• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amatsu

Neo Member
Ok so here's the deal for me.... I'm working a bunch this weekend to try to get atleast the middle of next week free. I can access the internet from work, mostly on my phone. But only when things are calm (I work with autistic adults... so when they go to sleep it's totally fine for me to go online and just keep an ear out for them, assuming im done with all my paperwork, etc). Anyway, that's tmi... the main point is i'm kinda busy this weekend but not entirely.

So I guess I will open the floodgates now and will probably take all weekend to sift through it and decide who is doing what. So I wouldn't expect a response until Sunday at the earliest. Maybe monday during the day.

What we need is people willing to contact websites and let them know they we are planning on a second push on Wednesday at a time we will figure out today or tomorrow. You will need to go to the website to find the contact email/page.... but from there it's easy. Basically you will send an email like (let's pretend it's kotaku).

Hi Kotaku!

This is (your name) from the #PS4NoDRM campaign and we are ramping up for a second and final push on Wednesday, June 5th starting at __ GMT (and then maybe list the time for them if you know the country of the site's origin).

The movement so far has over 175+ media mentions in 20 different languages which has been incredibly helpful to us. We are grateful for the articles you did specifically and were hoping you could help us shine a light on this one final time.

If you have any further questions check out (OP Link) and (site link) or email me at (your email). And if you decide not to cover it again we still are really appreciative of the support you've given us so far.

Thanks,

Yourname

And then if they have questions for you that you know the answer to, answer them. If you don't refer them to me or baller (and maybe others, still hashing that out). I will give you our email addresses when letting you know which sites you will be responsible for.

If a ton of people decide to volunteer it will be really quick for everyone. Each site will take like 5 minutes tops... so if we can get it down to like 5 or less sites per person we're asking for less than a half hour of your time. We will start with the sites that have already covered it and if we have the manpower we will then move onto sites that haven't.

If you're lurking and would like to help, message me on twitter. If you're on the forum, PM me.

As each new page is created in this thread if i'm not around.... if someone could quote this just to get it on the current page I would be most appreciative.

Amatsu

Neo Member
So I've been asked to respin the open letter I wrote for PlayStation, to something targeting Xbox, for another site that will accompany the June 5th push.

Here is a first draft that I would welcome feedback on:

It's not necessarily final. Corrections or suggestions welcome. Are the points reasonable? Is there anything I'm missing that should be said? Is there anything that should be removed?

Sounds good. Points are 100% reasonable, only thing I might change is the word work to functions/operates in "...the way physical game media work and works..." since work and works are so close together but, that's tiny. It's just a tiny lil' thing.

Otherwise, awesome :)

Kane1345

I have no idea!

Might be a good idea to start spread it tomorrow/Monday so people have plenty of notice of what's happening. Thought an eye-catching graphic would be a good idea as it helps information sink in easier :p

Well that image going around twitter about disconnecting our consoles seemed to garner a lot of attention. A graphic detailing the second push would definitely help imo

QP3

Well that image going around twitter about disconnecting our consoles seemed to garner a lot of attention. A graphic detailing the second push would definitely help imo

I think I missed this graphic. Any chance you could bring it over here to see/distribute?

Kane1345

I think I missed this graphic. Any chance you could bring it over here to see/distribute?

401011_10151466389762898_1631913366_n.jpg

I posted it a couple of pages back. Seemed way too late imo, if they wanted to do this they should have done it before E3. Plus spelling "restrictions" wrong probably doesn't help :p

QP3

I posted it a couple of pages back. Seemed way too late imo, if they wanted to do this they should have done it before E3. Plus spelling "restrictions" wrong probably doesn't help :p

Ha, well it is the effort and awareness that counts I suppose. Thanks, will try getting this out as well in the mean time!

Carl

Yeah exactly. Someone with artistic skills should try and knock something up so we can start spreading it :)

Was there going to be a video as well to go with the campaign?

Well I suggested it a few days ago, I think it would be a good idea and it's something that might spread and get shared around quite a bit. A lot of people are more inclined to watch a 30 second youtube vid than read a page of text.

Why has this thread become suddenly so... negative? It is clear that SONY are listening to the campaign. Why all this pessimistic posts now?

Yep. I've seen plenty of accusations flying around since that post.

I guess people are just being more vocal about their suspicions anyway, it's just odd that if you now disagree with someone or see the positive in something someone doesn't, you run the risk of being labelled a marketing shill.

