• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't sell it to Gamespot then. Use eBay. Use Amazon. Use your mom and pop store. Sell it directly to someone you know. Gamespot isn't the one trying to force a monopoly, here.

I completely agree. If only more people did this. I fully support private buying/selling used games. Wether they (GS) try to force it or not, they're pretty much the premiere game selling store.

Pennywise

thats not the same across all games though. if you're selling two games that released in the same month GS will not give you the same amount for both. They put value into the titles that they know sell more. So you'll get less for the less popular game anyways.

Then don't fucking go to GS.
There are plenty of ways to sell a used game without a reseller like GS.
Humans are lazy, that's one of the reasons GS is so damn popular.

But could we please shift this discussion into another topic ?
There are plenty of topics where you could speak about it without derailing this topic.

njean777

-cars deteriorate with use.
-the average movie makes majority of its money through theater sales. There isn't really a market for used tickets >_>
-books are usually made by a single author, in some cases a few more. They are not multi-million dollar projects. they also deteriorate with use.

really, cry you a river? thats what you got? I'm all for buying/selling used games, but I do not think Gamespot should get as much profit as they do for it. Thats the difference. If you sell privately a used game, you get all the money the buyer pays, and thats fine. But customers sell to gamespot at a rate that they are ripped off and Gamespot marks it up to make a huge profit.

Then it is the consumers ignorance getting the best of them, Gamestop can charge what they want. You cannot force them to give more money for games. IF the people want to trade into gamestop then let them.

Then don't fucking go to GS.
There are plenty of ways to sell a used game without a reseller like GS.
Humans are lazy, that's one of the reasons GS is so damn popular.

But could we please shift this discussion into another topic ?
There are plenty of topics where you could speak about it without derailing this topic.

Like I said, I agree with that. I don't go to GS. Calm down lol.

I completely agree. If only more people did this. I fully support private buying/selling used games. Wether they (GS) try to force it or not, they're pretty much the premiere game selling store.

If you assume gamers will do the economical thing and buy low, you also have to assume they sell high, right? So, to them, it's fair.

The thing about this used game drm is that isn't not going to eliminate it, it's going to create a system that gives the publishers money which means we will *have* to use gamestop. What we will lose is the ability to sell the games ourselves, person to person.

ReaperXL7

Alright, im off to bed at this point. I have been tweeting, emailing, getting in touch with consumer rights groups(trying anyway), everything that I can to help. I wont lie if this turns out to be all for nothing it will be massively disappointing, but it will finally give me an excuse to invest in a gaming rig. This would be the first Sony console I dont own, and the first generation ill skip consoles. I just hope Sony is really listening, because I want to support them but I wont if they wont support us.

If I was not all the way on the other side of the countrybI would be up for protesting at E3, though I dont know how many would bother with something like that.

baekshi

Banned
Somehow I doubt Nintendo will change their tune but I'm 90% sure the PS4 is region free anyway.

This. I just have to #dealwithit :(

I'll have to buy a japanese 3DS down the road. I know.

My twit username is same as on GAF so if anyone wants to follow me...I'll follow you.

abic

Banned
It's horse-shit, that's what it is.

Says who? Retailers merely facilitate it, but most people would prefer selling it privately. In that example, the only one who makes money is the original seller who had already paid you.

Jaffe's entire stance on this issue can be summed up as follows:

GameStop make tons of money from pre-owned games (what he means to say, presumably, is they make too much money). Why cant we developers get a piece of that pie (read: a second piece of the pie, after selling you the game new)?

His comments come off purely as greed.

It is greed, Jaffe has never been the smartest, just the loudest.

There is basically this deep conflict between a creator driven royalty based system and a consumer driven ownership system. The former has seen battles in patents, trademarks and efforts to extend them to perpetuity (see Disney Mickey Mouse). The latter is driven by a consumer's right to do anything with a product once purchased because it is his. These rights are continually being eroded as corps extend their influence.

Imagine IBM getting a slice of the royalty when you sell your used IBM laptop on Craigslist.
Imagine your grandfather having to pay Disney a fee as he passes down a rare Mickey toy to you.

People like Jaffe have big mouths but ultimately will not be willing to live down a world that they champion.

Then it is the consumers ignorance getting the best of them, Gamestop can charge what they want. You cannot force them to give more money for games. IF the people want to trade into gamestop then let them.

You'er right, it is gamer ignorance. They could buy games much cheaper elsewhere. But like I said, GS owns the game selling market.

If you assume gamers will do the economical thing and buy low, you also have to assume they sell high, right? So, to them, it's fair.

assume who sells high, GS or gamers?

The thing about this used game drm is that isn't not going to eliminate it, it's going to create a system that gives the publishers money which means we will *have* to use gamestop. What we will lose is the ability to sell the games ourselves, person to person.

yeah, I'm totally for the #PS4noDRM movement, don't get me wrong. I just think there's a middle ground that publishers can try for without affecting consumers negatively. I don't really think its comparable to other industries.

Pennywise

Kinda ironic that Publishers are saying GS is the devil and then they're good enough once they've got a solution to get a piece of the pie with the new system.

@bigboss370
I've read your comment once my posting was already done.
Sorry, but there are so many discussions regarding that topic, it kinda ruins the fun here.

Angry Fork

I wish this kind of internet determination could be applied to gathering support for a 3rd political party in the US =/ And not the damn libertarians.

This. I just have to #dealwithit :(

I'll have to buy a japanese 3DS down the road. I know.

My twit username is same as on GAF so if anyone wants to follow me...I'll follow you.

I followed you. I don't usually post much if at all, but I do go on from time to time to see what other people are saying.

assume who sells high, GS or gamers?

Gamers, since they still have a choice.

