• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4/XB1/Wii U sales recap - 2015

Raist

Banned
So we've had quite a few updates recently from several large markets, I thought it'd be good to have all that info collected into one thread that we can maybe update later on.

Unless otherwise specified, numbers (M units) are as of the end of 2015.
"?" means the number is not known
"n/a" means the system is not officially available in that country

USA
PS4 12.4
XB1 11.1
WIU 5.01

UK
PS4+XB1 5.5
WIU 0.15 (November 2013)

France (Additional info - PS4+XB1+WIU 2015 sales here)
PS4 2.18
WIU 0.75
XB1 0.725

Germany
PS4 2.8
WIU 0.69
XB1 0.6

Japan (Media Create)
WIU 3.02
PS4 2.3
XB1 0.064

Spain (June 2015)
PS4 0.7
WIU 0.08 (January 2014)
XB1 0.078

Nordic countries (SWE/NOR/DEN/FIN, through 2014)
PS4 >0.5 (PS3 LTD >2M)
XB1 ?
WIU ?

Poland (Sept 2014)
PS4 0.1
XB1 ?
WIU ?

Croatia
PS4 0.1
XB1 n/a
WIU n/a

Portugal (April 2015)
PS4 0.1
WIU ? (Less than 0.008, >XB1)
XB1 ? (Less than 0.008, <WIU)

Italy (July 2014)
PS4 0.21
XB1 ?
WIU ?

Greece (Dec 2015, July 2015)
PS4 >0.09
XB1 >0.01
WIU ? (The official distributor bailed at the end of 2015)

South Africa (Oct 2014)
PS4 0.04
WIU 0.002 (April 2013)
XB1 ?

Middle-east (Sept 2015)
PS4 1
XB1 ?
WIU ?

India
PS4 0.1 (Est. for April 2016)
XB1 0.01
WIU n/a

Australia[/url]
PS4 >0.75 (Early Dec 2015)
XB1 0.066 (Launch)
WIU ?

China (April 2015)
PS4 0.073
XB1 0.071
WIU n/a

Total (UK excluded for PS4/XB1):
PS4 ~23.5
XB1 ~12.73
WIU ~9.8

Official total:
PS4 35.9
XB1 ?
WIU 12.6 (shipped)

The PS4 is available in another 100 countries, the XB1 in another 25 (31 if we include the countries above for which we don't have numbers). No clue about the WiiU.
Canada is probably the only really significant one on its own.

IvanJ

Banned
I see you include smaller countries, so maybe I can offer the number for Croatia.

This article http://www.fair-for-all.com/index.p...-je-playstation-4-konzola-prodano-u-hrvatskoj

states the number is around 100K since launch up to these holidays, as per the official Sony distributor. This company http://www.sancta-domenica.hr/ is the only one authorized to import and distribute PS consoles, so their number is the total Croatian number.

I just read that article, so I cannot know how accurate or reliable they are, but it seems like a legit number.

NOTE: XBox and Nintendo are not officially sold in Croatia, they can be found in a few stores that unofficially import them, mostly from the UK. So those numbers would be zero (0), as they would probably be counted in some other country as sold there.

Raist

Banned
I see you include smaller countries, so maybe I can offer the number for Croatia.

This article http://www.fair-for-all.com/index.p...-je-playstation-4-konzola-prodano-u-hrvatskoj

states the number is around 100K since launch up to these holidays, as per the official Sony distributor. This company http://www.sancta-domenica.hr/ is the only one authorized to import and distribute PS consoles, so their number is the total Croatian number.

I just read that article, so I cannot know how accurate or reliable they are, but it seems like a legit number.

NOTE: XBox and Nintendo are not officially sold in Croatia, they can be found in a few stores that unofficially import them, mostly from the UK. So those numbers would be zero (0), as they would probably be counted in some other country as sold there.

Thanks, added.

Would it possible to have URL links to the sources of those figures. Naturally some of them are from coughinsiderscough so there's no link, but it would be good to have a source IMO.

Raist

Banned
Would it possible to have URL links to the sources of those figures. Naturally some of them are from coughinsiderscough so there's no link, but it would be good to have a source IMO.

What, in case I'm making shit up? :p

Yeah. This thread is WIP.

Coxy100

Banned
Could we not the get the Wii U in here as well?

