• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpassed Wii U in Japan

On one side, we have the entire might of the relevant JP console third parties and exclusivity on the popular western games. On the other side, we have a plumber and some squids. Took them long enough seeing how the Wii U has had about half a dozen notable releases this year.
An interesting analysis.

68k LIFETIME sales for Xbox One is just lol. I mean, I know no one cares about Xbox in Japan but that is still insanely low. Do they still release games for the system there and if yes how do they have to pay stores to stock them?

Datschge

Wii actually did pretty well in japan too for first couple of years (it was outpacing PS2). it just died even faster in Japan than in west. I really don't know how industry backing Wii more in Japan would have changed things in longer run though. WiiU would have bombed nevertheless and PS4 would have struggled just as much as it has now.
Wii was the last home console successful in the Japanese mainstream. By essentially ignoring that audience the industry let that audience move to the next big thing which in Japan was mobile and the rise of smartphones (the DS hype predates that of the Wii after all). Publishers failed to deliver software that could have kept the audience interested in home consoles, and Nintendo failed to deliver further interesting hardware to renew that interest (the last successful one was Wii Fit). That's why the Wii dropped as hard as it did, and why no other home console was able to contain those losses in Japan. The market completely imploded.

68k LIFETIME sales for Xbox One is just lol. I mean, I know no one cares about Xbox in Japan but that is still insanely low. Do they still release games for the system there and if yes how do they have to pay stores to stock them?
Yeah, games are still released and I wouldn't be surprised if payments were exchanged to keep it all going. I'm not sure about that though.

Nice hold for the Wii U all things considered (much better than getting outsold in the UK for example in a week). Splatoon certainly helped to delay the inevitable. Still sad that it only resulted in less than 3 million sales because Japan now hates consoles. Maybe the hybrid NX will do better.

Wii was the last home console successful in the Japanese mainstream. By essentially ignoring that audience the industry let that audience move to the next big thing which in Japan was mobile and the rise of smartphones (the DS hype predates that of the Wii after all). Publishers failed to deliver software that could have kept the audience interested in home consoles, and Nintendo failed to deliver further interesting hardware to renew that interest (the last successful one was Wii Fit). That's why the Wii dropped as hard as it did, and why no other home console was able to contain those losses in Japan. The market completely imploded.

But how that would have changed the current gaming landscape? Wii would have had couple extra years of good sales but what then? It would not have changed the fate of PS4 and WiiU at all.You could add maybe million or two to current WiiU LTD with better support from the gates but that wouldn't change the bigger picture at all.

I have no idea why they even released the One in Japan. You could see that the Wii U and PS4 are doing poorly there and that's from Japanese companies whose previous consoles did well in Japan. Why would the One do any better, especially when the 360 did awful there?

Yeah, games are still released and I wouldn't be surprised if payments were exchanged to keep it all going. I'm not sure about that though.

Well, at least MS is supporting the system for the few people that did buy it, that's awesome! An install base of 68k in a country with a population of almost 130 million ... wow.

Datschge

But how that would have changed the current gaming landscape? Wii would have had couple extra years of good sales but what then? It would not have changed the fate of PS4 and WiiU at all.You could add maybe million or two to current WiiU LTD with better support from the gates but that wouldn't change the bigger picture at all.
If the industry were earnestly targeting the audience that the DS and Wii captured the current gaming landscape would look completely different nowadays. Only since they didn't we have a very clear split between casual mobile gamers and semi-hardcore handheld and home console gamers, with publishers scrambling trying to reach that much more profitable casual audience on mobile now after they didn't care for them on their home turfs (where they had an advantage and made no use of it). For Japan the main difference is that home console is an absolute niche market nowadays, with no realistic prospect of recovering.

