• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UK/EU - Walk into a store and pick it up?

SmokyDave

Went to my local Sainsburys. There was a queue. Joined the queue. Store opened. We were told they had stock to fulfill preorders and five extra. I was the fifth person in the line without a preorder. Queued longer. They came back out as said 'sorry, only preorder stock available'.

I curled up on the floor and died. This post was my last earthly act.

DBT85

You didn't hear the sheer amount of groaning each person gave when they were told it was Knack or nothing.

It was absolutely hilarious.

Lol. Should have found that guy in the queue at the launch event who only wanted Knack.

Went to my local Sainsburys. There was a queue. Joined the queue. Store opened. We were told they had stock to fulfill preorders and five extra. I was the fifth person in the line without a preorder. Queued longer. They came back out as said 'sorry, only preorder stock available'.

Stone cold yo.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole

Maybe Sony will feed you pizza and you will get better.

Reserved one at Argos! It's the Knack bundle...

Honestly don't know whether to go pick it up or cancel the reservation and wait. No offence to Knack but paying 50 quid for a game you don't want is just a bit shit.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

At least you tried mate.

SmokyDave

The afterlife is shit dudes. It's just a big queue.

Reserved one at Argos! It's the Knack bundle...

Honestly don't know whether to go pick it up or cancel the reservation and wait. No offence to Knack but paying 50 quid for a game you don't want is just a bit shit.
You have a reservation and you're thinking about cancelling it?

Well, I know who I'll be haunting then.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The afterlife is shit dudes. It's just a big queue.

You have a reservation and you're thinking about cancelling it?

Well, I know who I'll be haunting then.

Check Argos mate. One of my local stores has stock. Be quick.

SmokyDave

Check Argos mate. One of my local stores has stock. Be quick.
Checked my city, and both cities either side. None for collection.

I have ordered the FIFA bundle because it was showing as in stock for home delivery, but they aren't going to have any. They're 'checking' the order.

Morzak

Just walked in to some electronics stores here, it seems that they didn't even get devices or only a handful, but that was expected it seems Sony didn't care to much about the retailers here. I heard that many retailers were pretty mad at Sony for the amount they were promised.

BibiMaghoo

One shot left and then I have to be at work. Seems I'll be handing CEX £520. Ouch.

Edit: that one shot just failed.

No idea where you live, but Argos have some in the Wirrel and Birkenhead. Also North Wales has some. Seems a few are scattered around still.

GAME being GAME.

I hadn't pre-ordered but went into the store in Bath this morning just for the craic. There were only a handful of us in the queue so it was fairly quiet.

They had walk-in stock, but there's a minimum spend of £550. They had bundles at that price, but in reality I don't think they care how the total value is achieved. Wish I'd asked at the time, but I wonder would it be possible to get the PS4 and then pick up a vita to lift the spend closer to £550?

When do people think we'll hear numbers?

Surely Sony will be touting them ASAP right?

I'm sure it broke PS3 numbers likely PSP numbers

Guessing 250k in UK at least no idea for mainland Europe

Germany seems a big sale

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Went to Argos before work, picked up the killzone bundle I reserved at 8am, man that was a relaxed way to do things.

There was no queue but they said they've sold a lot.

Omikaru

How long do you guys reckon it'll be before stock is replenished at most stores?

I'm not going to run around like a lunatic looking for the fastest in-stock retailer I can, since I'm a phase 2 pre-order scrub at GAME, I just want to know roughly when to expect the phone call to tell me when I can pick mine up?

All I've been promised is "before Christmas", and I find that claim to be somewhat dubious, if I'm honest.

jonno394

Sounds like some of the staff decided they wanted to buy a console and trade in at CEX.

mjAUT

Austrian here, I'm about to cry:

- My first preorder from June got cancelled because the store where I ordered screwed up
- Received one from amazon.com on Monday after the US launch - Blue Light of Death
- Now it's sold out EVERYWHERE, with new stock arriving in February

PS4 GET!

Thanks argos! Big queue outside and they had to turn a lot of people away as all stock was reserved from 6am.

