• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 - Vita Remote play will support native vita resolution

raven777

some new information regarding PS4 in this week's Japanese magazine.

- PS4 to Vita remote play will have native vita resolution for all titles.
(I don't know how PS3 remote play worked but apparently PS4's power will allow PS4 hardware to compress 1080P resolution into Vita's native resolution.)

-you do not need to encode or change the format when you transfer movies from PS4 to PC.

-DS4's touchpad is not the priority feature but there are developers who are having intersting ideas for its usage

-PS4EYE's 2 camera will detect user's location even if the user doesn't have DS4 or Move controller.

-they might have PS1, 2 psp emulation in the future, if possible.

source (in Japanese)

Massa

That's basically how Remote Play works in the games that have been updated for the Vita (God of War 1 & 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus and Tokyo Jungle).

acm2000

- PS4 to Vita remote play will have native vita resolution for all titles.
(I don't know how PS3 remote play worked but apparently PS4's power will allow PS4 hardware to compress 1080P resolution into Vita's native resolution.)

haha, all dat powa needed to output a game at a lower res...

Eusis

Doesn't Japan have really good Internet infrastructure? Gaikai might have a great adoption rate there if marketed properly
They are also more attached to physical media I believe. So you get the perfect setup for great internet crashing head on into the worst mentality for it to actually spread for purposes like this.

Not that it's really exclusive to Japan, many of us value physical media more, or at least locally stored, and I think even in a more dense area the latency would be unacceptable for many.

Orayn

Cool beans! Downsampling a game to Vita's resolution should lead to some pretty fantastic IQ on that OLED display.

areal

#gamechanger

iIbdlh4bVc7xS.gif

Bradach

This and remotely controlling my friends ps4 from my place are 2 of the most interesting features.
I just hope they market it well

Orayn

Wait... this was surprising? If they couldn't manage to resize a 1080p image down to sub-HD I'd be really really worried.

Well, I think the important detail is that the resolution for Remote Play isn't "dumb" in that resizing is the only option. Being able to use the Vita's native resolution means the possibility of alternative UI that's sized appropriately for the Vita's 5-inch screen rather than a TV.

acm2000

Well, I think the important detail is that the resolution for Remote Play isn't "dumb" in that resizing is the only option. Being able to use the Vita's native resolution means the possibility of alternative UI that's sized appropriately for the Vita's 5-inch screen rather than a TV.

this is already a given, since the ps4/720 support seperate display panes for game/system/ui/etc

having said that, i still expect some devs to get a bit tarded (dead risingdevs, yes you) and balls up games UIs and fonts in remote play

jiggles

Banned

Actually, I took the exact opposite from this. It sounds to me like they're just confirming that PS Vita remote play works using the same libraries and dedicated video compression chip that the online streaming "remote control" feature does.

The big things for me are that if it's robust enough to work acceptably across the country, it's going to be great over LAN, and that this should be confirmation of 100% compatibility.

I cannot wait for this, I fully love my Vita purchase already, if Sony manage to put every PS4 game on this, I don't see me leaving my bed on a weekend!

That's interesting. I don't see why it technically shouldn't be possible so it's more a question of when they will add PS1-2 BC and not an uncertainty if they will at all.

For PS2 emulation? There are a lot of technical reasons why the PS4 might not emulate PS2 at all, but almost certainly there won't be a blanket "use all" for every PS2 game.

Jellzy

Neo Member
was it confirmed that every PS4 title supports remote play?

Almost. Pretty much all games except camera specific games (Move title, dance games etc.). It may also be possible that developers may be able to opt out of using the feature... unsure though.

Bearing in mind that the Vita's native resolution (960x540) is exactly 4x less than full hd (1920x1080) - qHD as Vita gaf call it, this should look pretty incredible.

Akira_83

Banned
I love my Vita, and will PROBABLY get a ps4 but this feature is a joke

"oh yay i can play games meant for a full controller on the vita and almost definitely be forced to use some crappy back or front touchscreen controls for the extra inputs"

WTF would i do that? If im at home, no way im gonna play a full PS4 game on a tiny screen, it doesnt make sense

if im out traveling? why wouldnt i play Vita games? you know, experiences tailored to the portable? The Vita ALREADY has an awesome library of AAA games and indie games on PSN, and by the time the PS4 comes out its going to be even bigger

inb4 "more options arent bad"

in which case i agree, but some options can come across as stupid IMO

I wonder if the compression in the stream will be noticable like it is on the Wii U GamePad. I mean, it's not terrible on the Wii U, but to someone who has an eye for compression artifacts, it's noticable.

Redhood

That's basically how Remote Play works in the games that have been updated for the Vita (God of War 1 & 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus and Tokyo Jungle).

No it doesn't! Currently the remote play on vita via ps3 is rendered at psp resolution.

Orayn

Playing on a highly compressed Vita in real life certainly will change the game.

While I see your point, it wouldn't be very compressed at all over a local network. Maybe a touch less responsive than Wii U GamePad since it doesn't sound like they're using a custom low-latency setup, but certainly better than how Gaikai/OnLive normally look.

Akira_83

Banned
I wonder if the compression in the stream will be noticable like it is on the Wii U GamePad. I mean, it's not terrible on the Wii U, but to someone who has an eye for compression artifacts, it's noticable.

I can guarantee it will be noticeable

I think the WiiU compression is not only noticeable but distracting. Ive tried to get into this idea of "off screen play" but knowing everything looks so much sharper and more detailed on the big screen in front of me, i cant bring myself to lessen the experience by playing it through the gamepad.

