• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[PS4Daily RUMOR] ps4 developers will have access to 7GB of GDDR5 heaven

DieH@rd

Banned
Well, the rumoured 0.5 GB RAM allocated to the OS would have made the OS more clunky and slow. If anything, this should be helpful for the OS performance since it has more resources to work with.

what.gif

Amount of ram =|= speed of the OS. You can create fast and very useful OS even if you have very little ram, and you can do it even if the ram is slow.
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6297/membandwidth_575px.png

[Just dont ask Ninendo to create it :D]

coldfoot

Banned
It's very likely that PS4 has more than 8GB memory, due to having a low power mode with a separate ARM SOC in the southbridge. That chip most likely has a small amount of (128-256MB) DDR stacked so that the power hungry GDDR5 isn't used in standby mode.

DieH@rd

Banned
It's very likely that PS4 has more than 8GB memory, due to having a low power mode with a separate ARM SOC in the southbridge. That chip most likely has a small amount of (128-256MB) DDR stacked so that the power hungry GDDR5 isn't used in standby mode.

Standby ARM CPU does not need access to large memory pool, it can work just fine with small integrated amount of SRAM. If its a AMD ARM TrustZone, then it CANT access anything but SRAM and flash.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1723740&postcount=1163
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1723971&postcount=1175

Who knows what will they use...

i-Lo

You don't have to take my word for it, you can read this fantastic thread on Beyond3D instead!
Everyone who wants to understand the significance of memory amounts and bandwidth in consoles should.

I should inform you that I did not mean any offence. It's rather an incredulous task to ask someone to believe that potentially 2GB overhead does not produce any significant advantage rendering it cost-ineffective.

Now, given that you've provided that link, I shall peruse those long posts to augment my existing understanding. Thank you.

what.gif

Amount of ram =|= speed of the OS. You can create fast and very useful OS even if you have very little ram, and you can do it even if the ram is slow.
http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6297/membandwidth_575px.png

[Just dont ask Ninendo to create it :D]

in ps3 it seems to be a problem. XMB can work ingame, but needs more time as it probably tries to reallocate whatever remains free.

Also, does this 1gb include the screengrabbing?

you really think only 252MB of the PS3 ram could be used for graphics?

You really think that, having less than 160MB of free usable main memory, it would be a good idea to steal more main memory for other purposes?

You really think it's a good idea to page to system memory instead of local memory for a GPU performance wise? Especially in PS3, where that tiny BUS is a huge bottleneck.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they're making a multiplatform game, they'll need to create assets and levels that 5gb of DDR3 can accommodate. I think the PS4's other advantages will lead to games looking better on it since it'll be pretty easy to up the quality with similar architectures but a lot of the advantages of the RAM won't be able to be explored in multiplatform development.

I also want to chime in that I don't think Durango's OS will be more than 2gb, if that.

What is the Surface footprint?

Arredondo at the start. But PCs will already be more powerful and if PS4 gets any kind of decent lead in market share, there could be a move towards leading on PC/PS4 and letting the Durango version struggle with framerate etc

dEvAnGeL

Arredondo at the start. But PCs will already be more powerful and if PS4 gets any kind of decent lead in market share, there could be a move towards leading on PC/PS4 and letting the Durango version struggle with framerate etc
i dont see that happening considering western developers are pretty much whats moving the industry at the moment, they will support microfost regardless of the console specs

PetrCobra

More than fucking enough. Hell, even if it was much less it would still be pretty good. PS4 owners are in for some god stuff. I'm not gonna be one of them but I feel good for them.

Dlacy13g

How does the the last 15 min of game play being recorded factor into this? I would think that would need a chunk of RAM given its a constant recording from what they indicated at the reveal.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
How does the the last 15 min of game play being recorded factor into this? I would think that would need a chunk of RAM given its a constant recording from what they indicated at the reveal.

Well maybe they can store it directly on the HDD.
They have a dedicated chip for encoding, right? So filesize shouldn't be a problem.

synce

If true I wonder what this means for multiplatform games. Wasn't it stated somewhere the 720 needs several GB's for the OS? Looks like an interesting role reversal for next-gen

This question was discussed already in pretty good depth already in this thread, two pages back.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=53568273

When in doubt, try reading the thread.

The only addition to this I'd make is to keep own the possibility another poster suggested that the "dedicated hardware" Cerny talked about could be a transistor group on the low-power "secondary chip" (which in the PS4 also acts as the Southbridge) itself rather than a separate chip. We don't know that for sure, but I don't want to dismiss it.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

My HD DVR has only 128MB RAM and stores the last 2 hours of Live TV in Full HD without problem, even if it's recording another channel via it's Dual Tuner, I doubt 15 mins on the PS4 will use even that much so probably not much of a factor at all.

Quasar

One thing I wonder. Would non game apps (like say a browser) be stuck with this ram limit or would apps (game and non game) be the same and be using the non os pool?

But... If this is the case, why won't they let me record like a full 2 hours session?
Maybe they'll raise the limit someday.

Probably because they don't want hundreds of thousands of boring ass, way too long videos clogging their hosting partner's servers.