MacTag

Banned
Zelda's.......really not that popular in Japan....
Zelda Top 3
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 636.571
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D 469.082
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 454.306

PS4 Top 3
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain 497.226
Knack 401.579 (400k were "free" downloads)
Dark Souls III 389.257

Well deserved, take the country back Sony, please.
Not much chance of that. 3DS is poised to end up with a higher ltd than every PlayStation in Japan (including PS1 and PS2), NX will surely dominate whatever dedicated market is left outside mobile.

btrboyev

Not really a win for Sony...

Console gaming is dead in Japan. There are very very Japanese developers still making games for console platforms.

Mory Dunz

Zelda Top 3
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D 636.571
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D 469.082
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds 454.306

PS4 Top 3
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain 497.226
Knack 401.579 (400k were "free" downloads)
Dark Souls III 389.257

Is that supposed to mean something...?
Or are you agreeing with him.

man, I've having to take on both sides rn lol

cakely

Eh, it's 3.2 million consoles. That's not nothing. It's more than the gap between the XBO and PS4 in the US, right?

Also, 68k lifetime, wow.

JqYTmjn.gif

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
It probably will, PSVR is looking promising and the Japanese-centric games are starting to release more frequently.

Big hitters like FF15 and Dragon Quest XI are coming, along with other good-sellers like Yakuza and Persona.

DQIX is by far the biggest thing there... but it will be split across three platforms including at least one and potentially two handhelds.

The console market in Japan has reached the point that it needs huge system sellers to change the current outcome, and launching a new complimentary hardware platform alone will not do that.

MacTag

Banned
Is that supposed to mean something...?
Or are you agreeing with him.

man, I've having to take on both sides rn lol
Zelda's not huge anymore but it's still a sizable IP if certain entries can do 400-600k. The Wii U remasters did do really badly though and all the spinoffs pretty mediocre.

Mory Dunz

Zelda's not huge anymore but it's still a sizable IP if certain entries can do 400-600k. The Wii U remasters did do really badly though and all the spinoffs pretty mediocre.

Yeah, in the past Zelda has done good numbers. Not excellent (1m+), as of late.

But OP said "Zelda could've kept Wii U above PS4 in 2016."
Guy said "Zelda isn't nearly that big in japan"
You posted how some 3ds Zeldas have sold 100-200k better than PS4 games. like, ok?

you see how your post made me go "what"
Only a game selling like 2-3million on the wii u would have hopes of that kind of effect.

HotHamBoy

Maybe this is why the NX is more handheld than home console.

Bingo.

It's actually very typical for Nintendo to cater to the Japanese. New dedicated handhelds just don't seem like a viable option in the West in the year 2017.

Granted, it's also a hybrid home console, so I guess they are covering their bases.

HardRojo

Okay, cool.

A non-event.

And the fact that it took years, a price drop and a new model, makes it even less impressive.

Truly a battle for SCRAPS.

You two sound a bit mad. Also, the PS4 was already close to achieving this without the price drop introduced with the new model.

On topic: Really surprised it took this long to be honest, goes to show how little Japan cares about home consoles, it'll be interesting to see how NX performs there as an hybrid.

openrob

Wii U (mostly) sold very respectably in Japan, though as people have said, it sounds crazy that it took this long.

NX will decimate Japan.

I'd be wary of using Persona 5 sales as evidence that interest in PS4 software is picking up. When Yakuza: Kiwami launched early this year, 40% of sales were on PS3. And 30% of Tales of Berseria launch copies were sold on PS3 last month.

While the majority of launch sales of Persona 5 were on PS4, it's more likely that the audience interested in Persona 5 were the people who'd have bought PS4s anyway at this stage, and they aren't necessarily representative of the entire console market in Japan. Likewise, console sales have gone up admirably year-on-year (though last year's sales during this period were depressingly low), but unless Persona 5 has Splatoon-like legs it won't save the PS4, much like how, say, Smash Bros 4 didn't save the Wii U.

Still, Sony needs to do something. Vita is getting long in the tooth for releasing handheld versions of bigger budget games (World of Final Fantasy may be one of the last), and if PS4 Pro and PS VR don't reignite PS4 sales I don't know what will. I wonder if SIE intend to relaunch PS4 in the region along with the Slim and some compelling software.

