• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

Bishop89

desperado3.jpg

tumblr_m44ktyhY0c1qih3ojo2_500.gif

ps versions of iwata bomb!

It also explains the inordinate amount of failures too. With over 1m sold through even a 1% DOA rate is 10,000 complainers! With a more realistic 3-5% DOA rate (which is true for modern electronics made at third party assembly companies and poor QC) that would be 30-50k people who have dead PS4s, a massive number of angry people venting on forums or review sections.

I dont think so. The problems seem a bit too focused to one retailer for them to simply be statistical faliures. Something screams "bad batch of consoles" to me. Likewise regardless of any other issue, the OS seems to have dealbreaking bugs on its own. This week is a cause a celebration but also headache sorting this mess out.

Blame Microsoft for intentionally ignoring the Xbox heritage of "power." Microsoft "intentionally not targeting the highest end graphics" for the Xbox One means they threw all those things the OG Xbox and Xbox 360 were about out the window to focus on something.

I don't even think it's that. Microsoft made the same mistake Sony did last gen: they mistook it for brand loyalty. That doesn't exist in this industry, or when it does, it's a very small percentage. So rather than trying to work to sell their brand, they just assumed it would happen. So whereas they were pumping out stuff like Crimson Skies in the Xbox era, they've simply been happy with throwing money at things like Titanfall. (I wanna say Dead Rising 3 as well, but I don't know the story there.)

Part of me thinks that a good kick in the balls will be good for them. However, part of of me just feels it will give investors even more reason to call for that limb to be amputated.

EDIT: Just so I'm clear on why this line of thought has come up, I think that 1 million sales is great for Sony, but I don't necessarily agree that it's great for gamers. Well, at least not all gamers. Indeed, if Sony dominates this generation and forces the other competitors to throw in the towel, then for some gamers that will actually be a bad thing.

I disagree with your assertion. Sony selling well is great for gamers because a larger install base will only attract more developers and more games (see towerfall) as they see the potential money.

Your problem with Sony "dominating" the generation is not Sony's fault and is not our fault (assuming it happens at all). It is (may be) MS's fault, Nintendo's fault for failing to provide a must-have value proposition for their console to the general population. That's on them. There is literally no reason to be upset for Sony doing well.

I think at this point, it is pretty clear Sony would do better. The question really is, by how much.

And launch gauge is pointless anyway.

Holiday 2014 would be a better time to measure of how both consoles are performing, once the first year exclusives are out, the console are healthy in stock and both companies have ample time to market their full features.

Yep. Puts things in perspective a bit. Can also explain Psn issues. 1 million+ hitting Psn servers heavily downloading games etc all at the same time is a massive strain.

Considering these sales, it's aquite possibly they underestimated potential server stress. I think these sales are beyond Sony's initial expectations.

Can't really say this yet.

PS4 really was the right option for the enthusiast console gamer though. Reasonable price, compelling featureset, takes the crown in "power". There's no guarantee it will translate into mass market acceptance... but it rarely hurts to be seen as a powerhouse of any given market.

Could start the same thing that brought Wii and PS2 to success.

Of course, but however it shows that there are more enthusiasts now than ever before to support an insane launch success. It shows that given the right product and marketing, the console market is healthy enough to support new platforms.

It also shows that incompetence, arrogance and complacency will absolutely kill a product in this market. And while Sony has done it's soul searching after the PS3 launch, and the PS4 really reflects that re-thinking, Nintendo would be wise to do the same. Can they turn the WiiU around? Probably not, but they should take the lesson Sony so impressively demonstrated and apply it to their future endeavours.

Also, as far as mass market acceptance goes, the PS4 is probably the only next gen console that is priced right for the market. Unlike WiiU and Xbone it hits the sweet spot of what people are willing to pay and feel like getting value out of it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think at this point, it is pretty clear Sony would do better. The question really is, by how much.

In NA? I think that's still up in the air since mindshare for Xbox is crazy here. I doubt it will be close anywhere else though.

Anyway, Sony must have shipped a ton of consoles. We still had 7 in the backroom at work Friday night, which were probably gone by the end of the day yesterday.

Oh no, I'm calm. But I'll elaborate on the vanilla comment. Say you go to a restaurant and on the desert menu there's nothing that really tickles your fancy, but there's some vanilla ice cream. It's a safe bet, relatively inoffensive. That's how I feel about the PlayStation brand. If I own one, then there's things I can pick up on the console, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy one just to play those games. In the past, I've been one of those people to own all the consoles because I was young, had no dependents, and a large disposable income. I'm older now -- damn the generation has been long -- and those things no longer hold true. I no longer get every new piece of tech or every gaming console just because. So if vanilla is the only thing on the menu that appeals, maybe I'll just skip desert.

