• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Review

quieter, cooler, and with a nicer controller

it's what the PS4 should have been from day 1, it seems

cautiously hyped depending on the price
It should have been quieter and cooler than a non-existing product? The OG PS4 had to exist for them to iterate on it over time/price of components to decrease to get to this point.

Lol, "what the PS4 should've been" OK there.

I bet when next Slim version is "what PS4 Slim should've been" :p

Nice update, doesn't seem that much smaller but she didn't do direct comparison so hard to see visually.

I don't really like the look, but it looks alright, I hope the NEO looks nicer
Wired controller?

micro-USB charging wire

I think they might price this at £200-250, it's probably a lot cheaper to make, what does everyone else think?

That would leave room for pricing the Neo at £250-350 or even £400.

Flipyap

I actually like the way it looks, though I remain skeptical on the "quieter" moniker long term.
Yeah, this really isn't something you can judge after a few days of use. A brand new original PS4's noise levels were not comparable to what it becomes a few months later.

Dynomutt

This quote got me:

It is in the public interest to know about a piece of upcoming technology that can be verified to exist, even if that confirmation did not come from the manufacturer itself.
I do not own the unit reviewed here, nor is it any longer in my possession.
Basically, please do not sue me Sony. I am just doing my job as a journalist. Issuing takedown notices when many other outlets have reported on the existence of the new model does nothing to hide its existence and only serves to harm the state of journalism within our industry.

So this still about video game and not human rights? It's just a damn console?

I do know that someone at Sony or their distributors is looking for a Job right now!

Nice unit by the way. Now for 9/7.

I do know that someone at Sony or their distributors is looking for a Job right now!

It's more than likely gonna be an "Available Now!" type of things. Doing so it's really hard to control all of the retailers and distributors. This was bound to happen

I like the updates to the PS4 controller.
Now that I've seen the console itself I can completely say I'm not feeling the design or finish at all.

A truly cheap looking and unremarkable piece of kit (which serves it's function of being budget model).

gbland

quieter, cooler, and with a nicer controller

it's what the PS4 should have been from day 1, it seems

cautiously hyped depending on the price

That's what we say about every model of a console. Slim versions of the original is a natural evolution. With time, there can always be improvements and this is the result.

What is perhaps more interesting about the new controller model is that, when connected to a PS4 Slim or a regular model PS4, it transfers data entirely over wired connection rather than wireless. While this may seem minor, this allows a more frame-precise reaction time than wireless play, which will be incredibly useful for games like Street Fighter V. It’s a minor difference, but it’s a slightly tighter response which may make a difference to some players.

This seems like a pretty big deal for the FGC

Am I wrong in thinking this'll be one of those "available now!" things?

That's exactly what it's gonna be. Too many of these in the wild for it not to be.

Poster#1

To bring down the price, enhance cooling, etc. Same reason Sony did the PS3 slim and the PS2 slim. It's not about adding features, it's about saving money, both for them and the consumer

I thought they would add something because PS4 is already small. Still makes sense if those were the reasons to make it.

SenkiDala

It's that, that is called "professional journalism"? Seriously? Any random youtuber would do a way better job. What a waste of time... "My job of journalist"... Pffrrr...

JP

Why does she keep repeating that Sony keep saying it isn't real? Have they actually said anything about it yet? Quite rightly, companies usually just don't comment on stuff like this so it would be a pretty stupid thing for them to do less than two weeks away from them telling the world that it is real.

phanphare

Banned
It should have been quieter and cooler than a non-existing product? The OG PS4 had to exist for them to iterate on it over time/price of components to decrease to get to this point.

I mean, you don't need to compare it to a non-existing product

it could have just been quieter and cooler on its own

either way the good thing is that the slim does exist now

Kilau

I don't really understand why they spread the USB ports apart like that and I don't really care for how that part of it looks.

Overall the design has grown on me, but i'll wait for neo.

gbland

It's bizarre and amusing that it took MS three years to reduce the size of the Xbone down to PS4 levels, and just as they do that Sony substantially reduces the size of the PS4 again.

Mind you the xbox one S has HDR capabilities and 4K media streaming with an overclocked GPU. It also doesn't have a power supply anymore. The jump from xbox one to xbox one S seems much greater than from ps4 to ps4 slim for now.

Mind you the xbox one S has HDR capabilities and 4K media streaming with an overclocked GPU. It also doesn't have a power supply anymore. The jump from xbox one to xbox one S seems much greater than from ps4 to ps4 slim for now.

That's because the hardware wizards at Sony made the OG PS4 so small already. Seriously, I remember when it finally got shown, I was floored by how small the thing was.

vg260

What is perhaps more interesting about the new controller model is that, when connected to a PS4 Slim or a regular model PS4, it transfers data entirely over wired connection rather than wireless. While this may seem minor, this allows a more frame-precise reaction time than wireless play, which will be incredibly useful for games like Street Fighter V. It’s a minor difference, but it’s a slightly tighter response which may make a difference to some players.

I thought this was already the case.

Top Bottom