• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Update 1.70 is Live

"Bad" battery life? Okay, I know we were super happy (and maybe spoiled) by the dual shock 3's battery life, but my DS4 lasts roughly a little more than 6 hours on a full charge. I'm never going to play 6 consecutive hours of gaming without taking a break to go make a meal or something, so it's not like I cant just plug the controller back in when I take a quick break.

6 hours for a controller is pretty atrocious and my only complaint against the otherwise great DS4.

Hopefully a revision down the line will have a better battery.

MickeyPhree

6 hours for a controller is pretty atrocious and my only complaint against the otherwise great DS4.

Agreed. Six to eight hours is a joke. My only real knock on the system after owning one for six weeks.

Vaga

Nice to finally add the option to switch users instead of logging out everytime. And the UI is much faster now.

Of all things, I was most interested to see if Video Capturing using the Share button was fixed. I tested it with Killzone as I've had issues with that game consistently. Im still not sure if the video share bug is specific game related. I changed my video capture duration to 3 minutes. I also rebuilt the database on the PS4 before installing 1.70.

First try:
-Loaded Killzone
-Played for over 3 minutes and pressed Share
-The screen capture saved, but no video saved. In fact, the video showing in the preview was from the Trials Fusion demo, a video capture I had made days before on the old firmware.

Second try:
-Restarted Killzone
-Video was captured with a length of 2:14. Luckily it captured the END of the video, which is usually what I want and what it used to consistantly miss, but strangely had a random start point.

Third try:
-Restarted Killzone
-Video was captured with a length of 2:07. Once again it captured all the way to the moment I pressed Share, but just has a random start point.

I can live with this as it's certainly an improvement, but it boggles the mind why they can't get this fixed. Im wondering if there are other weird bugs or differences if you choose a different capture duration?

Disappointing. I guess we can say it's kind of fixed, but not really.

Dunlop

Nice to finally add the option to switch users instead of logging out everytime. And the UI is much faster now.

cool.

Need to test what happens tonight when the DS4 powers off due to inactivity and I reactivate it.

Drives me nuts that it will ask me which account I want to come back in as, hopefully it just goes to the UI now

Hopefully that stupid bug that wouldn't let you turn on the console with Remote Play if you had a USB keyboard plugged in (since it would stupidly ask you who was using the keyboard, before connecting through remote play and therefore never letting you connect) is fixed.

It was such an stupid oversight, but very annoying (keyboard is plugged for FF XIV).

Chabbles

That's great news. 5 Mb/sec @ 720p is very good quality.

I wouldn't say "very good", its decent though.

Edit,
how much does uploading to youtube ruin it though?

5mb @ 720p is the standard for 720p Youtube vids, 8mb for 1080p.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en
oop.png

Neofx

Anyone else got problems with games crashing after 5 minutes gameplay and party chat system kicking people out constantly? :(

Azull

Ok so after downloading patch 1.70, my playstation keeps spitting out my infamous second son disk for no reason. Like I'll be playing for like 2 minutes or so than all of sudden it brings me back to the main menu and a second later the disk pops out. When I try to put the disk in immediately after, it wont accept it. I have to wait a solid 30 seconds till it takes the disc back in. What the hell is going on with my playstation?

Edit: If anyone else is having this issue, I had to delete all the files (excluding the save file of course) from infamous and re-download them. So far so good, ill report back if it happens again.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
HDCP off fixed the problem my PS4 had with my HDMI switcher!

...but you have to re-activate it every time you want to use Netflix, so it kinda defeat the purpose. Oh well.

andycapps

Are you plugging in your DS4 as soon as it tells you to? Because I've noticed that after it tells you to that there is typically another 30 mins-1 hr of battery life there before you really need to. Doesn't change things drastically, but I was surprised how long I could play after it told me to plug it in. I have two DS4's so it's really no big deal (for me) either way, just turn the new one and plug in the one that's dead.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
FB/USB comparison with lots of particle effects (where compression is usually seen the most)

FB
10010487_613632618711951_1129966577713133752_o.jpg

USB
i62WQVcE9o6rQ.jpg

FB
861025_613632485378631_6390946307446495245_o.jpg

USB
iZAQN733zlodU.jpg

FB
664376_613632378711975_882514123342818022_o.jpg

USB
iZJmP79DHo4wD.jpg

much better, but lossless screens would be nice.

Iorv3th

Hopefully that stupid bug that wouldn't let you turn on the console with Remote Play if you had a USB keyboard plugged in (since it would stupidly ask you who was using the keyboard, before connecting through remote play and therefore never letting you connect) is fixed.

It was such an stupid oversight, but very annoying (keyboard is plugged for FF XIV).

Yep, wouldn't work with USB headset either. Really hope it's fixed.

peull

What I mean is, what does it look like? How can I "view the comments" without switching modes? Does this mean I can see the comments but my viewers don't? I don't get it.

^this

when im livestreaming in full screen, it notify me when a new viewer is there and when a new comment is in. but i cant see the comment without pressing share then view comments...

the only way to see comments as i livestream is to have the bar on the right of the screen always displaying comments and viewers count...

is there no way playing full screen and display comments for a moment when they are in?

Looks like the update has fucked my PS4.

It hung at the PS logo for a couple of minutes on boot up before eventually loading up. Noticed it hung on some screens for a while too. I just downloaded Stick it to the Man, installed, went to play it and it froze on the start up page. Went to turn off the system and everything froze. The only option I had to turn it off was to unplug the cable. Now when I turn on the system it boots in Safe Mode. Asks me to put a USB in with the 1.7 update on.

So I did and it says there's no USB device plugged in.

What else can I do?