For the record, I don't think the 360 did a particular good job of offering up an alternative flavour. Because last generation we saw so many exclusives go multiplatform, and because anything remotely adventurous often saw the studio shuttered, it's been one of those menus where I'm just like "Fuck it, I'm going to McDonald's."

When I was a teenager, Wipeout was one of the reasons to look at a PlayStation. Today, Sony closed the studio because it wasn't successful enough. Times change, people grow old. :p

Oh, and Uncharted isn't vanilla, it's chocolate. I'm a strawberry man, myself. ;)

EDIT: Just so I'm clear on why this line of thought has come up, I think that 1 million sales is great for Sony, but I don't necessarily agree that it's great for gamers. Well, at least not all gamers. Indeed, if Sony dominates this generation and forces the other competitors to throw in the towel, then for some gamers that will actually be a bad thing.

And yet they have been bringing more new IP's throughout this gen than MS and Nintendo.

max-pain

If you want, count PS2 launch in Japan which sold in 980 000 units in 24 hours.

It's not true.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040620191456/http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html

Cumulative Production Shipments of Hardware / PlayStation®2
2000/03/06 720,000 units (Japan only)
2000/03/15 1 million units (Japan only)
2000/03/31 1.41 million units (Japan only)
2000/05/24 2 million units (Japan only)
2000/06/30 2.54 million units (Japan only)
2000/08/01 3 million units (Japan only)
2000/09/30 3.52 million units (Japan only)

There is literally no reason to be upset for Sony doing well.

I think you missed the point. When Sony is culling off studios like Studio Liverpool, it sends a clear message of where they see the future of gaming. Whether it's a bad thing or not totally depends on whether you like that vision of the future.

My canary in the hole for this is whether they turn Shadow of the Beast into a God of War clone or produce something more like Shadow of the Colossus.

And yet they have been bringing more new IP's throughout this gen than MS and Nintendo.

And? It's not about the name on the box, it's about the type of game it is.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
And console gaming was supposed to be dead.
I really hope consoles continue to sell well so that we can stop hearing about how smartphones and tablets are going to replace consoles, when the truth is that tablets will likely not even last another generation.

edit:
oh shit, brainfart at the end of that statement. I'll leave it on though. I like it.

Vizzeh

Banned
Its a scary thought to consider how many Sony "WOULD" sell worldwide if more stock was available, literally everything has likely gone.

Amazon etc still sold out, Stock altho high for a launch, is completely saturated.

viveks86

In NA? I think that's still up in the air since mindshare for Xbox is crazy here. I doubt it will be close anywhere else though.

Anyway, Sony must have shipped a ton of consoles. We still had 7 in the backroom at work Friday night, which were probably gone by the end of the day yesterday.

Exactly why I think it will do better (during the launch window, at least). I don't think MS would be able to match their shipments, let alone sales. Every report I've heard about stocks at stores indicates this.

And launch gauge is pointless anyway.

Holiday 2014 would be a better time to measure of how both consoles are performing, once the first year exclusives are out, the console are healthy in stock and both companies have ample time to market their full features.

Agreed

Isn't ltd for WiiU something like 1.35 million in US? So PS4 could pass that during its launch month considering they just sold a million in one day. Wow.

Highly likely. Wonder how EA feels about signing TitanFall to XBone? Thats A LOT of consumers who they might of sold out.

That's great, Hopefully the Xbox One is does great also. I want that one but I won't be able until next year, so I want the next generation to be healthy when I do so.

That's an impressive holiday sales number....this is just day one numbers! Omg!

We'll see how many Sony can make, but whatever that number is, its going to sell. DAT Guiness record

Coldsun

Banned
And console gaming was supposed to be dead.
I really hope consoles continue to sell well so that we can stop hearing about how smartphones and tablets are going to replace consoles, when the truth is that tablets will likely not even last another generation.

Your post started out strong.. but it ended in a less than intelligent conclusion.
Tablets, like consoles, are going to be here for quite a while

Putty

Terrific figures! Still, us in Europe must look on from afar while you lot are enjoying the experience! Well, the vast majority anyway! I've like to think by Jan the machine could be pushing 3.5...3.75m? And still with other markets to launch, most notably Japan of course!

Can someone create a list of day-one sales of as many consoles as possible?
I'd like to see how it stacks up. We need graphs, people. Graphs!
I don't think we have day one numbers for most of them, and not for US + Canada anyway.

I have launch months for everything since the PS2 (but not the PS2), to closest 5K.

GBA (Jun '01) - 880K
Xbox (Nov '01) - 720K
GCN (Nov '01) - 660K
NDS (Nov '04) - 480K
PSP (Mar '05) - 620K
360 (Nov '05) - 325K
PS3 (Nov '06) - 195K
Wii (Nov '06) - 475K
3DS (Mar '11) - 400K
PSV (Feb '12) - 225K
Wii U (Nov'12) - 425K

Top Bottom