• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 System Update 1.70 is Live

RedAssedApe

Banned
The new twitch comment layout when watching someone full screen is very bad. The comments are all so squashed together

its still better than what it was before where you could only see two comments at a time in full screen mode.

I spent 20 minutes looking for the stream quality setting, cant find it anywhere. I want to turn it to Max quality, how do I do that again?

Also is there a quality option for uploading videos?

Are you broadcasting? The quality option is right there when you start the broadcast and set your options. I don't think you can change the stream quality of stuff you are watching. It will just try and stream the highest quality it can.

PaulLFC

I'm a bit disappointed that HDCP doesn't activate as needed and then deactivate again.

Turned it off as I assumed that's what it would do, today I tried watching Netflix and as soon as I started the app I got

"You cannot start this app. Go to settings and turn off HDCP"

Even if it just said "You need to turn off HDCP to start this app. Turn off?" With a yes option, but it doesn't even do that.

Lrrr

Does the PS4 take uncompressed screenshots when you hit the share button? Because even after saving to a USB stick and transferring to my computer, my pics are still compressed to all hell.

Shin-Ra

Does the PS4 take uncompressed screenshots when you hit the share button? Because even after saving to a USB stick and transferring to my computer, my pics are still compressed to all hell.
No, USB transfer of the JPEG appears to be extracting the highest quality image permanently saved during capture. Each file contains some basic EXIF info too.

ibgqjj5nlTQjnW.png

Hopefully PNG capture's on the way, or at least a max quality JPEG or options for quality.

Lrrr

No, USB transfer of the JPEG appears to be extracting the highest quality image permanently saved during capture. Each file contains some basic EXIF info too.

Hopefully PNG capture's on the way, or at least a max quality JPEG or options for quality.

Thanks for the reply. This was driving me crazy as for some reason, I thought with 1.7 I was done with compressed pics.

HanselBot

Banned
Oh-oh.

Played some Rayman Legends yesterday (turning into a bit of a grind :D), and just tried loading it up today only to be greeted by a "your save is corrupt" message. Great. Tried to download the cloud save in an attempt to fix it and that's just giving me "An error has occured. (CE-33116-4)".

Great update so far :(

EDIT: Oh wonderful, looks like it's EVERY save on my system. Just tried to load Flower (finished that ages ago so not worried about it corrupting) and sure enough it's stuffed. Hmm. Might have to try rebuilding the database or something.

EDIT2: Rebuilding the database fixed it. Not a great sign though, bring on 1.71.

Yoday

I'm a bit disappointed that HDCP doesn't activate as needed and then deactivate again.

Turned it off as I assumed that's what it would do, today I tried watching Netflix and as soon as I started the app I got

"You cannot start this app. Go to settings and turn off HDCP"

Even if it just said "You need to turn off HDCP to start this app. Turn off?" With a yes option, but it doesn't even do that.
I'm sure they will eventually refine it, but honestly the number of people that even know what this option is, let alone will ever use it, is incredibly small (I can't imagine more than 0.5% of users will ever use it). I think getting the basic functionality in there is good enough, as it just doesn't seem like the kind of feature worth spending time to expand upon while there are more pressing features to work on.

I'm sure they will eventually refine it, but honestly the number of people that even know what this option is, let alone will ever use it, is incredibly small (I can't imagine more than 0.5% of users will ever use it). I think getting the basic functionality in there is good enough, as it just doesn't seem like the kind of feature worth spending time to expand upon while there are more pressing features to work on.

Yeah, I haven't been too bothered by it. It doesn't take but a second to switch it on and off.

Xenon

I'm not sure if it's due to the update, but my launch PS4 is going black and coming back on intermittently. It's not rebooting just the video going out. The only caveat is I haven't touched the thing for the month prior to the update. But I never had this problem before I turned it on and updated yesterday.

HanselBot

Banned
I'm not sure if it's due to the update, but my launch PS4 is going black and coming back on intermittently. It's not rebooting just the video going out. The only caveat is I haven't touched the thing for the month prior to the update. But I never had this problem before I turned it on and updated yesterday.

Occasionally I boot with no video (audio still works). Hopefully they fix all this stuff up soon.

muse41

Banned
Is anyone else having trouble with the vibration on the DS4?

Ever since the update, I've played Ghosts a few times and every time the vibration on the DS4 is turned off, I have to exit the game and go into settings to turn it on

Try turning off deep color.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think they just need to put out 1.71 just to make it set deep color to off by default. Sounds like the cause of the bulk of video issues people are reporting.

leehom

Haven't been keeping up with the thread, but I noticed the PS Store loads instantly for me now. Best feature imo with the update, lol.