Stealth updates list:

-Notifications: New notification type: From PlayStation.
-System: Multi user login with a single DS4.
-System: No more log in screen when reconnecting the DS4
-System: When a game crashes you can now chose to attach a video clip in the feedback
-Settings: Option to enable sending in the crash reports automatically.

-Settings - Audio: You can now force the PS4 to output 5.1 channel audio over HDMI even if it detects 7.1 channel support.
-Settings - Video: Deep Colour Output.
-Share: Upload multiple screenshots to Facebook at the same time.
-Streaming: Comments/viewers notifications when you are in a full screen streaming.
-Streaming: You can still upload screenshots/video while broadcasting.
-Streaming: You can view comments without having to switch streaming modes

Very nice additions.

Looks like the update has fucked my PS4.

It hung at the PS logo for a couple of minutes on boot up before eventually loading up. Noticed it hung on some screens for a while too. I just downloaded Stick it to the Man, installed, went to play it and it froze on the start up page. Went to turn off the system and everything froze. The only option I had to turn it off was to unplug the cable. Now when I turn on the system it boots in Safe Mode. Asks me to put a USB in with the 1.7 update on.

So I did and it says there's no USB device plugged in.

What else can I do?

Did you format the USB device to FAT32 or exFAT? It won't work with an NTFS formatted device.

Melchiah

Seems like the Netflix problem is gone as well. Now it starts to play content in HD straight away, instead of SD.

Chabbles

I just downloaded the 720p res video of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-imG1_xxGI0

and it has a bitrate of 1.8Mbit/sec.

edit: This was 2.39Mbit/sec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORqKlZVgy6I

edit2: Three more videos, 2.84, 2.66, 2.92 Mbit/sec.

I updated my last post with this chart

opo.png

Youtube must of made some changes, but the last time i checked (like 6 months ago)
on the youtube support page, it said 5mb for 720p vids, and 8mb for 1080p vids.

I could be wrong, but i've always assumed that if you upload a vid past these bitrates for each resolution, that youtube would convert them to 5mb@720p, and 8mb@1080p. (hasnt stopped me from uploading all my vids at 10mb to 14mb) I've read that you should always upload at the highest quality you can manage before it goes through youtubes encoding for best end results.

EDIT,
Disregard the above chart, is that only for streaming on youtube ?

I found the chart i was looking for.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en
oop.png

Vaga

Need to test what happens tonight when the DS4 powers off due to inactivity and I reactivate it.

Drives me nuts that it will ask me which account I want to come back in as, hopefully it just goes to the UI now

It won't ask no more, also you can keep every user on the console logged in at the same time and just switch between them.

clintar

Apps like Netflix can't be updated cause that would allow users to capture off Netlfix which is illegal. Sony can simply include a white list of all the available apps on the Store that requires HDCP to be ON and have the feature enabled when any of the apps on that list is being used. Once you exit, the HDCP should go back to the default settings which is OFF.

Right, I'm just saying the app might have to be updated so it can tell the OS that it requires HDCP with an API call that wasn't in previous firmwares, otherwise it just goes black like it's doing now. It's just speculation, though. Maybe Sony has the ability to know already like you say.

plainr_

USB transfer is slow as fuck. :/

Yep. Check my benchmarks from earlier:

791MB Video Transfer Benchmarks

Stock 500GB Hard Drive PS4.

External media are all formated exFAT:

USB 3.0 Solid State Drive
38.04 Seconds

USB 2.0 Solid State Drive
140.62 Seconds

USB 2.0 Hard Drive
148.48 Seconds

USB 2.0 Flash drive
405.20 Seconds

Missing form the test is a USB 3.0 with a standard hard drive.

It's incredibly slow even by USB 2.0 Standards.

The average transfer speed is around 20MB/s for USB 3.0, 5.5MB/s for USB 2.0 with HDD/SSD's, and 2MB/s with 2.0 flash drives.

mitchman

Gold Member
TV: Pioneer KRP-500m
Receiver: Denon AVR-1713

Both with latest firmware.

I don't understand why this would be an issue since it worked fine before and HDCP was mandatory pre-patch.

HDMI and HDCP handshake issues has plagued devices for years, and it doesn't seem likely to stop yet :-( Tried with both HDCP on and off?

The way they handled HDCP off is utterly dumb, btw. It should automatically kick on when viewing content that requires it.

Yeah, but those handshake issues...

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Of all things, I was most interested to see if Video Capturing using the Share button was fixed. I tested it with Killzone as I've had issues with that game consistently. Im still not sure if the video share bug is specific game related. I changed my video capture duration to 3 minutes. I also rebuilt the database on the PS4 before installing 1.70.

First try:
-Loaded Killzone
-The screen capture saved, but no video saved. In fact, the video showing in the preview was from the Trials Fusion demo, a video capture I had made days before on the old firmware.

Second try:
-Restarted Killzone
-Video was captured with a length of 2:14. Luckily it captured the END of the video, which is usually what I want and what it used to consistantly miss, but strangely had a random start point.

Third try:
-Restarted Killzone
-Video was captured with a length of 2:07. Once again it captured all the way to the moment I pressed Share, but just has a random start point.

I can live with this as it's certainly an improvement, but it boggles the mind why they can't get this fixed. Im wondering if there are other weird bugs or differences if you choose a different capture duration?

So, I think the problem with the "automatic video capturing" is that it's not really automatic, at least not in the way it's worded in the manual. Try this next time you play. Start up Killzone. Press the share button. Play what you want to play...when there's something in the last 15 minutes or less that you want recorded, press Share again. Check your capture and it should be good. If you want to have the option of capturing again, press share again and start playing again.

The instructions for using share for video are really really poor.

Hawk269

Agree. The battery life is pretty bad. This is universally known, but yet people will defend it for some reason.

Top Bottom