• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out to me.
Was TLG one of these games? Only then I'd be interested in PS4K.

Dude, no. GOW4K isn't going to happen. BF4 still doesn't even run 4K60fps on PCs with a killer rig. Just don't set yourself up.
It's right in the OP!

Game should be set in South America with a sacrifice theme, to include the fact that the PS4 version has multiple sacrifices.

sense

i hope they go 499 and have the better cpu as well and make this upgrade meaningful so i feel a little bit better for buying into it lol. this and psvr and i am done for holiday shopping

c0de

“ It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.“

Well, there it is. People will of course not like it.
So basically consoles are PC now. The well known generations are most likely gone.

Not liking the sound of this. The fact that past games won't receive any enhancements without extensive patchwork sounds like a real bummer.

rdytoroll

It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer.

This is exactly what I feared. The PS4 will be left behind in the dust

RG0BS1U.gif

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."
We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."
Man. None of this sounds good.

Footos22

Yeah. I'm done with console gaming if this is true. If it's that big a difference for a mid gen revision may as well just call it ps5.

I'll just rejoin the pc masterrace I suppose. Its been a long time.

Wiped89

If all that is true, bring it on. I want a 4K Bluray player anyway to go with my 4KTV.

People should not act like this is an out and out replacement. I'm sure Sony will continue to sell the standard PS4 right up to the PS5's release and beyond.

This is simply a 'pro edition' for people who want an upgraded graphics option.

Companies are finally waking up to the fact that some customers will pay for a premium model, without affecting those who are happy with the standard one. Look at iPhone 6 Plus, iPad Pro, Xbox One Elite. They haven't replaced the basic models, they are just a more high end variation.

I'd love a properly 4K PS4. I'm sure GAME will do a trade-in in the UK and it'll help me because I'd never have bought a £600 PS4 two years ago, but would buy a £350 PS4 and trade it in against another £400 PS4 two years later.

galvatron

TIL that there is such a thing as a Bish checked status instead of seeing OP immediately banned when starting a leak thread. Well done!

paulogy

Not going to lie. The news of a new PS4 with enhanced capabilities for 4K media (not games) made sense to me.

This? Just feels like a gut punch.

I bought my PS4 just 4 months ago

_woLf

also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

This would be a monumental mistake on Sony's part. There absolutely has to be some sort of upgrade option for current owners, otherwise this is effectively the Playstation 5.

At some point developers will shift to developing only for the newer specs, which will completely divide the market.

Stitch

Gold Member
Without the tag I wouldn't believe one single bit from OP.

on the other hand we're close to April Fools Day.. mh...

Vlodril

This seems to be more and more like a reality. Which means i am done with console gaming. I have a gaming pc and although i would be missing on some games by not getting a playstation console (which is what i always had) i see no reason of upgrading a second pc in parallel to my main one for a few more games. My backlog is huge as it is.

I am probably a minority though.

johnny956

So I'm screwed then if I have a regular PS4 since games will be made for PS4K and when played on a PS4 they will take a big hit?

Yup and even when a game runs terribly on the original PS4, Sony will still let the game be released and we get crappy releases. I'll be sitting out new releases after this comes out to see how games run on the original PS4

Timeaisis

With PS5 in the works? This is a hard pass from me. 1080p to 4K isn't a huge enough jump. Unless there are crazy PS4K exclusives. Like, really crazy.

This is really sounding like a PS5 with those massive hardware upgrades.

PS4 owners are gonna be pissed. Glad I waited to buy mine!
I just got one 4 months ago so yeah im kinda pissed.
Dumb move by Sony imo
Not going to lie. The news of a new PS4 with enhanced capabilities for 4K media (not games) made sense to me.

This? Just feels like a gut punch.

I bought my PS4 just 4 months ago
Welcome to the club.

Top Bottom