• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Review

Ushay

Now 4k is important for cheap people who have waited three years? Ya, I bet people buying Honda Civics are also looking for hand crafted leather interior too.

The race to $199 is the most important thing for any console maker. Adding features for the top 1% is not.

While I agree that price is king, people also buy for features and hardware. Pretty one sided opinion to have really, I'm pretty sure it's a lot more than 1% .. as Neo/Scorp sales will hopefully reflect in due time. One of the reasons I'm a little disappointed Sony didn't opt for a UHD drive is for the sake of adoption, much like when broadband was becoming mainstream. These devices usually spearhead pickup and adoption of newer contact like 4k.

Now 4k is important for cheap people who have waited three years? Ya, I bet people buying Honda Civics are also looking for hand crafted leather interior too.

The race to $199 is the most important thing for any console maker. Adding features for the top 1% is not.

I think it's more a case that if you have the option then you might be more inclined to use it at some point. I had a SDTV when I bought my PS3 but I eventually got an HDTV to take advantage of HD gaming and Bluray. I didn't have to buy a separate player. If I did have to, I would have been less likely to buy Bluray movies. I feel that Sony who is in the business of selling 4k TVs and movies would want to offer a product that would get people to part with their 1080p sets sooner rather than later.

Wrong... They will buy the console which runs games better and the console their friends have. Streaming options popularity is increasing, your overestimating the influence of 4k Blu-ray for a game console.

I already said the network effect would help hold up the PS4 Slim sales if it was priced the same. I am making the point that without pricing the PS4 Slim lower than the XB1 S, the PS4 Slim will have a less advantage than the PS4 had over the XB1. In other words Sony would have made themselves less competitive with the move, and will sell fewer consoles than they would have if they had included UHD support.

I think you are forgetting that some of the average consumers have friends .
Which told them which PS4 play games better they just waiting for a price drop .

No I'm not. See above.

In addition, if a person is only buying their first 8th generation console right now, then they are likely to value the PS4's minor advantage in a subset of games about as much a UHD support. Once again the NeoGaf bubble hits and you are having difficulty putting yourself in the mindset of the average customer.

This is not a person who is scouring the message boards to research which console to buy. It is not a person who even has a strong urge to buy a new console or else they would have already done it. It's going to be someone who has thought about buying a console and one day when going through the electronics section of a store will finally actually do it. They'll see all the 4K/UHD TVs on display. Then they'll see the XB1 S with a UHD drive and a PS4 Slim without it. Even if they don't have a 4K TV, they know they want one, and will pick the console that they think gives them the best content on that TV. It will be an aspirational decision.

This is of course an "all things being equal" decision. Like I said, the PS4 has other things going for it, but the point remains that the PS4 Slim in would be at a disadvantage in this situation.

X1 sales didn't actually go up though in July they were down yoy despite being $100 cheaper than the ps4. Sales will be up in August though. Time will tell if the X1s is actually expanding the user base or just being bought as replacements.

Also just because something is advertised doesn't mean it will be popular. 3D was suppose to be big too. Hell tons of people have 3D TVs but it isn't because they care about it. It's because it's already apart of the TV you buy. UHD Blu rays will be a tiny fraction of all disk sales. Honestly I've never even seen one for sale but you believe it's a game changer.

It still did better than its competition. Many things can change YoY that don't make it an apples-to-apples comparison. Also I have to point out once again, that I made my comments in response to someone saying that the Xbox One S was a poor decision by Microsoft. Even if you want to say that there is no conclusive evidence that shows the S was a great decision (even though that is likely), there is absolutely no evidence that it was a poor decision.

3D TV is different. It was not an absolute advantage over non-3D TVs. You had to buy and wear the glasses for it to work. For most people that inconvenience wasn't worth any marginal benefit the 3D brought. 4K is different. It is exactly the same viewing environment except that the screen is better. If price isn't an issue, given the choice between 4K and normal HDTV the average consumer will choose 4K every time. As the following EmiPrime example shows, people think the 4K has a clearer picture even if it doesn't.