On one side, we have the entire might of the relevant JP console third parties and exclusivity on the popular western games. On the other side, we have a plumber and some squids. Took them long enough seeing how the Wii U has had about half a dozen notable releases this year.

It's good for PS4 to get here, and software sales seem to be sustainable enough for good releases for the most part, but the Wii U will still hold a few wins. It has 4 million sellers, and one of them has the potential to hit 2 million. Will the high end PS4 software hit those heights? Time will tell, but I'm not optimistic.

Interesting post. It's amazing that it even took this long to outsell the Wii U to begin with, and Splatoon is one of the best selling console games in Japan released in the past decade which certainly says something (I'm just not sure what exactly).

With a Splatoon followup, NX is guaranteed to sell at least as well as Wii U in Japan, but it's also absorbing the entirety of the handheld market that came before it. Though I suspect if publishers release upcoming games as cross-gen 3DS/NX (like Monster Hunter 5) NX adoption might not be that fast. We'll see.

Bingo.

It's actually very typical for Nintendo to cater to the Japanese. New dedicated handhelds just don't seem like a viable option in the West in the year 2017.

Granted, it's also a hybrid home console, so I guess they are covering their bases.

Yup. Iwata mentioned in 2014 (I think) that their next platform would make considerations for how people play across the world.

MacTag

Banned
Yeah, in the past Zelda has done good numbers. Not excellent (1m+), as of late.

But OP said "Zelda could've kept Wii U above PS4 in 2016."
Guy said "Zelda isn't nearly that big in japan"
You posted how some 3ds Zeldas have sold 100-200k better than PS4 games. like, ok?

you see how your post made me go "what"
Only a game selling like 2-3million on the wii u would have hopes of that kind of effect.
Sure I can see that and I probably should've added context to my post originally.

I doubt BOTW would've made much difference alone although it's fresh feeling and divergent enough that I feel it could've done much better than the last several home console Zeldas would imply, especially had it been timed to build on the traction Splatoon and Mario Maker were driving. My comparison was in response to Zelda as an IP not being big anymore. It's still arguably bigger than anything on PS4 yet and bigger than anything on Vita except Minecraft. Bigger than Persona, bigger than Yakuza, bigger than God Eater, etc. 500k territory still seems relatively big for today's dedicated hardware market imo.

Sony cannot save Japan. This really is as good as it gets on the home console front.

The content is barely there now and outside of a handful of vanity AAA projects, it's not coming either.

You simply cannot get away from the fact that the majority of Japanese buying public do not want to game on console anymore.

Expect the PS5 sales to be closer to XB1 than WiiU next gen. The only way is down from here.

Vena

I also forgot to mention that 30% of copies of Tales of Berseria sold were for the PS3 version when the game launched just over a month ago.

Mory Dunz

Wii U (mostly) sold very respectably in Japan, though as people have said, it sounds crazy that it took this long.

NX will decimate Japan.

did it though

Nintendrones out in full force early

cual es tu edad

Sure I can see that and I probably should've added context to my post originally.

I doubt BOTW would've made much difference alone although it's fresh feeling and divergent enough that I feel it wouldt've done better than the last several home console Zeldas would imply, especially had it been timed to build on the traction Splatoon and Mario Maker were driving. My comparison was in response to Zelda as an IP not being big anymore. It's still arguably bigger than anything on PS4 yet and bigger than anything on Vita except Minecraft. Bigger than Persona, bigger than Yakuza, bigger than God Eater, etc. 500k territory still seems relatively big for today's dedicated hardware market imo.
Yeah, it's bigger than PS4 games outside of like FF, DQ and probably something I'm forgetting

It's just not big enough to keep a dead system afloat in japan.

Hm, related to your other comment, if it was Wii U exclusive and came....say Nov 2015 or even 2016, do you think it would've beaten Skyward Sword?

Top Bottom