• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 won't recognize USB drive?

Trying to transfer some videos I recorded of some games to an external flash drive for a project in my AI Class. I keep getting an error saying that the storage device is not connected. I formatted the flash drive to a FAT32 format and put a folder named Video on it, but nothing is popping up. I tried all three the two USB ports and nothing shows up.

The steps I am taking to copy the video are going into System Storage Management -> Capture Gallery -> <Video Game> -> Video -> Options Button -> Copy to External USB Drive.

Flash drive is a PNY Attache 16 GB. PS4 is up to date with the newest firmware. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Danlord

Might not make a difference, but perhaps the video folder needs to be "VIDEO" for it to recognise it? Some stuff like this is case sensitive.

Just out of curiosity, what's your assignment about lol?
The prompt was to analyze algorithms of AI implemented in things we use in our every day lives. I chose to study perception in stealth video games, so I recorded some small 15 sec clips from MGSV and TLOU for my presentation.

Formatting to exFAT now and will add a VIDEO folder.

DayEnder

The prompt was to analyze algorithms of AI implemented in things we use in our every day lives. I chose to study perception in stealth video games, so I recorded some small 15 sec clips from MGSV and TLOU for my presentation.

Formatting to exFAT now and will add a VIDEO folder.

It should automatically create a PS4 -> Captures -> Video folder if one doesn't exist.

Is there a reason why Sony still doesn't allow NTFS on their consoles?

NTFS (New Technology File System) is a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

That did the trick, thanks DayEnder! :)

Why didn't FAT32 work but exFat worked? When I quickly browsed Google for people who had similar issues, formatting it to FAT32 worked for them.

Why would you want your USB drive to be NTFS? The only real benefit is the 4 GB+ file size limit.

exFAT solves this. You don't need NTFS unless you're strictly using Microsoft products. I format all my drives to exFAT because I have 50+ GB files that I want to be able to run on Mac, PC and other OS without any issues. exFAT is practically universally supported just like FAT.

5taquitos

exFAT solves this. You don't need NTFS unless you're strictly using Microsoft products. I format all my drives to exFAT because I have 50+ GB files that I want to be able to run on Mac, PC and other OS without any issues. exFAT is practically universally supported just like FAT.

Totally, I had just added that via edit. There's really no reason for NTFS for the USB drive, it limits compatibility severely.

That isn't a USB port in the back? uh oh, I hope I didn't damage anything. The drive was able to go in without any resistance or effort on my side.

Ogawa-san

You made me look too... Nope, it's an aux port. I don't know what I expected.
ps4-back.jpg

DPtheGod

Also, one thing that was important for me, is to ensure there are no files on the drive prior to using it on the Cuatro.

Top Bottom