My friend got a 4K television and was showing off to me saying "look at how clear it is!". I didn't have the heart to tell her she was showing me a 1080i broadcast.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think it's more a case that if you have the option then you might be more inclined to use it at some point. I had a SDTV when I bought my PS3 but I eventually got an HDTV to take advantage of HD gaming and Bluray. I didn't have to buy a separate player. If I did have to, I would have been less likely to buy Bluray movies. I feel that Sony who is in the business of selling 4k TVs and movies would want to offer a product that would get people to part with their 1080p sets sooner rather than later.

that's neo.

BreakAtmo

I'm a little surprised about the lack of 4K support, but I suppose Sony think most people who care about that will also care about power and therefore just buy the Neo. That being said, the omission of 4K and the lack of an up-clock says to me that this should be priced at $249. It needs to undercut the Xbone S and be a budget option in every sense of the word.

Don't most 4K TV's have at least decent scalers so your 1080p PS4 won't look like blurry pixel soup?

Yes, especially since 2160p is exactly 4x 1080p, but the issue is more that this PS4 Slim won't offer HDR gaming like the Xbone S (HDR requires a 4K signal direct from the console or player).

Lack of 4K and HDR is disappointing even if they are using it as a selling point for the Neo. I think that would of probably converted more people over to the Slim. Unless they really get a reasonable price, the XBox S could look slightly more tempting to the average consumer looking jump into 4K due to these features. No optical imo is a little silly been if it is considered outdated. Probably not the best analogy obviously, but don't current consoles still support 720p even though those resolutions are considered antiquated and obsolete? Anyway, glad I just bought a new AV receiver.

demigod

PS4 should not be costing $349. They are just doing that because the xbox one is not a threat and they're enjoying the profit. I don't see why the slim can't be priced at $249.

Do we know if Neo is gonna run current PS4 games better, or only games designed for it in the future that would benefit from Neo hardware? I want to play Bloodborne in its best incarnation if possible, but if Neo won't make the game run better than I'd rather just get the cheaper slim.

a 200$ PS4S destroys a 300$ XB1S

Your friend Timmy has a 500$ PS4K..
your mom buys you a PS4S.
you play with Timmy.
You really think they're gonna start it at 200$? A 3DS XL is 200$, that would be a crazy price.

BreakAtmo

Do we know if Neo is gonna run current PS4 games better, or only games designed for it in the future that would benefit from Neo hardware? I want to play Bloodborne in its best incarnation if possible, but if Neo would make the game run better than I'd rather wait just get the cheaper slim.

We don't, no. It really should be able to based on what the Xbone S up-clock can do, but that doesn't mean it actually will.

truth411

Do we know if Neo is gonna run current PS4 games better, or only games designed for it in the future that would benefit from Neo hardware? I want to play Bloodborne in its best incarnation if possible, but if Neo would make the game run better than I'd rather wait just get the cheaper slim.

You really think they're gonna start it at 200$? A 3DS XL is 200$, that would be a crazy price.
Games with an unlocked framrate cap will probably run @60fps. Like Infamous Second Son and Killzone Shadow Fall.

The USB ports being spread out so far looks weird as hell.

It's kind of funny that replaceable faceplates were a thing again for a hot minute before going out the window as usual.

No I'm not. See above.

In addition, if a person is only buying their first 8th generation console right now, then they are likely to value the PS4's minor advantage in a subset of games about as much a UHD support. Once again the NeoGaf bubble hits and you are having difficulty putting yourself in the mindset of the average customer.

This is not a person who is scouring the message boards to research which console to buy. It is not a person who even has a strong urge to buy a new console or else they would have already done it. It's going to be someone who has thought about buying a console and one day when going through the electronics section of a store will finally actually do it. They'll see all the 4K/UHD TVs on display. Then they'll see the XB1 S with a UHD drive and a PS4 Slim without it. Even if they don't have a 4K TV, they know they want one, and will pick the console that they think gives them the best content on that TV. It will be an aspirational decision.

This is of course an "all things being equal" decision. Like I said, the PS4 has other things going for it, but the point remains that the PS4 Slim in would be at a disadvantage in this situation.

If they are now buying the system it means they value price .( they other factors here but this is the biggest one most of the time)
You have a person that going for the cheapest system or want a certain system but only at a certain price .
You seem to be the one having trouble putting your mindset for the average person .
Also the average customer would say there TV can do 4k with Netflix .

