• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

Neff

Some of the Wii-U fans were looking for an excuse for the poor performance so they blamed the market.

Nobody sane ever did this. It was lack of software that screwed Wii U, pure and simple.

People love consoles. Always have, always will. But they need great games.

viveks86

Why would a game that's been out for a while be explosive?

Because there is a significant population of console gamers that don't play highly demanding PC games. Add the fact that the game is already critically acclaimed and has a massive user base, the release would market itself.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
q7xNhIE.png

lol, for those who still doubt it. don't blame em though, this is mighty impressive.

Putting IGN in line lol. He was telling that Andrew dude how to play Resogun on twitter as well.

Would you be so kind to post the NPD sources for those? :) This actually means PS4 is the biggest console launch in NA. (yes NPD doesn't cover Canada but Canada is 6x smaller than US so its not gonna make a huge difference for the other consoles.)

I don't have the NPD sources for these. These are in my spreadsheet. ;)

This was back in the days when NPD reported hardware and software numbers, and the NPD threads in gaf had crazy amounts of hardware/software numbers. So, during those times, I just compiled all the hardware numbers into a spreadsheet and still have that spreadsheet.

Kokonoe

Banned
Nobody sane ever did this. It was lack of software that screwed Wii U, pure and simple.

I blame the controller and the cost it adds to the system. I think Nintendo could have made a lot more money if they sold Wii U without the Game Pad and cut the price down. They wanted the controller to be the next Wiimote, but it's not.

hohoXD123

Sorry did someone say that console gaming is dying? No? Oh....ok.

Would be interesting to see the X1 numbers and see if it's down to interest in the PS4 or just interest in next-gen gaming in general.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I don't think it was a stupid prediction, as you imply. Though it was wrong.

Codeblew

I guess we'll get an idea of whether or not the rumoured yield issues have impacted the number of units that they've been able to build thus far.

I am guessing they will sell less than 1/2 of that on the first day for no other reason than not having enough units. If my companies allocation ratio of PS4/XB1 holds nationwide, then yah. xboned.

EDIT:

While I will admit I haven't read every post in this thread I have been keeping up with the last couple of pages and haven't seen any real claims that the console war is over

Perhaps indirectly???

Unless you mean all the comparisons to the Wii U and then well I don't think the idea the Wii U isn't going to "win" the console war is that outlandish

The console war is over!Congrat Sony!

Interesting that is the only such comment I can find in the whole of the thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/search.php?searchid=8817236

All other mentions of console war are based on your mention of other people in this thread claiming it was already over

1 person making 1 post stating such, a consensus does not make

I'm sorry but you were being a tad disengenous to suggest that

See, this is my worry when people in this thread are already calling the console war over.

There really hasn't been such claims outside of 1 post among 500+

I do think there's a general notion that Sony will outsell MS globally year one but that doesn't mean the company will win automatically

Look at this gen

Finalizer

Some of the Wii-U fans were looking for an excuse for the poor performance so they blamed the market.

They're just gonna talk about how hardware sales will tank in the coming months instead.

Dunno who you're kidding here, the Wii U has glaring issues not limited to its mediocre software library.

SparkTR

I predict Xbox will be dead in the water worldwide. If the market is contracting like so many people say it is, there may be no room for Microsoft at this stage.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Amazing stuffs. The console is incredibly sexy. And also this will send a clear signal to developers to get on the Sony train if they werent before. The launch lineup may not have been great but thats gonna be fixed pretty fast.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hope Sony sends something to Antonio Banderas, at this point. I can't refuse to think he contributed at this WHAT THE FUCK GALACTIC debut.

1 million of sells through, oh my God :lol

qq more

Wow, well deserved! Looking forward to its launch on Europe and Japan. Is this the biggest launch in a single region? I never heard of a console selling 1 million on day 1 for its launch in a single region.

Petrae

The PS4 is not comparable to the Wii u. The Wii u is a shit console with nothing going for it.

Ouch. I don't know that I agree with that assessment, even though I believe the WiiU is the odd console out.

If nothing else, Nintendo's strong and very familiar stable of first-party franchises that consumers can't buy anywhere else is a plus and may make the WiiU desirable as a secondary or tertiary platform once gaming consumers reload after PS4/XBO expenditures.

I don't think it's an awful platform. Just unknown and arguably not what consumers wanted.

