• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 system software update version 7.00 launches October 8, adds Party and Remote Play enhancements

Three

A simple WiFi warning (actually already built into most phone OS) makes sense.

A restriction that eliminates the only benefit of the technology for those of us with unlimited high speed mobile data is stupid.
It has nothing to do with data caps or bandwidth. They recommend connecting your PS4 with ethernet, recommending against the use of wifi. If wifi isn't low latency enough and not recommended then using crappy high latency mobile networks is just batshit stupid.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't understand why you have to wait for android 10 when this has been pretty much given on Xperia Devices for years.

Especially when the DS4 connects to the phone just fine already. It's really bizzarre. The phone and other apps can still be used by the controller just fine.

The remote play app recognizes that the PS4 controller is connected to the phone and then arbitrarily tells you it isn't supported. It's confusing as hell to me, but I guess it's yet another wait for remote play.

Psykotik

the system wide HDR calibration is there.

i started up days gone right after the update and the HDR calibration thing popped up.

Skyfox

It has nothing to do with data caps or bandwidth. They recommend connecting your PS4 with ethernet, recommending against the use of wifi. If wifi isn't low latency enough and not recommended then using crappy high latency mobile networks is just batshit stupid.

I said high speed and I said restriction. You said bandwidth and you said not recommended.

We don’t all have crap mobile data. I’ve successfully used remote play on my vita from my phones WiFi hotspot with no issues (better than the shit WiFi on the PS4).

Unfortunately as other posters have mentioned in other threads, this restriction (no choice), means I have to carry TWO phones in order to just use L2 R2 which most games require.

You are advocating the removal a key feature just because you can’t use it.

PS4Pro

Neo Member
Why not android tv compatible, cmon Sony. My Sony oled even has DualShock 4 support out of the box....

Mithos

Can not download, it fails, and can not go online on any games because it need 7.00, yay!

Edit: Finally download and install working together...

Last edited:

Three

I said high speed and I said restriction. You said bandwidth and you said not recommended.

We don’t all have crap mobile data. I’ve successfully used remote play on my vita from my phones WiFi hotspot with no issues (better than the shit WiFi on the PS4).

Unfortunately as other posters have mentioned in other threads, this restriction (no choice), means I have to carry TWO phones in order to just use L2 R2 which most games require.

You are advocating the removal a key feature just because you can’t use it.
You have "high speed" Internet. That usually means more Mb/s (bandwidth) not low latency. No provider offers low latency mobile networks.
Fair enough if you say it is playable and I agree they should add an option in the settings to enable it with a warning. That would be the best option. In the meantime you can get one of the Custom APKs or if you have a rooted phone there is an app to bypass any wifi check in apps.

Psykotik

Does it make the HDR look better? Or is that part of the update a bust?

didnt really notice any difference with days gone. havent tried out any other HDR enabled games either. i'll check it out again with horizon zero dawn and report back. the HDR in that game always impressed me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why not android tv compatible, cmon Sony. My Sony oled even has DualShock 4 support out of the box....

Why would you remote play your PS4 to your OLED TV, wouldn’t you just play it directly?

DS4 support is leftover when we had PSNow support on our Sony sets. Works well for Android games as well. I bet PSNow will be coming back to it as well around next gen.

jesus, I tried remote play, I completely forgot how awful the input lag is lol
especially compared to Microsoft's equivalent (that's sadly only on PC atm.)

that has to be at least 250ms of lag o_O, (it feels slightly worse than the Xbox One version of Rise of the Tomb Raider which came in at around 220ms)
Microsoft's console streaming on the same network (Console with LAN cable to router, then wifi to Laptop) feels more like 100-120ms at worst, so that's crazy to me that Microsoft's cobbled together solution that is hardly even advertised and was an afterthought works so much better than Sony's, which is highly advertised and build in from the beginning.
Do you have OG PS4 or Pro?

OG PS4 has 100ms of encoding latency according to DF, while Pro is much better. Something to do with the VCE block.

Shame D dark10x didn't test the PS4 Pro later on. :(

I've tried Share Play over the internet with a friend living in the same city as me and it works like a charm, including 60 fps Competitive MP. Image quality is a bit blurry (720p) and blocky, but that's it.

Top Bottom