• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Software Update 1.5 is now up for download

Steel

Banned
I don't get why people are so worried about the update crashing the servers, there's only going be 1-2 mill? on day one vs. however many million on ps3 that update regularly.

The key word here, 1-2 million people downloading an update and downloading games(PS+ and otherwise) all at the same exact time. You know those Sim City servers EA had? They didn't expect them to go down either.

Downloading now!

iWRuVaBH6tivF.gif
Wait wait wait...

That was a copy of Killzone. Was the cover known way back then? I thought the cover art was only recently revealed.

fsckit

Neo Member
Yeah it was the same for me, I hope this is a good sign, although PSN has always been fast for me.

Firmware download speed has nothing to do with PSN.

Sony's using Akamai as a CDN to serve the updates. The update traffic on Friday will never touch their servers. It's the right way to serve this volume of data as it guarantees that everyone will get it from an Akamai server close to them.

Hopefully they're using Akamai for more than just downloads and serve things like the PSN social stuff through it as well.

dus01.ps4.update.playstation.net canonical name = al02.cdn.update.playstation.net.
al02.cdn.update.playstation.net canonical name = a01.cdn.update.playstation.org.edgesuite.net.
a01.cdn.update.playstation.org.edgesuite.net canonical name = playstation.sony.akadns.net.
playstation.sony.akadns.net canonical name = a192.d.akamai.net.

Five

Banned
I've got slow internet so, yeah, I'm downloading now. I don't want to be stuck waiting an extra thirty minutes or more come Friday.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Will we need the recovery file if nothing is on the hard drive? I plan on swapping out my drive before I even boot up the console and I want to know if I need that as well and how to go about using it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do we know what we should name them yet? The Recovery File has the same filename as the system update so I need to change them.

Kvik

They really need to post the sha1sum for these updates for those who prefers offline update. Nothing like bricking your console on day one.

Thanks OP. Downloaded both just in case. Doubt I'll use restore because I still don't know enough about how certain storage types will perform to commit to one.

What I wanna know is if we have to make three folders, one in the other and that one in yet another folder, and stick the firmware update file in the deepest layer like for PS3 and PSP.

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
Can't use it until the 29th, but downloaded anyway.

Speaking of downloads though, the updated PlayStation app is now available to download on Google Play.

Einz

Neo Member
Any instructions for OSX users (like me)?

In the past I could just format the USB to FAT32. If anything a NTSF formatted USB should be fine, correct?

Thanks.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Will we need the recovery file if nothing is on the hard drive? I plan on swapping out my drive before I even boot up the console and I want to know if I need that as well and how to go about using it.
My own assumption is that the recovery file is the full (1.5) OS and the system update file is just the updated files. Sony hasn't detailed how the software update process/HDD installation will work, but considering the PS3 HDD installation procedure and the two PS4 software files on the servers I believe the recovery file will be required for HDD installations.

Do we know what we should name them yet? The Recovery File has the same filename as the system update so I need to change them.
It'll probably be similar to the PS4, PS4 -> UPDATE -> PS4UPDATE.PUP. The system should be able to detect if the file is a full recovery file or just the system update. I'll make sure to update the OP with the procedure once Sony releases it.

What's in this update?
  • USB headset support
  • All the online stuff (PSN, Twitch, Party Chat, etc...)
  • Music Unlimited in game support
  • Blu-Ray & DVD support

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/25/ps4-system-software-update-1-50-details/

Where the official article from sony about this?

I cant find anything.
The blog post on the update was a posted a while back.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/25/ps4-system-software-update-1-50-details/

The link to the download and the instructions on how to install it haven't been publicly released/linked on us.ps.com. I'll update the OP when that stuff gets posted.

Top Bottom