MogCakes

Ok, hope they still do at the E3 conference in 10 days

And I hope you're watching in 10 days. If this campaign isn't successful then the fault is on Sony/MS, not us. If it is successful, you and every dissenter out there will eat crow. Deal? Deal. Either way, we're not the ones that will be shamed - we actually did something.

yeah not a fan of all the negative energy lately.

Keep it positive guys.

Negativity only makes bad things happen

The negativity is from people who I haven't seen post in this thread before.

Update from my end...

I'm heading to work in a few hours and will be there for 17 hours. Once the guys I take care of go to sleep I can hop on here with my phone (or the terrible computer in the office) but for the most part I won't be doing much more than posting.

Tomorrow i'm off completely and will sit down and split up the journalistic duties among the people who have volunteered and contact them individually with instructions.

If anyone else would like to volunteer... the more the merrier... the more people we have the less each individual person has to do! Though even now it's not looking like a big investment of time for anyone. It should be mostly easy stuff.

But if you're interested, PM me. Or if you lurk, tweet at me. I won't be responding until tomorrow though so don't get mad when i don't respond tonight :)

Yoshida reiterating that the system doesn't require online publically is very good (though tbh i already knew that, and the DRM for used games is RFID-based and offline). I also think that Yoshida making the joke about DRM for the game was good news... he isn't dumb enough to troll his fans that hard if he has bad news. But even still, one last push on wednesday obviously won't hurt so full steam ahead on that.

154 pages in and the profile banners still aren't in the OP. Come on !

I didn't know that anyone asked to put them there. If im missing stuff please let me know, because im 100% certain i'm missing things as im juggling this thread, PMs, twitter and emails. My brain is becoming mush.

Home stretch!

Edit: Im heading out for some exercise now.... post the banner image thing here and I'll add it to the OP in 30-45 mins when I get back

Will the June 5th push also include sending messages to third party publishers as well? It seems like they need to get the message loud and clear also.

Yoshida reiterating that the system doesn't require online publically is very good (though tbh i already knew that, and the DRM for used games is RFID-based and offline). I also think that Yoshida making the joke about DRM for the game was good news... he isn't dumb enough to troll his fans that hard if he has bad news. But even still, one last push on wednesday obviously won't hurt so full steam ahead on that.

So now that it is somehow confirmed that it all depends on 3rd parties, what are we going to do next ?!

I know there is a final push on Wednesday, but what's after ?!, to be honest I am happy that Sony isn't using any block systems, but I don't think we can persuade the 3rd parties.

What is RFID ?!, and how does it work ?!

So now that it is somehow confirmed that it all depends on 3rd parties, what are we going to do next ?!

I know there is a final push on Wednesday, but what's after ?!, to be honest I am happy that Sony isn't using any block systems, but I don't think we can persuade the 3rd parties.

What is RFID ?!, and how does it work ?!

It's not confirmed at all that it's up to third parties. Basically what Yoshida said has absolutely nothing to do with drm. I'm not sure why that thread took off and ran with it. Kotaku didn't report it like drm was dead. No one else is reporting it like drm is dead. The ability to make accounts has nothing to do with the drm system.

The drm system as i understand it basically is the equivalent of making a little digital mark on the disc letting other systems know that it's already tied to a system. THIS is what we are fighting against. People assumed the drm was online... But shu said in February that the system didn't have to ever go online so I didn't really hammer home the point that this is an offline drm. Though if you do go back through my posts from weeks ago I did mention that it's RFID-ish.

The wiki for rfid can explain the tech better than i can but basically it's short wave communication that will allow to them mark a disc as having been used.

It's not confirmed at all that it's up to third parties. Basically what Yoshida said has absolutely nothing to do with drm. I'm not sure why that thread took off and ran with it. Kotaku didn't report it like drm was dead. No one else is reporting it like drm is dead. The ability to make accounts has nothing to do with the drm system.

The drm system as i understand it basically is the equivalent of making a little digital mark on the disc letting other systems know that it's already tied to a system. THIS is what we are fighting against. People assumed the drm was online... But shu said in February that the system didn't have to ever go online so I didn't really hammer home the point that this is an offline drm. Though if you do go back through my posts from weeks ago I did mention that it's RFID-ish.

The wiki for rfid can explain the tech better than i can but basically it's short wave communication that will allow to them mark a disc as having been used.