Oh no, I'm calm. But I'll elaborate on the vanilla comment. Say you go to a restaurant and on the desert menu there's nothing that really tickles your fancy, but there's some vanilla ice cream. It's a safe bet, relatively inoffensive. That's how I feel about the PlayStation brand. If I own one, then there's things I can pick up on the console, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one just to play those games. In the past, I've been one of those people to own all the consoles because I was young, had no dependents, and a large disposable income. I'm older now -- damn the generation has been long -- and those things no longer hold true. I no longer get every new piece of tech or every gaming console just because. So if vanilla is the only thing on the menu that appeals, maybe I'll just skip desert.

For the record, I don't think the 360 did a particular good job of offering up an alternative flavour. Because last generation we saw so many exclusives go multiplatform, and because anything remotely adventurous often saw the studio shuttered, it's been one of those menus where I'm just like "Fuck it, I'm going to McDonald's."

When I was a teenager, Wipeout was one of the reasons to look at a PlayStation. Today, Sony closed the studio because it wasn't successful enough. Times change, people grow old. :p

Oh, and Uncharted isn't vanilla, it's chocolate. I'm a strawberry man, myself. ;)

EDIT: Just so I'm clear on why this line of thought has come up, I think that 1 million sales is great for Sony, but I don't necessarily agree that it's great for gamers. Well, at least not all gamers. Indeed, if Sony dominates this generation and forces the other competitors to throw in the towel, then for some gamers that will actually be a bad thing.

hahahah! so bitter!

Majmun

It's1mln units SOLD now? Absolutely crazy.

Sony is launching the Ps4 in 40+ countries this year. Over 1mln have been sold in NA already.

No way MS can beat them.

viveks86

There probably won't be any marketing outside of whatever banner is on the store. The game has had a mixed reaction and is F2P.

I had edited my post. There wouldn't need to be much marketing. Also an 84 on metacritic for an F2P game doesn't really indicate "mixed reactions". Anyway, both of us are speculating without much evidence. We shall see, I guess? :)

prodan

Neo Member
Some context:

At launch, PS3 sold 0.19M in 2 weeks in the US.
It took them about 50 days to ship 1 million units in NA

Wii sold 1.25M in the first 42 days in NA

Xbox 360 sold 0.9M units in the first 39 days in NA

Didn't find any numbers for the PS2 launch, but here Jack Tretton says they"
reach the one-million mark (with the Playstation 3) faster than our top-selling platform, PS2...".
EDIT: Hoho for breakfast points out that in NA, the PS2 sold "slightly more than 0.5M" in the first day.

Chumpion

Hahahahaha I'm stocking a freezer full of salted crow right now for folks who think the new generation of consoles will be the last. See you in about 6 years fools!

Majmun

Some context:

At launch, PS3 sold 0.19M in 2 weeks in the US.
It took them about 50 days to ship 1 million units in NA

Wii sold 1.25M in the first 42 days in NA

Xbox 360 sold 0.9M units in the first 39 days in NA

Didn't find any numbers for the PS2 launch, but here Jack Tretton says they"
reach the one-million mark (with the Playstation 3) faster than our top-selling platform, PS2...".

damnnnnnnnnnnn

Only time will tell if thsese crazy Ps4 sales will have some legs or not.

I think people are underestimating the €399 pricepoint.

Congrats to Sony. Well deserved and a good serving of crow to all those in the press who've been harping about Smartphones/Tablets killing the console space.

Even as a Nintendo fan first and foremost, this is excellent news, as it means the WiiUs non-existent sales are solely to blame on Nintendo and not some market contraction/erosion.

Will join the PS4 when games are out I'm actually interested. With UC4 coming, that should be somewhere around this time next year.

What was the advertising like in the States, btw? Like in terms of how salient it was. Admittedly, I don't watch the channels that Sony would advertise the PS4 on, but I haven't seen a single advertisement here in New Zealand. Not a print ad or even an ad before a YouTube video. It's almost like Sony know they're going to sell out so they don't even need to bother! :p

Timurse

Banned
About Europe shipments. As far as I know from insiders there's gonna be about a few thousands of PS4s on the first week of sales in Russia. And yes, there a LOT more confirmed (payed out) preorders. Though there's a rumor of a second shipment somewhere around the 20s of December.
PS. Selling quotas are ridiculously small when huge retailers like Media Marckt and M-Video are getting only 500 consoles each.

Top Bottom