I now use gamepad only for controlling or whatever secondary functions the game assigns it. Off screen play is a joke IMO

GrizzNKev

Banned
While I see your point, it wouldn't be very compressed at all over a local network. Maybe a touch less responsive than Wii U GamePad since it doesn't sound like they're using a custom low-latency setup, but certainly better than how Gaikai/OnLive normally look.

I was making a joke about the image of the Vita being super compressed in that gif. I'm mega hyped for this in reality. Streaming from my PS3 was pretty crap. PS4 to the rescue.

I tried out the Gaikai Facebook demo for The Witcher 2. I had no use for it since my PC will always net me better results, but overall I was impressed by the high image quality and low latency. If they're using that tech for PS4->Vita on a local network, this is going to be cool as balls. If the most this nets me is decently responsive PS4 gaming from my bed or the bathroom, I'll be more than satisfied.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I love my Vita, and will PROBABLY get a ps4 but this feature is a joke

"oh yay i can play games meant for a full controller on the vita and almost definitely be forced to use some crappy back or front touchscreen controls for the extra inputs"

WTF would i do that? If im at home, no way im gonna play a full PS4 game on a tiny screen, it doesnt make sense

if im out traveling? why wouldnt i play Vita games? you know, experiences tailored to the portable? The Vita ALREADY has an awesome library of AAA games and indie games on PSN, and by the time the PS4 comes out its going to be even bigger

inb4 "more options arent bad"

in which case i agree, but some options can come across as stupid IMO

I guess you're not interested in WiiU? There are plenty of times when the big TV in the lounge isn't available - perhaps less for a younger demographic but its certainly appealing to those that share access to the TV.

As for controls - its mainly the lack of triggers. I wouldn't be against the idea of a circle pad pro style cradle to give me proper triggers - I don't like the main vita ones anyway.

Fantastic IQ only to be destroyed by compression artifacts.

Any bog standard N grade router should be able to support a consistent 20mbps stream just fine. Sure, the real time nature means that the compression won't be as efficient but we're talking a quarter of the resolution of 1080p here. There'll be compression but it shouldn't be too noticeable.

Akira_83

Banned
I guess you're not interested in WiiU? There are plenty of times when the big TV in the lounge isn't available - perhaps less for a younger demographic but its certainly appealing to those that share access to the TV.

As for controls - its mainly the lack of triggers. I wouldn't be against the idea of a circle pad pro style cradle to give me proper triggers - I don't like the main vita ones anyway.

I own a Wii-U and i love it. But not for the gamepad, that just happens to be how i control it. I bought a wii-u to see nintendo games in HD

I only play games when everyone else is asleep/gone anyways so i guess i dont have the need. We have 3 kids and i would never be off playing videogames if they are awake, even if just watching TV. I would be spending time with them. Sometimes my girlfriend wants to watch something and i dont, so yeah i totally use my Vita. I actually log more time on my Vita than anything else. But youll find me playing Persona 4 or Lumines or something made for the Vita

i tried playing NSMBU and AC3 on the Wii U Pad and the second i noticed the compression artifacts and remembered im looking at streaming video of a game, i couldnt play it anymore

Bittercup

For PS2 emulation? There are a lot of technical reasons why the PS4 might not emulate PS2 at all, but almost certainly there won't be a blanket "use all" for every PS2 game.
Could you explain why? PS2 emulation already works relatively well on PC and even on the PS3 at least a handful of games on PSN work. I don't see why the PS4 should be incapable of doing any kind of PS2 BC. Maybe not 100% for all games.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
was it confirmed that every PS4 title supports remote play?

No it hasn't been confirmed but when you take into consideration that some Gaikai tech is built into the PS4 and it becomes a server for the Vita, I don't think there's any necessity for devs to do anything at all for their games to work on the Vita. Of course if devs want to use the Vita as an alternative UI then they'll have to code that in.

biggest concern for me is if 1080p games gonna have small text and UI, that will not translate well to Vita resolution, and not many dev will bother to program a more appropriate UI and font for Vita

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
biggest concern for me is if 1080p games gonna have small text and UI, that will not translate well to Vita resolution, and not many dev will bother to program a more appropriate UI and font for Vita

That could be a problem if devs use your typical PC (tiny) fonts, but I don't think they will. I really don't think there will be a problem.

Respawn

Banned
No it hasn't been confirmed but when you take into consideration that some Gaikai tech is built into the PS4 and it becomes a server for the Vita, I don't think there's any necessity for devs to do anything at all for their games to work on the Vita. Of course if devs want to use the Vita as an alternative UI then they'll have to code that in.
Yes it was confirmed by Yoshida. It is mandate every PS4 game has a Vita control setup.

I own a Wii-U and i love it. But not for the gamepad, that just happens to be how i control it. I bought a wii-u to see nintendo games in HD

I only play games when everyone else is asleep/gone anyways so i guess i dont have the need. We have 3 kids and i would never be off playing videogames if they are awake, even if just watching TV. I would be spending time with them. Sometimes my girlfriend wants to watch something and i dont, so yeah i totally use my Vita. I actually log more time on my Vita than anything else. But youll find me playing Persona 4 or Lumines or something made for the Vita

i tried playing NSMBU and AC3 on the Wii U Pad and the second i noticed the compression artifacts and remembered im looking at streaming video of a game, i couldnt play it anymore

I found myself doing the same. It was a neat novelty (omg I am playing Mass Effect 3 in bed!) but there were very few cases where it just wasn't a great experience comparing a big TV/couch/decent sound to a small compressed streamed image and tinny speakers.

monome

Do you think there'll be the same visual benefits with this remote play as there is with downsampling on pc?

ppi of VITA screen > TV screens, right?!

so it should smoothen what's already smooth.

PS4VITA games as smooth as a baby's ass. Sony will use this metaphor to make one of their crazy ass ad.

Top Bottom