You can live stream as long as you want.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
But... If this is the case, why won't they let me record like a full 2 hours session?

If it's encoded at full HD resolution then the amount of disk space it will use won't be as trivial as the amount of memory used during the encode. I'd guess they wouldn't really want to use up too much local storage on this feature.

15 minutes of 1080p @ 30fps = 10.85GB vs 2 hours = 86.8 GB

Even at 720p it would take up a fair amount of disk space:

15 minutes of 720p @ 30fps = 6.49GB vs 2 hours = 51.95GB

(Assuming they use H.264 for encoding)

coldfoot

Banned

That's not how much space h264 takes you're off by a factor of 10.

The size depends on the settings you use with your h.264 encoder. You can have settings which give you big files and very high quality and settings which give you smaller files with ok or bad quality. All at the same resolution. Youtube videos for example are mostly encoded with low settings and therefore only a few MB big, even at 1080p.

DieH@rd

Banned
If it's encoded at full HD resolution then the amount of disk space it will use won't be as trivial as the amount of memory used during the encode. I'd guess they wouldn't really want to use up too much local storage on this feature.

^those sizes looks like some raw video files. :D 11gigs for 15 minutes? Thats ~100 mbits, 3 times larger than bluray movie bitrates. :D

15 minutes x 8mbits [1MB/sec] = 900MB [and good 8mbit encode can give great image]. Lets say keep 1-2 minute in ram just to be quickly accessible if you want to eddit something recently played, rest offload to HDD.

I really doubt they will go above that. Maybe up to 12mbits. Uploading live gameplay to friends will most probably be waaaay below that [2-4mbits, vast majority of the world has crappy upload speeds], and Vita streaming will most probably be 720p with 4-6mbits.

Osiris

^those sizes looks like some raw video files. :D 10gigs for 15 minutes? Thats ~100 mbits, 3 times larger than bluray movie bitrates. :D

15 minutes x 8mbits [1MB/sec] = 900MB [and good 8mbit encode can give great image]. Lets say keep 1-2 minute in ram just to be quickly accessible if you want to eddit something recently played, rest offload to HDD.

I really doubt they will go above that. Maybe up to 12mbits. Uploading live gameplay to friends will most probably be waaaay below that [2-4mbits, vast majority of the world has crappy upload speeds], and Vita streaming will most probably be 720p with 4-6mbits.

Oops, you're right, I had my calc app set to Raw mode, well spotted :D

(Hey, it's late here, my bad! :p)

RiverBed

Banned

I don't know how you did your calculations, but I'll just point out the size of a 1080p full length movie is around 15GB or so (depending on length). Avatar is the biggest movie size I've seen and it is 18GB. Some I found are 12GB. I don't know if that will directly translate to PS4 recording, but I don't see them going over the size of HD movies.

Alucrid

Banned
I don't know how you did your calculations, but I'll just point out the size of a 1080p full length movie is around 15GB or so (depending on length). Avatar is the biggest movie size I've seen and it is 18GB. Some I found are 12GB. I don't know if that will directly translate to PS4 recording, but I don't see them going over the size of HD movies.

Huh? I've ripped them straight to my hdd and some movies are definitely larger than that.

DieH@rd

Banned

When all bonuses and non-english languages are stripped, Avatar [extended edition] is 35GB on bluray - 24mbits only for video, another ~4 for audio. That's only video stream and one audio stream [english 7.1].

This is what can be done with ~6.5mbits [select 1080p]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh29_SERH0Y

RiverBed

Banned
When all bonuses and non-english languages are stripped, Avatar is 35GB on bluray - extended edition, 24mbits only for video, another ~4 for audio. That's only video stream and one audio stream [english 7.1].

This is what can be done in ~6.5mbits [select 1080p]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh29_SERH0Y

I'm just counting the movie itself and not the the extra and repeated content that is a full DVD rip. Also, it is obvious that a game session recording will be less than that of a movie's (audio won't take up that much, for one). In any case, even by your standards, the required space is still less than half of 86GB three posts up- which is the point.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I don't think they've given a limit for recording. What they have said is at any point in time you can press the Share button to bring up a menu that will show you the last 15 minutes. There's no reason they can't also have a record now button appear in the share menu that begins a recording session that can go longer than the 15 minute buffer.

Think of it like a DVR. You can rewind live TV, but there's a limit to the buffer and eventually you'll hit it. If you hit record on the other hand you're not limited by the live TV buffer and can rewind past it if you're recording a long show.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm just counting the movie itself and not the the extra and repeated content that is a full DVD rip.

There is no extras in this Avatar footage, and no "repeated content". That's one 35.2GB MKV file with one video stream, one audio stream and dozen of subtitle files. Straight remux directly from the bluray.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The point was (regardless of the size discussion), that DVRs manage recording and playback of multiple HD streams with low power CPU and limited memory, because it simply isn't a CPU/memory intensive exercise, its just a file IO one.

So being able to record the last 15 minutes doesn't need tons of memory. The actual amount chosen (15 mins) is probably
because its designed to capture reactions and spur of the moment things that just happened.