See, that patent would work best if they allowed you to flip flop it. It would allow us to play games without the disc. I made a thread about this a week ago or so. Basically they could make it so the RFID tag activates if you choose to let the game be playable without the disc. So others cannot play it. But you can revert that by putting the game back into the system and undoing the process. This would work if they could make the RFID tag visible somehow so that others know if it has been tagged or not.

I didn't know that anyone asked to put them there. If im missing stuff please let me know, because im 100% certain i'm missing things as im juggling this thread, PMs, twitter and emails. My brain is becoming mush.

Home stretch!

Edit: Im heading out for some exercise now.... post the banner image thing here and I'll add it to the OP in 30-45 mins when I get back

IFbP7SF.png

and

B0cKQif.png

Damn, you are absolutely right, I went back and re-read the article, and you are right.

it is not always online, but it is still pretty much DRM-ed when you explain it like that, I got confused there for a minute.

It seems the fight is still going on then.

MogCakes

Damn, you are absolutely right, I went back and re-read the article, and you are right.

it is not always online, but it is still pretty much DRM-ed when you explain it like that, I got confused there for a minute.

It seems the fight is still going on then.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings (E3).

Kane1345

Did someone call my name?

ah he arrives!

We were talking earlier about someone possibly using photoshop to make a graphic that we could tweet out explaining phase 2 since a graphic might be able to communicate it easier to some people. Unfortunately my photoshop skills are ass but your name came up as someone who has photoshop skills :D

Think you could knock something up that we could tweet out and circulate to people??

Kane1345

Ok so here's the deal for me.... I'm working a bunch this weekend to try to get atleast the middle of next week free. I can access the internet from work, mostly on my phone. But only when things are calm (I work with autistic adults... so when they go to sleep it's totally fine for me to go online and just keep an ear out for them, assuming im done with all my paperwork, etc). Anyway, that's tmi... the main point is i'm kinda busy this weekend but not entirely.

So I guess I will open the floodgates now and will probably take all weekend to sift through it and decide who is doing what. So I wouldn't expect a response until Sunday at the earliest. Maybe monday during the day.

What we need is people willing to contact websites and let them know they we are planning on a second push on Wednesday at a time we will figure out today or tomorrow. You will need to go to the website to find the contact email/page.... but from there it's easy. Basically you will send an email like (let's pretend it's kotaku).

Hi Kotaku!

This is (your name) from the #PS4NoDRM campaign and we are ramping up for a second and final push on Wednesday, June 5th starting at __ GMT (and then maybe list the time for them if you know the country of the site's origin).

The movement so far has over 175+ media mentions in 20 different languages which has been incredibly helpful to us. We are grateful for the articles you did specifically and were hoping you could help us shine a light on this one final time.

If you have any further questions check out (OP Link) and (site link) or email me at (your email). And if you decide not to cover it again we still are really appreciative of the support you've given us so far.

Thanks,

Yourname

And then if they have questions for you that you know the answer to, answer them. If you don't refer them to me or baller (and maybe others, still hashing that out). I will give you our email addresses when letting you know which sites you will be responsible for.

If a ton of people decide to volunteer it will be really quick for everyone. Each site will take like 5 minutes tops... so if we can get it down to like 5 or less sites per person we're asking for less than a half hour of your time. We will start with the sites that have already covered it and if we have the manpower we will then move onto sites that haven't.

If you're lurking and would like to help, message me on twitter. If you're on the forum, PM me.

As each new page is created in this thread if i'm not around.... if someone could quote this just to get it on the current page I would be most appreciative.

Amatsu

Neo Member
So I've been asked to respin the open letter I wrote for PlayStation, to something targeting Xbox, for another site that will accompany the June 5th push.

Here is a first draft that I would welcome feedback on:

It's not necessarily final. Corrections or suggestions welcome. Are the points reasonable? Is there anything I'm missing that should be said? Is there anything that should be removed?

Sure.

In terms if the actual text, what do you want it to say?

Maybe one like the ps controller with the blue and white recycle symbol in the center as before, only this time half ps controller half xbox controller with the blue and white arrows "splitting" them in half?

Then maybe a 2 in the center of the blue and white arrows, Phase 2 starts WED, JUNE 5TH written underneath, www.PS4noDRM.com XboxOneNoDRM.com underneath that, then #PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM underneath that? Maybe with NeoGAF thrown in there somewhere or the GAF symbol?

Does that sound too busy? I'm just kinda spit-balling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom