• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpassed Wii U in Japan

Scrawnton

Only 3 million install base? Final Fantasy XV isn't hitting 1 million in Japan :/

More incentive for PC/NX ports?

Yeah if NX can run these big budget Japanese games I can see them being released on it because it seems like it'd be easy money for Japan.

Holy shit, the amount of salt on display by some Nintendo fans in this thread is... Quite something. Come on, y'all are better than that.

--------------------

On topic: I always see these Japan market threads, and I guess I have to ask the silly (maybe even stupid) question: what is the significance of Japanese video game market trends? Do Japanese video game publishing companies still cater to Japan, or do they pretty much cater to the West at this point?

Wii U is STILL very popular here! Nearly all my students own it for Splatoon and Minecraft.

WIU | 2.731

image.php

I still like how they delayed the ps4 launch in Japan, probably didn't expect much from it the first years and they weren't wrong.

Scrawnton

Holy shit, the amount of salt on display by some Nintendo fans in this thread is... Quite something. Come on, y'all are better than that.

--------------------

On topic: I always see these Japan market threads, and I guess I have to ask the silly (maybe even stupid) question: what is the significance of Japanese video game market trends? Do Japanese video game publishing companies still cater to Japan, or do they pretty much cater to the West at this point?

I don't see much salt. Really, it's crazy it look this long considering how fast it outsold Wii U every else.

If Sony doesn't launch a new handheld for Japan they may slowly lose Japan.

Nintendo is still mostly a Japan-first developer and then releases the same games in America. Sony has been extremely western focused for a good while now. Square Enix and Calvin I believe still have a big Japanese focus.

Peltz

You ruined my thread with your short/crappy thread -_-

Anyways:

PS4 is the best selling mome console of this generation in Japan
According to Media Create, we have a new No.1 home console (for this generation) in Japan.

WiiU launch: December 8, 2012
PS4 launch: February 22, 2014

PS4 LTD: 3.267.243
WiiU Japan LTD: 3.265.329
XBO LTD: 68.224

Live camera of the home console race in Japan:

PS4
Downloadd0709.gif

WiiU
wiiu.gif

XBO
tumblr_inline_o3hn8qk56R1ri065t_500.gif
Lol

Only 3 million install base? Final Fantasy XV isn't hitting 1 million in Japan :/

More incentive for PC/NX ports?

PS3 install base was around 4 million when FF XIII launched. PS4 will be probably somewhere between 3.5-4 million when XV launches so not a big difference.

Elios83

Took a while but it's a pretty big sales milestone so good for them.
This will also be the first holiday season with a strong lineup for PS4 in Japan so I expect good sales in the coming months.

Mokubba

I don't see much salt. Really, it's crazy it look this long considering how fast it outsold Wii U every else.

If Sony doesn't launch a new handheld for Japan they may slowly lose Japan.

Nintendo is still mostly a Japan-first developer and then releases the same games in America. Sony has been extremely western focused for a good while now. Square Enix and Calvin I believe still have a big Japanese focus.

Is it crazy considering the state of home consoles in Japan?

Boney

Banned
People noting the launch frame differences is a bit funny in a sad kind of way

Not as sad as the Wii U, but close

Did it in a weekend in the UK, shame it took so long here but that's the sad state of affairs of home consoles and pubs/devs in Japan.

Be interesting to see how FFXV fares but it's a decent install base and should have a strong Xmas ahead.

Scrawnton

Is it crazy considering the state of home consoles in Japan?
Not really. PS4 still had bigger Japanese focused games than Wii U and way more games in general. I do think a lot of it has to do with the handheld market though, so if Nintendo is making a handheld that can play PS4 games (with a little less bells and whistles) then Sony might have a problem staying relevant in Japan (emphasis on MIGHT) unless they continue to do handhelds as well.

yllekz

Banned
Why does anyone care? This is a meaningless statistic.

In fact, it kind of makes the PS4 look like it's struggling, considering it's such a low number to beat and it took the PS4 so long to even get to that.

Elios83

How is a "big" milestone?

Becoming the home console market leader in a main market is a big milestone that every company would like to achieve.
Of course it's obvious that the japanese market has shrinked a lot for dedicated consoles so we're not here discussing about huge sales, at least compared to the past.

Scrawnton

Zelda's.......really not that popular in Japan....
Handheld Zeldas do pretty well. Console zeldas do worse. I expect Zelda on NX to do extremely well in Japan, not so well on Wii U.

In the end it still comes down to Handheld v Console. Japan prefers handheld and I think that's why Nintendo is making NX a powerful handheld as opposed to a console that is more powerful than PS4.

Lunar15

I knew it was dire over there, but I don't think I ever realized how dire it was.

Console market really, really struggling in Japan.

Raylan

Banned

In fact, it kind of makes the PS4 look like it's struggling, considering it's such a low number to beat and it took the PS4 so long to even get to that.
Sales Gaf cares. You don't have to click on every thread, you know?

The whole home console market in japan struggles. And in a struggling home console market, PS4 is king.

MrCarter

How is it stuggling when the PS4 beat its main competitor in Japan who had more than a year head start in sales? Last week PS4 sold nearly 100K (well persona did help) units while the Wii U sold around 3K.

galvenize

Says a lot about the Wii U sales considering it got overtaken by a console released a year later.

test_account

XP-39C²
A non-event.

And the fact that it took years, a price drop and a new model, makes it even less impressive.

Truly a battle for SCRAPS.
It didnt really take a new model and a pricedrop. It was already on the way to outsell the WiiU. The new model and the price drop just sped things up.

DevilFox

Took way too long, all things considered. Not that Sony did anything remarkable to push sales over there, quite the contrary actually.

Top Bottom