The allocation needs to accomodate Core Apps as well.
*** In-game Browser, DVR, Social Apps all come to mind
Add Skype, RVU/DLNA and more.

Standby ARM CPU does not need access to large memory pool, it can work just fine with small integrated amount of SRAM. If its a AMD ARM TrustZone, then it CANT access anything but SRAM and flash.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1723740&postcount=1163
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1723971&postcount=1175

Who knows what will they use...

Lots of BY3D posts are blowing smoke. For instance:
Exophase said:
Running the OS on a separate chip with a separate architecture and everything sounds like a bad idea and not likely. You need low latency and low overhead access access to OS functions. Having it control anything graphical is especially weird given all the graphics capabilities are on the other chip.
According to H. Goto the HDMI port is in the second custom chip. This makes sense as the Second custom chip as Southbridge is always on and HDMI CEC functionality (expanded in next generation) is one of the things that has to be on all the time.

Also the second quote from Patsu is misleading. The ARM trustzone CPU boots from Flash and uses SRAM but it sets up secure regions in DDR memory that it manages and the trustzone processor can run code in the secure memory or open world memory. It also manages IO and there are several schemes for implementing DRM via all ARM code in ARM IP to using ARM trustzone to set up root of trust X86 virtual DRM that uses ARM DRM tools but lives in main RAM managed (to make sure the memory image is what is expected) by the ARM processor.

TrustZone_Controllers.png

I thought the 1 GB+ OS memory and 16 Gb Flash are in the Second Custom chip and totally separate from the 8 GB GDDR5 memory used for games.

Mieu

Could you enlighten me how important RAM is for games? If I'm not mistaken the PS3's RAM was the culprit in Skyrim's poor PS3 performance and lack of cross-game chat. Is that correct?

DieH@rd

Banned
Cerny confirmed in the interview with Gamasutra that background chip will have the access to GDDR5 and that they will not totally shut down that ram. Dream of totally separate OS memory pool is now dead.

Could you enlighten me how important RAM is for games? If I'm not mistaken the PS3's RAM was the culprit in Skyrim's poor PS3 performance and lack of cross-game chat. Is that correct?

No, all that problems were because of the software. Bethesda said that they approached PS3 hardware in wrong way, and Cross Game Chat was an OS feature that was never implemented because... of reasons unknown. Sony OS devs did not implement it.

Cerny confirmed in the interview with Gamasutra that background chip will have the access to GDDR5 and that they will not totally shut down that ram. Dream of totally separate OS memory pool is now dead.
I think you are misunderstanding what he means. Standby can not use GDDR5 memory. OS mode or what is called XMB mode in the PS3 has the GDDR5 memory in self refresh and GPU off. At 1 hour APD the GDDR5 memory and GPU/CPU registers are snapshot saved to either Flash or Hard Disk. In standby the HDMI port in the second chip needs the CEC line serviced, WiFi, Lan, AUX port the same and background download of Firmware needs Zlib accelerator and Trustzone for DRM; all with GDDR5 and APU off. This is what Cerny said in his first interview. Energy Star Auto Power Down requires the Games be run from the hard disk, this is why Durango Leaks have this, same is true for the PS4.

In standby mode the APU is totally off and the ARM SoC is in control. When you press the power button (PS button) the ARM Trustzone CPU manages/performs a root of trust boot of a X86 kernel in GDDR5 memory or (depending on last state) snapshot moves saved state info to X86 registers and GDDR 5 memory and passes control to a Jaguar CPU. From that point you can run ARM OS routines or toggle to game mode which uses the AMD GPU and GDDR5 memory with OS overlays.

Standby is so power limited (500mw) that likely LPDDR3 memory in the SoC is in self refresh and a small SRAM memory pool is used. Background download would start the LPDDR3 memory and the CPU would go into a higher power state to perform the download < 1-2 watts.

Cerny second interview:

Questions on the UI and OS were off the table.

There's also another custom chip to put the system in a low-power mode for background downloads. "To make it a more green hardware, which is very important for us, we have the ability to turn off the main power in the system [APU and GDDR5] and just have power to that secondary custom chip, system memory [in second custom chip], and I/O -- hard drive, Ethernet. So that allows background downloads to happen in a very low power scenario.

We also have the ability to shut off everything except power to the RAMs [GDDR5 in self refresh], which is how we leave your game session suspended [AMD GPU and APU MMU off one Jaguar CPU running from Trustzone managed LPDDR3 memory in the second custom chip] ."
Those two statements can be confused, they are separate thoughts on separate features. Think about what combining them means; everything is turned off even the Second chip and only the RAM is powered? Bold text inside [] is my addition.

Edit: Power for self refresh of GDDR5 memory which is built using DDR3 should be similar to DDR3. That's about 8-50mw of the 500mw EU Standby power. So Second Chip as southbridge AOAC and GDDR5 in self refresh is possible. Memory in Self Refresh can not be used, as soon as a clock is active connected to that memory it's using more than 500mw..up to 8 watts depending on clock and how much data is being moved. There has to be a second LP memory pool used by the second chip.

Top Bottom