• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Update 1.70 is Live

EL CUCO

Regarding optical passthroughs (sorry not exactly the right thread for this but saw people talking about it in previous page).... I'm picking up a soundbar tonight with an optical cable. Do I connect it to y TV or will I need some kind of splitter and split it direct to my ps3, ps4 and tv?

Heard you lose surround sound if you go direct to TV?

You can connect from your TV but most TV's dont support 5.1 through optical. I think only a few Sony's and Vizio's IIRC. But if your soundbar is 2.1, you should be good.

Wulfegang

Anyone else try Twitch archiving yet? I archived a video, but it has no sound. Am going to have to look later to see if the actual live streaming has sound or not. I didn't see an option to turn off sound...only mic, which I did have off.

I archived a video but it was very quiet. That is only because I had game volume down from a previous cast so it wouldn't drown out my mic.

Shin-Ra

Anyone else try Twitch archiving yet? I archived a video, but it has no sound. Am going to have to look later to see if the actual live streaming has sound or not. I didn't see an option to turn off sound...only mic, which I did have off.
You weren't streaming Child of Light were you? That game (and Dead Nation Apocalypse before patching) wouldn't record or stream sound properly.

ced

This is disappointing.

It's just ridiculous when you think about it.

They should give us the option to disable the light.

If they really want to they can give the developers the option to override it if they feel it's required for their game, and let the system override it if you have the camera plugged in.

KingRamen

Neo Member
Same for me. Never bother with it because it literally takes as long as cold boot. Forget that noise. Biggest disappointment when I was first screwing around with it.

I don't believe standby is akin to a type of sleep mode. It's seems more like it's powered off but with power to the USB ports and the ethernet. The promised suspend feature, like the Vita, should probably alleviate non cold boot performance.

deadpixel

Banned
So I'm guessing PSN name changes still arent a thing?

Choose a name you want and set it so that everyone can see you real name. Eg. My psn is 2cool4skool. Set your real name as "Occams Lightsaber", then under privacy settings, allow everyone to see your real name.

Guys I left my ps4 on stand by mode last night and I have the automatic updates turned on, will the system be updated when I get back from work today??

Choose a name you want and set it so that everyone can see you real name. Eg. My psn is 2cool4skool. Set your real name as "Occams Lightsaber", then under privacy settings, allow everyone to see your real name.

Thought you both had to agree to a name request for others to see?

deadpixel

Banned
Guys I left my ps4 on stand by mode last night and I have the automatic updates turned on, will the system be updated when I get back from work today??

It wouldn't because you have to agree to the new terms and conditions that change seemingly with every update.

It's just ridiculous when you think about it.

They should give us the option to disable the light.

If they really want to they can give the developers the option to override it if they feel it's required for their game, and let the system override it if you have the camera plugged in.

Yeah, or at the very last allow the light to be super dim. Just enough to know that controller is on, but nothing more. The "dim" setting is still quite bright.

Gaz_RB

Man, I really love share factory. Someone should make a guide/OT.

I was trying to figure out how to set the length of an FX like text, and it seems the trick is to split the clip.

Shin-Ra

Facebook vs USB video capture quality

i26EpEeQnJznZ.png
i08DmEWQmx5Wn.png

44.1 vs 48 kHz audio
1.64 vs 4.9 Mbit/sec bitrate

Facebook
14050963216_0bd50535b4_o.png
13887461749_ee921f16b6_o.png

USB

The fine details are blurred out a lot more with the Facebook download.

jaaz

You can connect from your TV but most TV's dont support 5.1 through optical. I think only a few Sony's and Vizio's IIRC. But if your soundbar is 2.1, you should be good.

El Cuco speaks the truth. When I went TV shopping I knew I wanted the Sonos sound bar and rear surround setup--no receiver--so I specifically went looking for a TV that would pass through DD 5.1 through its optical output. I found one in the Vizio M models, and luckily the TV picture quality are excellent. I recall there weren't many that did this, most down sampled to 2.1 stereo. But as Cuco said if your sound bar is only 2.1, it doesn't matter anyways, go for it.

By the way I used to be a receiver guy all the way, but I have to say the Sonos 5.1 system is amazing. I have not missed my receiver set-up once, and I get the added benefit of playing music through the Sonos and Spotify.

Chabbles

So realistically, how much battery power will be saved in the DS4 with the dimming feature on ?, i've read elsewhere that the led consumes so little power to begin with that it wont make much difference, is this true ?

Im having audio issues now, the sound is coming in and out and never done that before until this update. Any solutions?

I have a samsung 5.1 reciever and my PS4 goes thru hdmi and optical frm PS4 to receiver

IMACOMPUTA

So I noticed something has been changed with logins.
Does this mean we can play games on vita with the ds4 without using a separate account now?

So realistically, how much battery power will be saved in the DS4 with the dimming feature on ?, i've read elsewhere that the led consumes so little power to begin with that it wont make much difference, is this true ?

Yes. The controller has bad battery life because they put a small battery in there, not because the LED is using a large amount of power.

Blackdog

Banned
Is there a way on PS4 to record something that just happened or am I limited to only being able to record what's about to happen?

mattp

i wouldnt want a system automatically updating it's operating system without my input, anyway
what if there's a bug in the update that is bricking systems? you wouldnt wanna go home and find out it happened automatically
it only takes 2 minutes to run the update, anyway

They way they handled HDCP Off is so roundabout. Instead of just turning it off for Games and the OS like the Xbone does, you have to select an option to turn it off in the menu and you can't run any media applications with it off. It will give you an error and turn it back on if you want to watch a Blu-ray or use Netflix.

I appreciate being able to record now with my Elgato, but it is so confusing why they did it the way they did it.

DryvBy

Facebook vs USB video capture quality

i26EpEeQnJznZ.png
i08DmEWQmx5Wn.png

44.1 vs 48 kHz audio
1.64 vs 4.9 Mbit/sec bitrate

The fine details are blurred out a lot more with the Facebook download.

Excellent. The video quality is so low otherwise, especially in dark areas where pixel artifacts are all over the place.

icespide

Banned
you don't want firmware updates to install automatically in case there is an issue with the firmware (bricking systems) and you want to opt not to install it

Garland7G

Running into sharefactory bugs. Specifically, when adding music to a clip with multiple stickers. It makes the audio skip. :(
Need to find a work around I guess.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Well why the hell not??
Automatically installing new firmwares to your consumers devices that may add, remove, or modify features or how those features work, sounds illegal. Pretty sure Sony would have gotten sued if the Linux PS3 Removal Firmware was automatically installed even if you opted into the program.

Top Bottom