Then it becomes about a generation - rather than just ps4 vs xb1

Raist

Banned
Feel free to go and gather WiiU numbers and post them here, I could always add them.
I personally can't be arsed :p

Weasley

Wii U has outsold XBO in France, Germany, Japan and possibly others.
^ this

I think including Wii U would be a nice addition to comparing sales in todays market.

Great OP btw, really like the idea of this topic. I'll try and see of I can find any sales numbers of The Netherlands, although I'm afraid this will be quite the challenge.

Raist

Banned
I tried looking for other markets, especially europe, but I'm fairly limited by language on google searches. Would be cool if native speakers could have a look.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Huh - I didn't realize that PS4 and XBO were so close in the U.S.

I actually think the US gap grew in the last few months. IIRC the gap was under 1 million before the end of 2015. 800,000+ maybe?

Wii U has outsold XBO in France, Germany, Japan and possibly others.

the wiiu also came out one year earlier. xbox is selling at a faster pace, in france and germany, and will surpass wiiu this year in those regions. regardless were looking at 13 million wiiu shipped vs 18-20 million xbone shipped, and thats with a year head start for wiiu. i see lifetime console sales of both consoles at 15 million wiiu, vs 40-50 million xbones, and ps4 at 110-120 million

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Wii U is competitive?

2:1 where the 1 is still outselling last gen is competitive. Maybe not WW but US/UK, sure.

With This logic Wii U is competitive in Japan with PS4, and outside US / UK is over XB1...

Let's be serius please, no matter if is selling more than the 360 since this is not the comparation, XB1 is not competitive in a Worldwide contest, if we include XB1 will can easy add Wii U.

Weasley

I tried looking for other markets, especially europe, but I'm fairly limited by language on google searches. Would be cool if native speakers could have a look.
No specific sales numbers for The Netherlands unfortunately :( However, for those who are interested, here's the Dutch top 10 of sold games in 2015. Again, no specific numbers, but it shows how superior ps4 (games) sales are in comparison to their competitors. Also, FIFA 16 on PS3 and Xbox 360 sell extremely well.

1. FIFA 16 - PS4
2. Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3 - Nuketown Edition - PS4
3. Grand Theft Auto V (GTA 5) - PS4
4. FIFA 16 - PS3
5. De Sims 4 - PC + MAC
6. Fallout 4 - PS4
7. Grand Theft Auto V (GTA 5) - PC
8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Premium Edition - PS4
9. Assassins Creed: Syndicate - PS4
10. FIFA 16 - Xbox 360

Source: https://www.bright.nl/nieuws/bestverkochte-games-van-2015-pijnlijk-voor-microsoft

Raist

Banned
I actually think the US gap grew in the last few months. IIRC the gap was under 1 million before the end of 2015. 800,000+ maybe?

It started 2015 at 400-500k. It's now at 1.3M.

No specific sales numbers for The Netherlands unfortunately :( However, for those who are interested, here's the Dutch top 10 of sold games in 2015. Again, no specific numbers, but it shows how superior ps4 (games) sales are in comparison to their competitors. Also, FIFA 16 on PS3 and Xbox 360 sell extremely well.

1. FIFA 16 - PS4
2. Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3 - Nuketown Edition - PS4
3. Grand Theft Auto V (GTA 5) - PS4
4. FIFA 16 - PS3
5. De Sims 4 - PC + MAC
6. Fallout 4 - PS4
7. Grand Theft Auto V (GTA 5) - PC
8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Premium Edition - PS4
9. Assassins Creed: Syndicate - PS4
10. FIFA 16 - Xbox 360

Source: https://www.bright.nl/nieuws/bestverkochte-games-van-2015-pijnlijk-voor-microsoft

I don't think you've looked hard enough. Get back to working on that. :p

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Huh - I didn't realize that PS4 and XBO were so close in the U.S.
Well the US is Xbox land. Though the PlayStation is a global brand and always has been, the US is loyal to Xbox. I never really see people with PlayStation at school or talking about it. Every time I ask someone at school what console do they play it's always Xbox. I personally only know about 8 people including myself who plays on PlayStation. I know I don't know the whole country, but every gamer I meet is always an Xbox player so I never really have people to play with because I'm a PlayStation guy.

With This logic Wii U is competitive in Japan with PS4, and outside US / UK is over XB1...

Let's be seeius please, no matter if is selling more than the 360 since this is not the comparation, XB1 is not competitive in a Worldwide contest, if we include XB1 will can easy add Wii U.

err, japan for console gaming is dead. 360, ps3 and wii sold a combined of 120 million in us alone vs 22 million in japan. yes xbone is getting destroyed by ps4, but it will still do over 40-50 million units, while the wiiu will end with 15 million, and is at the end of it's life cycle. honestly it's not really worth discussing wiiu sales, we all know by now what it's gonna sell before being replaced.

