• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim Review

mejin

Why are people suddenly expecting a slim revision to do more than the original console? Why is that a thing now?

Is it a PS4 but smaller? Yes.

That's the entire idea behind it.

Because MS did a little extra for XBO S. It's still inferior to PS4 OG, but you know, reasons.

ZERO1990

Neo Member
unnamed.jpg

ctfg23

Does this slim have a USB on the back as well ?

I was looking at a video where it LOOKED like a USB port but the person reviewing didn't go over the port(s).

Or is it just the 2 USB's upfront ?
Just the 2 USB ports in the front. The port on the back is for the PS4 Camera.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So based on what we know now...

The noise is quieter than OG PS4

The fan is smaller

The unit gets hotter but has a much higher quality heatsink than OG, so the actual heat is dissipated much more efficiently and is actually much less likely to overheat than the OG PS4 despite the higher thermals.

PlayriseDigital

Neo Member
Has anyone got the low down on these features yet? If we'd bought one on Ebay we'd have that SATA port tested by now. Top of the list for us.

The majority of tvs only re-output 2.0 from their optical input.

You'd be surprised. Most TVs I've seen that have an optical port and accept HDMI audio just need their settings changed from PCM to bitstream. At least, most name brand TVs I've seen. Sometimes the setting is just buried in there in some weird spot. I used to do home theater and TV installations.

Of course, you'll see cheap ones like Element or Sceptre that don't have that option, though. But many of those don't have an optical port to begin with.

Matt

You'd be surprised. Most TVs I've seen that have an optical port and accept HDMI audio just need their settings changed from PCM to bitstream. At least, most name brand TVs I've seen. Sometimes the setting is just buried in there in some weird spot. I used to do home theater and TV installations.

Of course, you'll see cheap ones like Element or Sceptre that don't have that option, though.
Really? I've only encountered a few that would do that...but then again I haven't really looked into it for a long time.

PlayriseDigital

Neo Member
The PS4 always had USB3

Gotcha - so SATA3 would be the biggest win. 500MB/s read and write would transform it. Not cartridge times, of course, but 5-6x over the standard spinner would be massively welcomed.

Personally, I can live without the wifi improvement (I'm on wire) but for those who have their routers in another room AC1200 min would be great.

Nick

THE:MILKMAN

I was just comparing the PS4 slim with the One S and noticed a small detail with their PSUs.

A3bE4uhEQPmTh42u.medium

ikrivnlsftbj1z8lz4li.jpg

Note the part numbers. PS4= N15-160P1A One S= N15-120P1A

So Sony having used Delta for the PS4/3 PSUs have switched to Chichony?

Yes I'm bored waiting for the Sony event tomorrow...

Top Bottom