and Tearaway are examples of new experiences, I'd say. You've completely ignored them whilst stating that people are ignoring you.

Angry Fork

I want one but am going to wait for more exclusive SP games. Maybe I'll get it when Infamous comes out. I don't plan on getting PS+ and getting it just for Killzone single player doesn't seem worth it right now.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

ipad with a keyboard?

The surface is great and I really prefer that kind of tablet interface over the standard. But, disappointingly, I don't exactly see people going crazy for it.
And just like you're saying, this direction of adding a useful keyboard affects PC and Laptops; but I doubt it would pose a challenge to console gaming.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
With this logic we can count a lot of preordered PS4s already sold, even if it's not paid up front:)
Well, they said they sold those 380,000 online over the same weekend and 120,000 of them shipped because of shortages. I'm assuming they were paid for rather than 0$ up front like month in advance preorders these days.

Hydrargyrus

5 millions for march 2014 seems to be underestimated numbers.

I think that they surpass the 3 millions before 2013 ends and easily they will reach 6 millions by the end of the fiscal year.

Congrats Sony!

SentryDown

This is proof that the 5 million target by March 2014 is vastly underestimated by Sony. They're just making sure shareholders aren't disappointed. I'm going with 6.5 million.

First month is always huge in the first year/semester of console, in approximatively one month and a half, WiiU sold 3 millions but didn't reach 4 by the end of march 2013 (and Nintendo's forecast was initially 5,5 millions)

They will probably reach the 5 million targets but 6 millions seems a little bit overestimated

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
They should have produced close to 8 million by then. I'd even wager 7 million sold.

It won't be able sustain the same momentum after Christmas as it will coming up to Christmas, although I'm not saying your number is impossible. It'll be down to how many sell in Japan I think.

Oh it'll always be there...but at that point most people can pretty safely ignore it. For example the PS3 before and after about 10 million units was a very different proposition.
I guess. I forgot when Gaf forgot or got tired of it. If the PS4 does a lot better then the console war would be shorter compared to the last.

Puppeteer and Tearaway are examples of new experiences, I'd say. You've completely ignored them whilst stating that people are ignoring you.

No, I haven't ignored them -- that would imply it's deliberate -- I just forgot about them. I didn't even realise Tearaway was even out.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yeah. I am terrible at Excel, as you can see.

But man, this looks like quite an unprecedented success so far.
PS4 beating all other first-month sales within just 24 hours is kind of nuts.

screenshot2013-11-17a34cad.png

Note: This is purely from Shinra-bansho's numbers (US+Canada)

Yeah. I am terrible at Excel, as you can see.

But man, this looks like quite an unprecedented success so far.
PS4 beating all other first-month sales within just 24 hours is kind of nuts.

screenshot2013-11-17a34cad.png

Note: This is purely from Shinra-bansho's numbers (US+Canada)

Damn the 360 and PS3 first month sales look so pathetic in that comparison...

PS4 is beasting.

TTOOLL

I'm struggling to see why people are saying "Shipped not sold" when it seems that the console is sold out almost everywhere.

Is this the 1st stage of denial?

Probably. Also, it must be easy for Sony to confirm it, they just need to check how many ps4 connected to PSN on day one. I assume they are able to do it.

Top Bottom