• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 - Vita Remote play will support native vita resolution

DBT85

Ahem...I just watched the Knack, Killzone and Infamous 1080 trailers on my Vita (downloaded files)

Then I watched the Killzone gameplay footage at 1080

Then I watched a converted Killzone gameplay footage which I scaled down to native Vita res.

The sex wee. It came out.

The few bits of UI on the screen in the killzone footage looked fine too, I wouldn't say they need to be resized for the Vita.

squallmx

I don't know about 4:4:4, but dat OLED doesn't look awful. PS4 1080p trailers look really awesome there.

If the video is encoded at 1080p then no problem, but if the video is encoded at 540p and VITA only support 4:2:0 color sampling then the quality may suffer regardless of the video bitrate.

BTW Gaikai/On Live are currently using H264 with low latency settings, in the future they could switch to H265.

imjust1n

Banned
I think this is going to be one of the cool features the ONLY complaint that I think is pretty relevant is that the vita is not a ps4 controller it doesnt have clickable joysticks and no r2 l2 buttons and yea with that you can use the rear pad but its not the same. so the experience I get from playing on my tv to the vita could get awkward at times. unless the game developer can incorporate controls differently with the visuals I think it should be perfectly fine if its streaming and that comes into play with lag, if the stream gets laggy it can ruin my experience so this whole gaiki thing its very iffy.

Eric C

Sony will need some high tech software to emulate PS1 titles in a console with PC architecture.

BLEEM5.jpg

This is how I first played Crash and Spyro. To this day I don't know how this was even allowed to be sold in stores and how they weren't sued instantly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleem!

They were sued immediately by Sony.

Bleem actually won though, but the legal fees bankrupted the company anyways.

The best use of remote play I can see myself using would be for sports games. Would be awesome to just lie in bed and finish off a round or match without having to stay up, and also just being able to bring the game with me around the house for when I want to eat and stuff.

that's quite impressive if they pull it off, hopefully there wont be to much lag.

dude, your avatar is bitchin'

So if they are mandating that every game requires a Vita control scheme, does that mean that Vita might be able to be used as a secondary controller? For two player games

Interesting theory of mine.

Gaikai tech works well by rendering a higher framerate in order to reduce latency.

Would not be surprised to see all PS4 --> Vita streams run at 60 FPS which should easily be achievable since it's running at a lower resolution for Vita's native screen

Interesting theory of mine.

Gaikai tech works well by rendering a higher framerate in order to reduce latency.

Would not be surprised to see all PS4 --> Vita streams run at 60 FPS which should easily be achievable since it's running at a lower resolution for Vita's native screen
Had the same thought, it would make a lot of sense. Reducing the resolution considerably to Vita native to up the frame rate

I'm still not 100% sold on PS4, but I'll be damned if that doesn't sound appealing. Remote play in its current form with PS3 is abysmal, but if PS4->Vita is as smooth as Wii U->Gamepad, I'm sold. Love that feature.

params7

Banned
I think this is going to be one of the cool features the ONLY complaint that I think is pretty relevant is that the vita is not a ps4 controller it doesnt have clickable joysticks and no r2 l2 buttons and yea with that you can use the rear pad but its not the same. so the experience I get from playing on my tv to the vita could get awkward at times. unless the game developer can incorporate controls differently with the visuals I think it should be perfectly fine if its streaming and that comes into play with lag, if the stream gets laggy it can ruin my experience so this whole gaiki thing its very iffy.

Yeah, don't know how Vita is going to make up for lack of buttons.

If only it was styled more like Shield..

DBT85

Had the same thought, it would make a lot of sense. Reducing the resolution considerably to Vita native to up the frame rate

For some reason I imagine it still being rendered at whatever the game puts out and then scaled down so no extra frames. We'll have to see.

dwu8991

Banned
I'm still not 100% sold on PS4, but I'll be damned if that doesn't sound appealing. Remote play in its current form with PS3 is abysmal, but if PS4->Vita is as smooth as Wii U->Gamepad, I'm sold. Love that feature.

The Vita would still feel rather awkward - nowhere nearly as comfortable as the Wii U pad

BlazinAm

I find it interesting that on the PS4 page, the only game that doesn't have a video is Deep Down. I think Sony doesn't want to get caught in negative light because the footage being CGI.

I can't help but think that latency will ruin this :/

You should expect it to feel like playing a game online. Can be good or bad depending on latency. I think a lot of games will be playable. You obviously will have to deal with some issues, but it should still be a great experience for most games. I do wish I could play Tekken reliably on it though :/

Goodlife

It's good if Sony make Vita support mandatory, but I doubt developers will put any effort into it, just make it off screen or map / inventory. Kind of like the AC3 Wii U port. There has seemingly been no effort what so ever to use the gamepad in a meaningful way. Don't think the touch screen is used at all?

hwy_61

Banned
Good thing I invested in one of those grip things that makes it feel like a PS3 controller.

I am cautiously optimistic for this. I REEEEEALLY want this to work like Mr. Perry was describing it, but as said before, lag, lag, laaaaaag. There needs to be none of it. If there is, games media will shit all over it, and the Vita will for sure be doomed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah, don't know how Vita is going to make up for lack of buttons.

If only it was styled more like Shield..

there are a few options if remoteplay is mandated

1) ship a 'circlepad pro' type shell for devoted remoteplayers to get the best trigger experience

2) get developers to have a tweaked vita control layout when playing via remoteplay.

3) stick with the crappy 'map L2/R2 to back touch'. front touch probably becomes reserved to mirror the touchpad on the DS4 so won't be usable as a trigger button

DBT85

It's good if Sony make Vita support mandatory, but I doubt developers will put any effort into it, just make it off screen or map / inventory. Kind of like the AC3 Wii U port. There has seemingly been no effort what so ever to use the gamepad in a meaningful way. Don't think the touch screen is used at all?

You are taking more about the Vita being a second screen, rather than remote play which is only being displayed on the Vita.

I have little interest in second screen applications as looking at two screens in this manner is a pain during gameplay, though could be cool for messages and stuff. But remote play is a different beast entirely.

Durante

Should simply watching the 1080 videos for the PS4 content on the Vita give a representative view, minus any compression artefacts?

Or is that not accurate?
That should be pretty accurate. You could recompress them at 960x540 with ~ 15 MBps in x264 with –tune zerolatency to get even closer.

This won't happen. You generally can't just take a game running at 30 FPS and run it at 60 just because you decreased the size of the framebuffer.

Will we be able to use Remote Play with the new Vita spec (with HDMI out) onto another TV? then wasn't it possible to pair your DualShock to the PSP for certain games?

Could be pretty cool if possible.. effectively turning your vita into portable PS4.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Nerfgun said:
That has to be hardware tweaks though. Developing a codec is super intensive, takes years sometimes, and they have the option of simply using a more aggressive codec within the H.264 spec. And a codec won't help latency at any rate, not directly.
Afaik the compression artifacts suggest Nintendo is simply using PVRTC as their "codec". A texture-compression rather than a fancy ass Video-codec, but it gives fixed frame-size & decompression times, ie. it's always going to beat variable-compression schemes in terms of latency - especially codecs that are geared towards compression of Video.

I would actually question the need for lossy-compression on this though, we already have Wireless HDMI devices that clearly use some sort of WiFi hw inside (can't speak for how modified it is) that can stream uncompressed 1080P 3D signals.
Even 11n spec could technically be enough to push over uncompressed 540P video in 16bit YUV - especially if it's limited to 30fps.

Top Bottom