So they only included party joining notifications just to tell that one person that he wasn't invited among his list of friends....

Smooth.

/s
Seriously, I created a party to chat with my.bro. In pops in one of my friends that I was not.in the mood to speak to. He can get loud and annoying. Why would they add that?

HardRojo

For some reason my controller wouldn't turn off automatically before the update even though it was set at 10 minutes, now it always turns off after 10 minutes of inactivity, I don't have to go through the login screen and the light is dimmed. Watching Netflix withiut worrying about the battery is possible now, Praise the Updates!

hawk2025

Neat new stuff I like and didn't expect:

- joinable parties + party notifications makes everything super easy. Friend comes online, creates party, everyone can join quickly without multiple invites to be sent. Nice.

- friends list is now sorted by username AND real name if you have it -- no need to remember your real life friend's username to find him on the friends list.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Neat new stuff I like and didn't expect:

- joinable parties + party notifications makes everything super easy. Friend comes online, creates party, everyone can join quickly without multiple invites to be sent. Nice.

- friends list is now sorted by username AND real name if you have it -- no need to remember your real life friend's username to find him on the friends list.

didnt we have this before pretty well?

Is anyone having issues watching any videos through YouTube.com/TV? Just tried watching Star Wars Rebels trailer and it's not playing. I'm just wondering if this is a similar issue that people have been having with Plex web app since 1.70 released.

DrKelpo

Banned
is there any way to see how much time you spent with the games...like the 3ds?

and if not, did sony ever talk about this feature?

My PS4 is still not capturing my gameplay on a consistent basis. Playing BF4 yesterday I even double clicked the share button to start recording; nothing.

Guymelef

Umm, before 1.70 every time i turned on console uploaded save to PS+.
Now i turn on and nothing, if i log off user and login again the console upload the saves.
Am i the only one with this problem?

Yeah, I can verify everyone saying the sharing is still broken. Played about an hour of ACIV, hit "Share" and not only was the video thumbnail of Octodad, there was not a single video clip saved from my ACIV session, let alone the past 15 minutes. So whereas in past I would often find that Share only captured my first 15 minutes of a game, now it seems it captures nothing at all at times. So...it might even be worse?

On a side note, I did double-tap Share after this to record a clip, and it saved a 15 min video without issue.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hitting share is not enough, you must hit share and then the square button.

not to say that there aren't share issues as it sounds like there still are but yeah some people are confused by the change in 1.70. any time you hit share button and there is recorded video or screen you have to hit square or triangle to save now. this is to prevent the annoying behavior from pre 1.70 where you'd have saved videos and screenshots everytime you hit share (i.e like in the dmb)

I believe this even applies if you've manually started a recording unless you hit your set limit.

Umm, before 1.70 every time i turned on console uploaded save to PS+.
Now i turn on and nothing, if i log off user and login again the console upload the saves.
Am i the only one with this problem?
It's always been this way for me also in the online manual it says the same:
Upload to Online Storage

If saved data is updated, it is automatically saved to the PSN server when you log out. By saving it to online storage, you can download saved data to another PS4™ system and continue playing a game. To use this feature, you must subscribe to PlayStation®Plus.
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5228/~/manage-ps4-save-game-data

dcelw540

Can any of you help me? I turned off HDCP because it was making my ps4 flash and turn to a black screen but after turning it off it went away. Atleast for gaming but the internet browser is still having this issue. I use the internet broswer for twitch streams but its intolerable now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Can any of you help me? I turned off HDCP because it was making my ps4 flash and turn to a black screen but after turning it off it went away. Atleast for gaming but the internet browser is still having this issue. I use the internet broswer for twitch streams but its intolerable now.

try turning off deep color?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I've noticed two things.

1 is that whenever I turn on the PS4, sometimes I won't get any audio at all. I have to reboot the system for it to work sometimes.

2 is that random people who aren't on my friend list are appearing in party chat.

Shin-Ra

Pretty sure it explained the new SHARE button behaviour for me the first time opening the menu after updating to 1.70

My problem is either:

I bring up the share menu and the video captured thumbnail is showing an old clip or different game.

Or, there's no option given to save the video.

cormack12

Gold Member
My store access has been horrific since the update. It's fantastic after opening it once but before that, it sits at the ribbon for literally 3 minutes, then I get plain blue screen then it logs into the store.....anyone else get this slow a startup for first store access?

It was OK a couple of weeks ago when I downloaded TRIALS:F

Top Bottom