• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

danowat

Banned
It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

You know what? Fuck that shit.

We already struggle with performance in most games, now the PS4 is going to suffer more, it's basically obsolete in terms of new games now then.

What's to stop them doing it again in another couple of years?.

trebbble

Not sure how I feel about this... certainly the shortest generation that I can remember in consoles, as this 'iteration' seemingly has a greater jump than PS3-PS4,

213372bu

Banned
Twice as powerful GPU for $400 and maybe a better CPU for ~$500

And on top of that existing games won't be able to "tap in"a 2x more powerful GPU unless they make a patch for it, which is "doubtful"
1445304780738.png

Even though you've been Bish checked I can't help but ignore the red sirens in my face.

foxbeldin

Don't fucking do this Sony. This is bullshit. Sacrifices to the performance ? Fuck you. This is MS may 2013 levels of stupidity.

NateDrake

This generation will be 3+ years old by the time this thing launches.

And if I wait 2-3yrs after PS4k the PS5 will be released and then PS8k a couple of years later. No reason to ever buy a console early for the handful of quality exclusives that release. If I didn't buy a PS4 at launch, aside from Bloodborne and soon Uncharted 4, I would have missed out on what great exclusive?

Tambini

At first I was like damn son then I remember I don't have a 4k TV anyway. Overall I still don't like this idea though

Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."

For the PSVR

Eve Valkyrie
Robinson
GT Sport

For the PS4K

Deep Down (Thought this was dead)
GOW4 (This was the exact abbreviation on the sheet I can only assume its god of war 4)

There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out to me.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll see if I can get any more information.
Thanks for getting information Osiris. I quoted the parts that will obviously have a negative impact with consumers. Asking for $500 without an upgrade plan seems to be the wrong way to get people to adopt it.

Secondly, every previous Gaf thread seem to really cling to the idea that PS4K would severely hamper the original PS4 which seems to be the case if devs are already taking advantage of it.

Third, I wonder what kind of CPU they are looking into and how this will be marketed to consumers.

This E3 will be one to remember.

Sacrificing to performance or fidelity?

The latter is fine, the former is shite. And since Devi are free to make the tradeoff, odds are it'll be the latter.

Multiplats already have higher fidelity settings on PC. If the ps4 versions are the same games but played on medium and ps4k are played on high (or any combination of resolution/fidelity-upgrades), there is no issue here.

"considerable sacrifices made to performance"

BS

They would not throw 40 millions of players under the bus.

Arrogance does crazy things to companies. I mean, look at PS3 launch, or the Wii U. I always give companies the benefit of the doubt, but you really can never rule anything out.

Bl@de

Oh boy. This thread will be fun. So around 3,8 Tflops which is around the power of a GTX 970 when it comes to TFLOPS (of course this is not all that's important). Damn. Hope they also include a CPU upgrade.

Can I get clarification on whats the difference between bish checked and bish verified? What are the different Bish levels? Is this like some Pre-Approved vs Pre-screened stuff?

Acerac

Banned
I wonder how many devs will work to increase performance for past titles.

Interesting news at any rate.

Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

Also there was talk of some sort of VR lounge for the media player app which is supposed to be getting a substantial upgrade.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."
We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."

For the PSVR

Eve Valkyrie
Robinson
GT Sport

For the PS4K

Deep Down (Thought this was dead)
GOW4 (This was the exact abbreviation on the sheet I can only assume its god of war 4)

There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out to me.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll see if I can get any more information.

If they market this as a revision to the PS4 and not simply the PS5 and they don't have an upgrade program or subsidize retailer upgrade programs then they can fuck right off.

oRuin

Cool will defo upgrade. Current ps4 can go in another room. Would love a Bloodborne patch to increase performance!

Yup and even when a game runs terribly on the original PS4, Sony will still let the game be released and we get crappy releases. I'll be sitting out new releases after this comes out to see how games run on the original PS4
Wtf man. How can anybody support this practice? Sony is getting damn greedy.

So pretty much this gen was like 3 years long. Might as well call it the PS5.

Top Bottom