If your receiver has HDMI In/Out then plug PS4 -> Receiver first, and then Receiver -> TV. You get sound and picture.

If your receiver doesn't have HDMI out, then you'll have to go directly from PS4 -> TV and then run optical from TV -> Receiver, but this method will likely degrade the quality of your sound from 5.1 to Stereo. Otherwise it's time to upgrade that receiver.

My Sony TV doesn't have optical audio and my speaker system is one of those 'all in a box' that come together with a small receiver that looks like a small DVD player. The sound system only has one HDMI, if I recall, or at least no HDMI out. I know this because it took me a long time to find an optical audio cable (I line on Mars). I used to plug the PS4 directly to the TV and use the awful TV speakers...

Is my only option to buy one of those huge audio receivers with a million plugs in the back?

Sjefen

MS needed to add value in form off a 4k bluray and HDR to their console because its still the weakest of the two, while Sony is going for the cheapest version possible taking shit out. 3 years in and its time to cater to the casual market and price is the nr 1 factor. Sure adding a 4k blu ray player would have added value but that would also add to cost and price.

Bioshocker

I honestly couldn't say it any better. I mean I really think its looks very ugly.

look at this ... it does look 10x times better.
480xNx366196.jpg.pagespeed.ic.CZmIJ4Ekwc.jpg

all I want to know is the head and noise if they any different.

I think the PS4 was never that pretty to begin with (I like the design of the fat PS3), but the slim model just looks meh. No character, just like an oversized Apple TV.

Fbh

Do we know if Neo is gonna run current PS4 games better, or only games designed for it in the future that would benefit from Neo hardware? I want to play Bloodborne in its best incarnation if possible, but if Neo won't make the game run better than I'd rather just get the cheaper slim.

Officially I'm not sure.
But almost every leak and rumor has said that the Neo is capable of running older games better but games would need to be updated to support the extra horsepower.

So something like Bloodborne could run better but only if it gets an update.

Apparently Sony is not going to force devs to update their old games, but they are free to do so if they want

Bloodborne is exclusive though so at least it has a higher change of getting updated as Sony will want to show off the extra power as much as possible

Officially I'm not sure.
But almost every leak and rumor has said that the Neo is capable of running older games better but games would need to be updated to support the extra horsepower.

So something like Bloodborne could run better but only if it gets an update.

Apparently Sony is not going to force devs to update their old games, but they are free to do so if they want

Bloodborne is exclusive though so at least it has a higher change of getting updated as Sony will want to show off the extra power as much as possible

It also gives old games a new lease of life on shop shelves if they can be re-released with box art stating 'this game has Neo features"

EmiPrime

She is proving my point. She cared about 4k so much that she saw a benefit where none existed. The fact that she wants to trade DVDs with her friends does not preclude her thinking that UHD is better. I record TV shows in lower quality because I value the space saved over the quality, but I still know the higher quality is better.

The point I have been making is that if the PS4 Slim and XB1 S are priced the same then the average consumer will think the XB1 S is better due to it supporting UHD. Then the argument shifts to why not get the one you think is better?

That's the same thought process that explains why the PS4 originally had an advantage over the XB1. Even if the extra power only showed up in a few games, why wouldn't you get the console with that extra power. The difference now is that the people buying the consoles are not going to Digital Foundary. They are watching commercials on TV which tell them that UHD is better. Xbox One S has UHD. The PS4 Slim does not.

Btw on top of that, people like your friend will probably think that the XB1 S will play that DVD with better quality because it is a UHD player just like she thought the 1080i broadcast looked better on a 4K display.

It's not proving your point. The average consumer uses their TV's awful speakers and thinks that whatever they plug into their HDTV magically becomes a native HD source and it's the same with 4K.

Non-gamers don't want a games console for a media player either, there's too much stigma attached. The notion that millions of people who have no interest in games are going to buy an Xbox One S because it plays UHDs is completely delusional.

Gamers outside of the US and UK don't want an Xbox One. A UHD drive on the S changes nothing, the PS4 will still be the more desired console: the PS4 has been more expensive than the Xbox One for over a year and it has still been the top seller. Gamers who really care about UHD Blurays will buy the Neo.