Today is a good day :)

Mask

I already have one coming from Shopto, but I managed to grab a Knack Bundle for my younger brother from Argos this morning.

He was pretty pissed after wasting his time at Asda and GAME, and having no luck.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I tried today. No luck. Ended up getting a Xbox one instead.

I almost did that the other week, made sure I took some money out of my account before I left the house so if I was tempted I couldn't afford it :).

Might put just enough in for a PS4 and see, will try Toys R Us and some smaller stores.

Binabik15

So I was in a small games store in Tübingen, German, which has rouhly 40% university students in its demographic.

I just wanted to SEE a PS4 for the first time, not even buy it.

No chance. Not even a demo unit.

The cashier was on the phone, probably placating a would be customer.

He first complained how someone could be so stupid and go "Oh, we didn't think so many people want it" and went on to tell the person on the other end that it's "like Porsche deciding to release a 911e model for 5000€ and then going 'Oh, we couldn't have posdibly known that one million Gemans want it'". He the said "the console could have been 600€ and still would have sold every one of them".

I smiled, accepted the fact that I won't get to see a PS4 today and left. Should I have waited and asked him if he was talking about Xbone?

I left going out too late tonight, went to 5 Tesco stores and 2 Asda's and none left already, queues for them were insane. Also a few police cars outside a couple of the Tesco stores (probably to stop people getting jumped getting back to their cars...)

Only place you can still probably go is Argos if you can get there early enough. Think that's what I'm gonna do...ugh.

Lol PS4 has made people gon crazy.

Moobabe

GAME being GAME.

I hadn't pre-ordered but went into the store in Bath this morning just for the craic. There were only a handful of us in the queue so it was fairly quiet.

They had walk-in stock, but there's a minimum spend of £550. They had bundles at that price, but in reality I don't think they care how the total value is achieved. Wish I'd asked at the time, but I wonder would it be possible to get the PS4 and then pick up a vita to lift the spend closer to £550?

I would contact Game's Head Office about that "minimum spend" bullshit. They have attach targets (which I'm told is about 4-5 additional items) - they're abusing people who haven't pre-ordered and forcing them to make up the deficit on people just buying a console + one game.

Don't believe their lies.

SmokyDave

Better off getting a GAME bundle, at least that way you get a few games with it. Even if you just trade them in for credit.
Just tried and now my card is blocked, presumably because of all the large failed transactions over the last few hours. Can't speak to the bank because I'm at work now.

This must be some sort of trial.

Xanonano

Well, I managed to reserve a PS4 at Argos (Knack bundle). If anyone wants it, PM me and I'll send you the code so you can pick it up.

Markimark89

Neo Member
Well that was indeed something....

Was at a media markt in germany. There must have been like 50 people waiting for the store to open. Some minutes before the store opened one of the female clerks came with a tablet and filmed the whole rush to the gaming corner XD

But in the end it was a waste of time... even though one of the clerks told me beforehand that there are some ps 4s for non preorders, when everyone rushed to the gamecorner the guys told us that they only have enough for the preorders....

Damn... even though the ps 4 was not for me i'm kinda pissed ...

Looks like my friend has to wait until february too.XD

NeoRausch

crosspost:

looked around in about 6 stores here in Düsseldorf. NOOOO CHANCE!
not a single console on display, only preorders.

guess I have to wait till mid December

SmokyDave

Go for a fag break and call them to unblock it.

I was using the missus' card rather than the card for our joint account. I can't unblock it and I can't get hold of her to unblock it. Can't transfer funds either. So, now I have the money, GAME have the stock, and I can't do a thing except sit here and reflect on my life choices.

Fuck videogaming, I'm taking up stamp collecting. Less stress.

Marv_79

Neo Member
"availible to collect in three days." I guess I'll try game near me. If not I'm getting this one if it's still available.

Might be worth your while checking Tesco Extra in Surrey Quays (rotherhithe) as well, their website says "This store stocks the new PS4"

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
German 80k city, let's say between 3rd and 5th biggest electronics store here:
ib2tlQ3O8pfUGH.gif

Top Bottom