• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Software Update 4.50 Features Detailed

madmackem

blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/03/ps4-system-software-update-4-50-features-detailed/

Omg external hdd support megaton.

External HDD Support
Upto 8tb

Custom Wallpapers

Quick Menu Refresh

Simplified Notification List

Post on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds

3D Blu-rays on PlayStation VR

J-Skee

YES! YES! YES!

Finally, I can keep DOOM installed.

(Yes, I'm well aware I've could've upgraded the hard drive internally, but this works better for me.)

EDIT: Just realized that this justifies all the 3D Blu-rays I have now.

BigEmil

This I like!:

"Post on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds

We’re adding the ability to post directly into the Activity Feed, which appears in a variety of places across the console, including What’s New. Under What’s New, you’ll see a new option to post things like text, screenshots, and gifs directly into your Activity Feed. You can also tag games or other users to make sure they don’t miss your post. It’s a great way to show off your greatest triumphs.
Tying into to this new feature, Live from PlayStation will show screenshots that users uploaded to PSN as a Public Activity, so you can show off your best gameplay moments not only to your friends, but to users around the globe."

And this I also like!:

"dim the Function Area, will help keep the system icons and texts on the home screen clearly visible even if the background image you selected is super bright."

External hdd support? YES!

EDIT: Does it have to be 3.0? dammit, I don't have any of those.
Of course. USB 2.0 will be way too slow to read game data off

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
FUCKING FINALLY.

my internal 2TB HDD is already 100gb away from being full.

This is compatible with HDDs up to 8TB in size. You can download and install applications directly to your extra storage, and the saved contents are easily manageable through the settings menu.

Fliesen

75304332.jpg

Oppo

ha! was just about to break down and order a new HDD for my launch PS4. nice.

i have a 2TB usb3 external that is partitioned half Mac HFS+ file system and half Windows NTFS, that second partition should work right? (NTFS is technically the first partition)

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Can someone please post the features here?

StereoVsn

Oh, wow, didn't expect that. If they offer an easy way to love data between internal and external that would be amazing. You can then utilize a smaller SSD for current games and have the external act as a library "archive".

I have a PS4 with 40o gigs (2TB drive) of free space. No big deal, legacy machine. But I have a PRO since launch and the fucking thing only had 500 gigs (2TB) free.

External is so welcomed. Now I can dump crap like Star Wars Battlefront, Doom and Uncharted 4 onto a drive and never think about them again.

Jawmuncher

Glad I waited. I was almost on the cusp of upgrading my HDD. Now I can do so easily, and Cheaper and have more space in general.

So I went through all the trouble of finally caving and putting a new hard drive in my PS4 last month (admittedly, it was surprisingly easy), for them to now have external support.

Always my damn luck. Still looks a lot neater with it inside, I suppose.

edit: Huh, 3D blu ray support in PSVR could actually be cool, I guess.

Yakkity

Great update! 3D Blu-rays is a pleasant surprise, and I was just about to replace the internal 500Gb drive with a 2TB....now no need!

Fliesen

Oh, wow, didn't expect that. If they offer an easy way to love data between internal and external that would be amazing. You can then utilize a smaller SSD for current games and have the external act as a library "archive".

Aye, that would be the perfect compromise. 250gig 'current games' SSD, 4 TB 'game library' external HDD. Total cost ... < $150

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
  • External HDD Support
  • Custom Wallpapers
  • Quick Menu Refresh
  • Simplified Notification List
  • Post on PlayStation Network Activity Feeds
  • 3D Blu-rays on PlayStation VR

Thank you. Pretty good update.

BigEmil

PS blogs never list 100% of every single change. Only few of the major changes.

So when beta version finished and releases final version update out gonna see what other changes and additions have been made from small to big to miscellaneous

Top Bottom