• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

OsirisBlack

Banned
Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

Also there was talk of some sort of VR lounge for the media player app which is supposed to be getting a substantial upgrade.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."
We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."

For the PSVR

Eve Valkyrie
Robinson
GT Sport

For the PS4K

Deep Down (Thought this was dead)
GOW4 (This was the exact abbreviation on the sheet I can only assume its god of war 4)

There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out to me.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll see if I can get any more information.

Edited to add:

I got a bit more information today but I am trying to find out who all knows about it before posting.

Also the word "Sacrifices" is being blown out of proportion. There are sacrifices made when making a console version of a game as compared to a PC game or when making an XB1 game as compared to a PS4 game. Don't expect PS4 games to all of a sudden become shit just expect them to run better on PS4K. I would expect a game that is really pushing the graphics envelope to run at 1080p 60fps on PS4K while the same game might run at 900p 60/30fps on PS4. Just the way I took it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster.

This seems like it absolutely would divide the userbase.

You cannot honestly tell me devs would only use this for better FPS. Not a chance.

LiK

My-reaction-watching-my-hot-neighbour-run-naked-every-morning-when-she-gets-ready-Stephen-Colbert-creepy-smile.gif

This is really sounding like a PS5 with those massive hardware upgrades.

PS4 owners are gonna be pissed. Glad I waited to buy mine!

So I'm screwed then if I have a regular PS4 since games will be made for PS4K and when played on a PS4 they will take a big hit?

Thanks for posting!

Guess getting that PS4 for $300 wasn't the best purchase decision I made recently. Then again, who knows what $400-$500 USD will be in CAD when this launches.

At least I got the matte model!

DryvBy

This will end the "PC is more expensive" argument for sure.

I'm done with consoles if this is all true.

It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

Saving grace. So long as all future PS4K games have a 'PS4-mode' I see no problem. I bought probably three 360s over the years. I wish the latter ones had upgraded specs allowing better performance.

Slixshot

Banned
Fuck.

Why not just call it PS5 and have it backwards compatible with PS4? That would make me feel better about owning two OG PS4s.

Neoxon

Sounds interesting. If I have enough money after the NX device(s), I may upgrade. I do hope that a trade-in program for existing PS4 owners becomes available.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sounds like complete and utter nonsense, but you seem to have passed the sniff
Bish
test once.

As long as my PS4 remains supported, i'm okay with this. Might sell it for an upgrade eventually.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm genuinely surprised that it sounds like there will be significant differences between playing games on both systems. I figured it would just be whatever they do with 4k output.

Well then.

$500 is gonna be disappointing if true, even with the increased power. VR takes priority if this thing comes out this year (which would be stupid, IMO).

The "considerable sacrifices made to performance" is exactly what I feared and what I declared loudly in the other threads. I bought a PS4 last summer. I will be frustrated if my future library is already getting cut short.

Top Bottom