• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Review

Nbz

From Laura K of Let's Play Video Games/Podquisition and many other podcast things

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/review-playstation-4-slim/

Overall, I really have no complaints about the PS4 Slim, besides the removal of the optical port which I have not ever personally used. It’s smaller, thinner, quieter, cooler, features a nicer controller with additional features, and I personally love the new matte curved design. It’s not an Xbox One S-style upgrade with additional 4K functionality for those using ultra-HD screens, but I won’t be upset seeing this replace the current model.
Just be warned, if you want an optical port on your PS4 make sure to buy the current model before it vanishes.

She also unboxed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9V6VeZdMCQ

gbland

It's kind of sad that we're putting out a review thread for something that hasn't been officially announced yet.

Xater

It's kind of sad that we're putting out a review thread for something that hasn't been officially announced yet.

It's ridiculous that Sony is still sitting on the news of this thing. Just come out and announce it and save yourself some time on the 7th.

Pretty neat, but Sony and probably going to go crazy, quite a lot of videos have been taken down about the PS4 Slim.

This is a pretty serious leak so I guess Sony are going to announce retail availability during the PlayStation meeting, there seems to be quite a lot of these machines in the hands of people already.

mocoworm

It's not a PS4 slim acc to the box. It's just the PS4, which means that this will not be an SKU alongside the PS4. It is the new PS4 going forward.

gbland

Gah that new light bar is going to be annoying. Did anyone even like the first light bar? I have that one covered.

It's ridiculous that Sony is still sitting on the news of this thing. Just come out and announce it and save yourself some time on the 7th.
The only thing I can think of is that it's going to have a really attractive price so they want to have a nice moment at the event. If it doesn't then they're just being stubborn/obtuse.

Joey Ravn

Banned
What if the PS4 Slim is never announced? Sony just releases and makes no fuzz about it. How weird, yet intriguing, would that move be.

teiresias

I actually like the way it looks, though I remain skeptical on the "quieter" moniker long term. The "extra" light on the DS4 is stupid though.

I'm all about the Neo though to go with my PSVR and praying for a Bloodborne 60fps patch (or at least a damn framepacing patch).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I dont know if its because of the sony ninjas or just my connection, the page isn't opening.

can someone please copy the entire text and paste it ?

No optical port is kind of a big deal no?

Not really. People with older receivers can get bitstream DD and DTS by connecting the TV to the receiver (most HDTVs have optical out). If they don't, you can get an HDMI to optical audio extractor for cheap.

Optical is an aging format, it's time to let it go.

Why no 4k and HDR? Cmon.

Because they're trying to keep it cheap, that's why. The Neo will have 4K and HDR

ahhh gotcha. Still gonna cover it lol. Love your avatar pic btw. One of my favorite games :)

<3

Ricky_R

No optical kinda sucks. The sound system I have only works with optical iirc.

Edit: Thought this was the Neo. Still sucks, but I imagine they won't pull this with the Neo.

Ryukori

Sony removed the optical port? That really sucks. I haven't played a game released after 2006 without surround sound. I hope Sony doesn't make the same move on PS4 Neo.

Dystify

Images of the PS4 Slim:

UhgElAa.jpg

WoL1faj.jpg

Edit: I deleted the text since the site is back up.

mocoworm

Not really. People with older receivers can get bitstream DD and DTS by connecting the TV to the receiver (most HDTVs have optical out). If they don't, you can get an HDMI to optical audio extractor for cheap.

Optical is an aging format, it's time to let it go.

Because they're trying to keep it cheap, that's why. The Neo will have 4K and HDR

My Turtle Beach PX4's are fed by optical direct to their receiver. They don't accept HDMI in.

phanphare

Banned
quieter, cooler, and with a nicer controller

it's what the PS4 should have been from day 1, it seems

cautiously hyped depending on the price

Top Bottom