• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 to launch in Korea on December 17th

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I wonder what the Exchange rate is like right now. I remember hearing something about japanese people going to korea to get the PS3 on the cheap at one point.

DoctorZ

Man, this still just feels weird. I wonder how many in Japan will just import it instead now. Demand will probably be just as high when it officially launches anyways though. Just seems like mean at this point to send consoles elsewhere.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Japan is only seething if you keep on saying it. My 2 close Japanese friends are pretty excited.

That being said, another country to launch for PS4. Is that about 40 or so now?

Japan is only seething if you keep on saying it. My 2 close Japanese friends are pretty excited.

That being said, another country to launch for PS4. Is that about 40 or so now?
Pretty sure they were part of the countries during the asian conference. Just had December 2013 before

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Man, this still just feels weird. I wonder how many in Japan will just import it instead now. Demand will probably be just as high when it officially launches anyways though. Just seems like mean at this point to send consoles elsewhere.

This is what people should have been saying about PS3 or other consoles which sold better in the states than Japan but we've had the shaft here in the west for almost all cycles of Japanese made HW. Consider this the way it should be given the current market conditions.

Anyone who's smart enough to see that the lack of Japanese centered game is probably the main reason for the delay. And they get free Knack.

Pretty sure they were part of the countries during the asian conference. Just had December 2013 before

Maybe so.

I was living in Korea for almost 6 years, now living in Taipei. The won is generally very weak against the Yen and the USD.

That's actually a bit high. Even Taiwan is a bit higher than I had originally anticipated (though, out the door, with the sales taxes in Ontario Canada and everything, I'd be paying roughly the same if I were back home).

Still, software is $10-$15 cheaper, overall, because we're not paying sales tax on top of the sticker price.

leroidys

That seems really strange. SCEJ is serious about pushing the vita there this year I guess. As a vita owner, this is good news.

DoctorZ

This is what people should have been saying about PS3 or other consoles which sold better in the states than Japan but we've had the shaft here in the west for almost all cycles of Japanese made HW. Consider this the way it should be given the current market conditions.

Anyone who's smart enough to see that the lack of Japanese centered game is probably the main reason for the delay. And they get free Knack.

That's why I said mean, it makes perfect business sense and if I was an investor or someone financially connected to Sony I'd be very happy they took this route. I just can't help feel bad as at this point the way they've announced the release dates, it just feels slightly antagonistic.

As an American I imagine we would be pretty upset if the Xbox One was announced to release last in the US by a few months. Granted the console would have to be as appealing as the PS4 to reflect the same amount of frustration.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for Japan. Sony really wants to be ready for them. I guess first impressions over there must be important for products.

lol Sony is punishing Japan for fucking over the Vita.

Vita TV needs a chance, dude.

Takao

Banned
That seems really strange. SCEJ is serious about pushing the vita there this year I guess. As a vita owner, this is good news.

Which is sad given their big holiday lineup consists of two games that are also on much more successful platforms.

Korea is a much bigger gaming market than Japan.

This is not necessarily true. Unless you've gone pro with Starcraft or whatever other pro leagues they have, gaming is still considered to be "taboo". I had a Korean friend who was big on XBox Live (we played together over LIVE) and when we were out one night he was pissed because I mentioned that to his friends.

Virtually all of the game shops in Korea are mom & pop operations, independently owned. There's no big, corporate francise gaming shops.

Console gaming isn't as big in Korea as it is in Taiwan or Japan.

Korean guy did Banderas when he got the first ps4.

ku-xlarge.gif

Shin-Ra

Love the glance and expression on the left lady's face, then the one you can barely see looks 2D and edited in.

Top Bottom