• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 system software update version 7.00 launches October 8, adds Party and Remote Play enhancements

Mista

Banned
Party-FI.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment will release PlayStation 4 system software update version 7.00 worldwide on October 8, the company announced. The update includes Party and Remote Play enhancements.

Here are the details, via the PlayStation Blog:
Party Feature Update

For PlayStation 4 fans who love to play alongside their friends or other community members, the Party feature has been rebuilt to include new features and services including:

• Maximum number of Party users increased from 8 to 16
  • Network connectivity improved
  • Audio quality improved
  • Accessibility support with Chat Transcription has been added (United States-only)
Within the Party feature, you will experience better network connectivity and audio quality. The improved back-end now improves network connectivity and allows users to overcome connectivity issues previously experienced when connecting with other users.

Lastly, the Party App will also offer a new Chat Transcription feature for United States users via the PlayStation 4 Second Screen App on your smartphone or other mobile devices. The new feature supports United States English and converts party voice chat to text, or enables you to enter text that is read aloud to other party members. If using your mobile device to connect to your PlayStation 4 during a Party, you will now see a new Party tab has been added where the new functionality is available.

Remote Play

For those who want to stream select PlayStation 4 games on mobile devices, Remote Play can now be used on smartphones and tablets running Android 5.0 or higher. Just download the PlayStation 4 Remote Play App from the Google Play store to use the feature.

Meanwhile, for iPhone or iPad users, the Remote Play App has been updated so you can now display the controller at all times and lock the screen orientation.

Also, players will be able to use their DualShock 4 wireless controllers via Bluetooth for Remote Play on an Android, iPhone, iPad, and Mac. All you need to do is update to Android 10, iOS 13, iPadOS 13, or macOS Catalina (releasing in October) to use this feature.

As a reminder, a PlayStation 4 system with a wired connection via a LAN cable is recommended.
Gematsu

AlphaMale

I like the increase in party size to 16. I've never had any issues with the quality of the audio tho, so no sure what that improvement is all about...

BigBooper

I like these features a lot, and I wish I was more sociable online. I've literally become a lone wolf when I play these days. I started to hate playing with others coop unless they're really close friends of mine.
Me too. It's just too much trouble coordinating for me nowadays. Feel free to add me as a friend that you never have to play with.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I like these features a lot, and I wish I was more sociable online. I've literally become a lone wolf when I play these days. I started to hate playing with others coop unless they're really close friends of mine.
Same. Even the people I used to play with I can't force myself to join a chat. It doesn't help all they play is shooters or MH. I honestly think most gamers are loners by nature.

Grinchy

Banned
Remote play on my S10+ looks pretty gorgeous, but the controller isn't supported until you have Android 10 or something.

EekTheKat

This firmware seemingly fixed an HDMI-CEC issue I had with a Sony TV and the PS4 (of all things lol). Previous few firmwares would not turn on the TV automatically for me in the current setup I had, while this one seemingly fixed it - the PS4 works like it use to (power off TV and the PS4 goes into rest mode, turn on PS4 and it turns on the TV).

Voice chat with a friend passed the mustard, sound quality was good. Can't test the 16 people thing since at most I only talk to a handful of people at once.

The placebo effect on the HDR adjustment is working on me though - I want to say it looks better but it's hard to tell the difference at a glance between my old HDR settings which I tweaked per individual game and the new global setting. My plan is to reset HDR to default on every game that supports in game calibration and just hope that the global calibration setting works across the board.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Still no open options for audio :/
JUST LET ME SELECT STEREO YOU FUCKS

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird that I already can use a DS4 in my phone but not in the Remote Play app.
I don't understand why we need to wait until Android 10.
Just use your Vita bro! Y...yeah. :(

lucius

After the update I had to delete my remote play app to get it to manually register the PS4 with a code and I was using it before update yesterday fine with my iPad and DS4. It kept failing after I enter the code before I deleted it.

Banned
jesus, I tried remote play, I completely forgot how awful the input lag is lol
especially compared to Microsoft's equivalent (that's sadly only on PC atm.)

that has to be at least 250ms of lag o_O, (it feels slightly worse than the Xbox One version of Rise of the Tomb Raider which came in at around 220ms)
Microsoft's console streaming on the same network (Console with LAN cable to router, then wifi to Laptop) feels more like 100-120ms at worst, so that's crazy to me that Microsoft's cobbled together solution that is hardly even advertised and was an afterthought works so much better than Sony's, which is highly advertised and build in from the beginning.

Grinchy

Banned
This is fucking bullshit.
It really makes no sense to me. I can connect the controller to the phone. It works fine for the OS and things like retroarch. But this one specific app just doesn't allow its use until a new firmware. Just dumb as hell.

Banned
if you are below Android 10 you have to connect the controller via USB

that works but is obviously just awful all around.

that plus the horrible input lag make this feature only really interesting if you play something like Persona 5 🤷‍♂️

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
jesus, I tried remote play, I completely forgot how awful the input lag is lol
especially compared to Microsoft's equivalent (that's sadly only on PC atm.)

that has to be at least 250ms of lag o_O, (it feels slightly worse than the Xbox One version of Rise of the Tomb Raider which came in at around 220ms)
Microsoft's console streaming on the same network (Console with LAN cable to router, then wifi to Laptop) feels more like 100-120ms at worst, so that's crazy to me that Microsoft's cobbled together solution that is hardly even advertised and was an afterthought works so much better than Sony's, which is highly advertised and build in from the beginning.

That is so weird. I get virtually no lag on my setup (using the Vita).

But I barely remote play regardless. Neat novelty, but nothing I am really interested in utilized personally.

Banned
That is so weird. I get virtually no lag on my setup (using the Vita).

But I barely remote play regardless. Neat novelty, but nothing I am really interested in utilized personally.

you have to... literally the lowest possible lag is at around 200ms, and that's with a PlayStation TV and a PS4 wired to a router.

that's the lowest achievable input lag on remote play.
and 200ms is absolutely awful.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
you have to... literally the lowest possible lag is at around 200ms, and that's with a PlayStation TV and a PS4 wired to a router.

that's the lowest achievable input lag on remote play.
and 200ms is absolutely awful.

I guess it depends on the type of game. Didn't DF measure 100ms? Where are you getting 200ms minimum?

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

if you are below Android 10 you have to connect the controller via USB

that works but is obviously just awful all around.

that plus the horrible input lag make this feature only really interesting if you play something like Persona 5 🤷‍♂️
I tried connecting it with a USB C and an adapter, its still not working

DonF

Remote play on my S10+ looks pretty gorgeous, but the controller isn't supported until you have Android 10 or something.
where is the remote play app for android? or whats the name?
edit: is it the old one?

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

So is this still Wi-Fi only?
So is this still RETARDED?
Wifi only makes sense carriers would have to approve anything streaming over 480p and probably don't want game services clogging their networks just yet. The dumb thing is no compatibility with dualshock 4.

Skyfox

Wifi only makes sense carriers would have to approve anything streaming over 480p and probably don't want game services clogging their networks just yet. The dumb thing is no compatibility with dualshock 4.
A simple WiFi warning (actually already built into most phone OS) makes sense.

A restriction that eliminates the only benefit of the technology for those of us with unlimited high speed mobile data is stupid.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't understand why you have to wait for android 10 when this has been pretty much given on Xperia Devices for years.

Top Bottom