You are going to be very disappointed if expect anything other than status quo for the next 12 months. Having the cheaper UHD Bluray player is not the game changer you think it is. Sony are afraid of Scorpio, not the Xbox One S.

My Sony TV doesn't have optical audio and my speaker system is one of those 'all in a box' that come together with a small receiver that looks like a small DVD player. The sound system only has one HDMI, if I recall, or at least no HDMI out. I know this because it took me a long time to find an optical audio cable (I line on Mars). I used to plug the PS4 directly to the TV and use the awful TV speakers...

Is my only option to buy one of those huge audio receivers with a million plugs in the back?

If your tv and receiver is HDMI 1.4 or higher, you should no longer need to have an optic cable from your tv to receiver. Have you tried HDMI audio return channel (ARC)?

Sakujou

Banned
it was supposed to be announced on the playstation meeting.

i really would love to see a comparison shot as well as how much lesser watt it needs or how loud it actually is.

sad that sony has literally improved nothing over the older model.

take the xbone s as an example. splendid job@ms.

its also interesting that while ms systems do look ugly at the beginning, the get more and more features and look better and better.

the ps consoles do get uglier and uglier with lesser and lesser features.

Inuhanyou

i really would love to see a comparison shot as well as how much lesser watt it needs or how loud it actually is.

Sony did what they always do, i don't understand what your point is. We can assume its much quieter and more power effecient, we already know the wireless wi fi is superior in slim to OG PS4, the actual dimensions are significantly smaller than before.

I'd call it a success.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This thread has people asking if their sound is setup correctly so let me ask too lol....

I have an LG 4K tv, model 49UH6100 and a Samsung soundbar, model HW-JM25.

I have my tv hooked to my PS4 via HDMI and an optical cable from my PS4 to my soundbar(soundbar has no hdmi port). What PS4 sound/audio settings should i have set for optimal audio performance?

Inuhanyou

Size is only half the story though. It also runs virtually silently as a result. Its a big console, but there are advantages.

The power brick is loud though. My friend has one set up on his entertainment unit and you hear that more than the console. Having a big console along with a big ass brick is annoying.

Coxy100

Banned
If price isn't an issue, given the choice between 4K and normal HDTV the average consumer will choose 4K every time. As the following EmiPrime example shows, people think the 4K has a clearer picture even if it doesn't.
Yep but price IS an issue for the average consumer. I for example am buying a new TV and a ps4 slim at Christmas.

I love my tech - but 4K is far too expensive to jump into yet for me.

its also interesting that while ms systems do look ugly at the beginning, the get more and more features and look better and better.

the ps consoles do get uglier and uglier with lesser and lesser features.

They added 5ghz wifi on this one. How is that nothing improved?

Bastardo

I'm calling it:
PS4 Slim and PS4 Neo will have the same form factor (but not the same design).
With both on 14nm and close to the same clockspeed, Neo will put out less heat than the orig PS4 and insignificantly more than the slim, because basically only the gpu part is doubled.

Remember my post on the 7th, when you can tell me how wrong I was.

I dont like the omission of the optical port, my surround sound headsets use them :/

I hope they dont do this to the Neo...
Does your tv not have optical out? Omission of optical out is the future of devices since HDMI 1.4's ARC made the last home theater usage of optical obsolete.

I'm calling it:
PS4 Slim and PS4 Neo will have the same form factor (but not the same design).
With both on 14nm and close to the same clockspeed, Neo will put out less heat than the orig PS4 and insignificantly more than the slim, because basically only the gpu part is doubled.

Remember my post on the 7th, when you can tell me how wrong I was.
I wish, but I don't think so.

I already have a big (well, uATX) PC, I'd love to have a powerful yet slim console to take with me when I travel.

This thread has people asking if their sound is setup correctly so let me ask too lol....

I have an LG 4K tv, model 49UH6100 and a Samsung soundbar, model HW-JM25.

I have my tv hooked to my PS4 via HDMI and an optical cable from my PS4 to my soundbar(soundbar has no hdmi port). What PS4 sound/audio settings should i have set for optimal audio performance?
Does your TV have optical out? If so, connect your soundbar to that.

Top Bottom