• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 shut down automatically from rest mode; now having trouble turning it on

Maengun1

First, not sure if there's a rule about console issue threads or anything -- I've never started a thread before. Apologies/lock if necessary!

Long version of title: I typically power my PS4 on each morning the first time I use it. Throughout the day, when I'm not using it I put it in rest mode, then at night I turn it off completely.

Yesterday, after going to wake the PS4 from rest mode I was surprised to see it was powered off entirely. Turned it on, it gave me a lecture about making sure I power the system off correctly. I'm sure I had, and the other devices plugged into the surge protector were fine. I don't think much of it and forget.

Today it happened again, only this time I couldn't get the system to turn on at all. When I press the power button it beeps, the blue light comes on for about a half second and then the console shuts off again.

After trying some things like unplugging the system for a while, changing the outlet I was using etc., I finally got it to start in safe mode by holding the power button for 10 seconds. I had no idea what to do in safe mode though, so I tried updating the system software over the internet. It did that, turned itself off....and now I can't get it on again. Same thing with the beep, brief blue light, and off. Argh.

I'm clueless here, and very NOT tech savvy. Anything starting with "open up the console" and I haven't the slighest clue.

Is this a common thing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Emitan

My system often refuses to turn on unless I unplug it completely before powering back on but that doesn't seem like the same issue you're having. I haven't had to use safe mode or anything.

test_account

XP-39C²
Have you tried rebuilding the database or done a factory reset?

EDIT: Oh, i see that you cant turn it on. Then i dont know :/ Only thing i can think of is to pull the AC cord out for some minutes again if you havnt tried that.

kadotsu

Banned
Worst case is that the consoles PSU is on the way out. If you are still under warranty send it in ASAP.

Maengun1

Have you tried rebuilding the database or done a factory reset?

Darn, no, and that was an option in safe mode. I guess I will try to get back there and do that.

Thanks for the replies so far

edit: not sure if I'm still under warranty, bought the console in november 2014

If you cant get it to turn on I'd go back to safe mode and reset everything to default settings. Then go back to safe mode again and rebuild the database. Then hopefully it'll start like normal?

You may even be able to just go into safe mode > rebuild database and skip the default settings but I'm not sure.

If all else fails, this sounds like how PS3's death. Usually issue with an overheaded console. Your processor may require fresh thermal paste.

Try safe mode first, as others suggested.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
is it an OG or Slim? my OG ps4 started doing this out of nowhere after about 4 months but then just as sudden as it started it stopped and was working just fine right up until a couple months ago when i sold it. might be hardware but it might also be software (which it was in my case). i think in this case it's likely hardware...the system is far more stable today than it was back in early 2014. if it keeps happening then contact sony if it's still under warranty. if not then maybe it's time for a new PS4.

Maengun1

^it's the old model...26 months old...no issues prior to today

trying to get back to safe mode right now

EDIT: Okay I'm back to safe mode! So the options are

1. Restart PS4
2. Change Resolution
3. Update System Software
4. Restore Default Settings
5. Rebuild Database
6. Initialize PS4
7. Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)

So I should restore default settings right? I heard that first, then try rebuilding database? (see I wasn't kidding about being clueless)

The Powers Supply Unit is dying, i had it with mine, it started turning itself off in rest mode or rather the power would cut out during the night and would tell me off about not shutting down correctly
Eventually it just didn't turn on and it had to go back to Sony

^ Hopefully its not that
^it's the old model...26 months old...no issues prior to today

trying to get back to safe mode right now

EDIT: Okay I'm back to safe mode! So the options are

1. Restart PS4
2. Change Resolution
3. Update System Software
4. Restore Default Settings
5. Rebuild Database
6. Initialize PS4
7. Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software)

So I should restore default settings right? I heard that first, then try rebuilding database? (see I wasn't kidding about being clueless)

Yeah that should work if you dont mind the settings being set back to default. If you do you can try just rebuilding the database and see if it'll start like normal. If not then do the restore default settings then rebuild database and youll probably be good to go.

Maengun1

Restored the console to factory settings from safe mode-- and it appears to be working as normal again! I just powered it on and off three times with no issue. HUGE thank you to everyone who replied :). For the time being, I think I'm done with rest mode-- will just power on and off as needed for the next few days and see if that nips the rest mode issue in the bud.

Thanks again!

Top Bottom