Occam

In short:
worldwidesalesps4xbond7r54.png

Weasley

It started 2015 at 400-500k. It's now at 1.3M.

I don't think you've looked hard enough. Get back to working on that. :p

Checked with a few friends of mine who work for different gaming outlets, seems that the lack of sales numbers have been a hassle here for years now.

Well the US is Xbox land. Though the PlayStation is a global brand and always has been, the US is loyal to Xbox. I never really see people with PlayStation at school or talking about it. Every time I ask someone at school what console do they play it's always Xbox. I personally only know about 8 people including myself who plays on PlayStation. I know I don't know the whole country, but every gamer I meet is always an Xbox player so I never really have people to play with because I'm a PlayStation guy.
Funny, a few people I know who were Xbros switched to PS4 after the COD deal was announced.

ps3ud0

I didn't realise the UK was an exporter for Wii U and XO, assumed it was generally Germany or France. Wonder what other EU countries use UK for their console imports.

ps3ud0 8)

Raist

Banned
Wait, really? Wow, why wouldn't they include them? Both are a lot more than that then (XB1 probably not as much, but PS4 would be).

I'm guessing that they had preliminary numbers and that the last couple of weeks needed to be checked or something.

It's not much, but the XB1 is at least 66k for the first 3 days. http://www.thetechgame.com/News/sid...-australian-sales-record-report/start=20.html

Yeah, I'm a bit reluctant to put figures that are apart by about a year. It's misleading.

i don't think the us was ever xbox land, its just xbox 360 was the better gaming hardware, better controller, same third party support, at a much cheaper price, not to mention microsoft had the more appealing exclusives like halo, and gears of war. sony just made to many mistakes with ps3.

I didn't realise the UK was an exporter for Wii U and XO, assumed it was generally Germany or France. Wonder what other EU countries use UK for their console imports.

ps3ud0 8)

It works both ways, a number of hotukdeals.com deals are from Amazon.fr and Amazon.de

dead monkey uk 8)

Raist

Banned
So around the third of ps4 sales is from historically smaller regions in terms of console sales? That's pretty cool.

Probably significantly less than a third. Several historically "large" (all things considered) aren't up to date and Canada is missing.

ps3ud0

It works both ways, a number of hotukdeals.com deals are from Amazon.fr and Amazon.de

dead monkey uk 8)
Not really - Croatia has no official distributor for Wii U or XO so has to import, that's nothing like the same as individuals getting cheap deals from other countries.

ps3ud0 8)

Welfare

Yeah, I'm a bit reluctant to put figures that are apart by about a year. It's misleading.

Oh the PS4 number is for 2014. Alright, yeah, make more sense.

WooHoo another comparison thread! Just what this site needs.
It's actually really useful to have a place that has the most recent sales numbers for countries. If a fanboy wants to make this a comparison thread, that's on them.

Lexxism

Poor Canada. Always not getting any numbers from it. I'm really curious on how the current gen is doing over here.

Oh the PS4 number is for 2014. Alright, yeah, make more sense.

It's actually really useful to have a place that has the most recent sales numbers for countries. If a fanboy wants to make this a comparison thread, that's on them.

This site is full of Sony fanboys. It's the whole reason why so many of these get started up. It's a tool to brag about the PS4

Raist

Banned
Poor Canada. Always not getting any numbers from it. I'm really curious on how the current gen is doing over here.

The only thing I've ever read is that PS4+XB1 sales were over double PS3+360 launches aligned. I think sometime in 2014. Tried asking for data to Mulcair but he never obliged :(

Hmm interesting to get some sales data from smaller countries.

This still puts me in doubt as to the validity of 20m+ XB1's sold, as this data shows how the console is flat lining globally.

WooHoo another comparison thread! Just what this site needs.

Errrm this is a sales thread my friend.

Where we discuss and compare console sales so I don't know what you're expecting when looking at it.

This site is full of Sony fanboys. It's the whole reason why so many of these get started up. It's a tool to brag about the PS4

Oh nvm, I can already tell what kind of poster you are lol.

Welfare

Good luck with that attitude. This site is full of a large amount of fans from all camps. This thread isn't for the warmongers.

Top Bottom