And for the end user all that means is that he's getting less money for his games, and used games that are even more expensive.

majorscud

Dylan Cuthbert responded:

Dylan Cuthbert ‏@dylancuthbert 2h
well I don't know about you but I'm pretty hyped up about the PS4.. it's been a long time since we had a new console and this one's a beast

‏@majorscud 2h
@dylancuthbert What is your tale on the whole restricting used and borrowed games debate? #Ps4nodrm #Ps4usedgames

Dylan Cuthbert ‏@dylancuthbert 2h
@majorscud heh, there's no way I'm even being drawn into that discussion

Dylan Cuthbert ‏@dylancuthbert 1h
@majorscud although I do like no region-locking.. I'm an international man of mystery, I need to be able to buy/play anywhere

‏@majorscud 15m
@dylancuthbert I agree. Region locking just plain stinks.

If publishers and console makers hate gamestop because of used sales they should stop selling their products in their stores. Fight them, not us.

If this goes through it will be MS+Sony+Publishers+gamestop all against us. How do they expect that to be a sustainable strategy? At some point you have to stop treating your customers like crooks or they are going to walk away.

If publishers and console makers hate gamestop because of used sales they should stop selling their products in their stores. Fight them, not us.

If this goes through it will be MS+Sony+Publishers+gamestop all against us. How do they expect that to be a sustainable strategy? At some point you have to stop treating your customers like crooks or they are going to walk away.

totally agreed.

Stillmatic

the problem is clothing stores don't sell second hand clothes. those are at separate stores.

picture this: a customer walks into Gamestop to buy a game. Sees a new one for $60, and a used one for $55. Economics says the consumer will pick the $55 one, even though its only $5 cheaper, because they know the quality is exactly the same (this would not apply to clothes since those deteriorate with wear). The difference is that from the $60 one the publisher/dev gets a cut, but they do not get it from the used copy at all, but Gamespot does.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. Instead of concentrating their efforts on taking away consumer rights, devs/publishers/console creators should be focusing on:

- Retailers getting charged a fee to resell a game.
- Middle man created to handle all fees from retailers to publishers/devs, who also get a cut for handling it all.

Which sounds like what MS are doing, but just taking it way too far. In the solution above there really is no need for the other nonsense with having to install the game, or regular online checking. The copy should be flagged when it's resold to retail where the middle man distributes the money from the sale. So for the consumer it should stay the same way it is currently. Consumers should have a choice to sell a game back to retail knowingly contributing to devs/publishers, or if they wish to do so, sell it privately without any fees going to pubs/devs.

Something is better than nothing. I'm sure a lot of people would rather choose to sell games back to retail knowing it's contributing to devs, rather than sell privately.

farisr

Ahhh, you're insane good sir!

I've got access to some industry monitoring tools which have access to the Twitter Firehose, so if you want stats I can just pull them out periodically without too much effort.

Currently I've got

13,964 total tweets for #ps4nodrm. 8311 of those are tweets and 5653 are retweets.
Impressions total 9,328,867.
#ps4usedgames is the most used hashtag within those tweets at 6,748.
3544 #ps4nodrm tweets mention @yosp

I've got bucketloads more data, so if you're curious for something else hit me up. :D

Good to know that I wasted a lot of time. LOL. Most of the people saying they were using tools were tools that were estimating rather than giving actual stuff. So I figured I'll do a manual one which would still be a lot more accurate than these estimates even though it'll have some retweets and what not included (since I'm not actually going through every single tweet).

Anyways, I supposed one update every 24 or 48 hours since this started would be good.

Yeah I see where you're coming from. Instead of concentrating their efforts on taking away consumer rights, devs/publishers/console creators should be focusing on:

- Retailers getting charged a fee to resell a game.
- Middle man created to handle all fees from retailers to publishers/devs, who also get a cut for handling it all.

Which sounds like what MS are doing, but just taking it way too far. In the solution above there really is no need for the other nonsense with having to install the game, or regular online checking. The copy should be flagged when it's resold to retail where the middle man distributes the money from the sale. So for the consumer it should stay the same way it is currently. Consumers should have a choice to sell a game back to retail knowingly contributing to devs/publishers, or if they wish to do so, sell it privately without any fees going to pubs/devs.

Something is better than nothing. I'm sure a lot of people would rather choose to sell games back to retail knowing it's contributing to devs, rather than sell privately.

I wouldn't, and I rarely resell. Again, how many times should I pay them for their work? Because retailers getting charged means retailers paying me less, and me losing money on the sale. Why should they be able to influence the second-hand price?

How about they budget their costs better, and don't hire the scriptwriter of Traffic to write a story about a mocapped, fully scanned Navy SEAL Team Six Dog?

I wouldn't, and I rarely resell. Again, how many times should I pay them for their work? Because retailers getting charged means retailers paying me less, and me losing money on the sale. Why should they be able to influence the second-hand price?

or selling (your used game) for more, which I would be fine with.

Hex

Banned
It's horse-shit, that's what it is.

Says who? Retailers merely facilitate it, but most people would prefer selling it privately. In that example, the only one who makes money is the original seller who had already paid you.

Jaffe's entire stance on this issue can be summed up as follows:

GameStop make tons of money from pre-owned games (what he means to say, presumably, is they make too much money). Why cant we developers get a piece of that pie (read: a second piece of the pie, after selling you the game new)?

His comments come off purely as greed.

I think his comments are being looked at from the wrong angle.
He is right, Gamestop does NOT deserve to make money and have an empire off of these people's work, this is damn truth. But while devs moan about them, publishers feed the monster with pre-order bonuses and exclusive dlc and other garbage.
Gamestop could rot for all I care and I wish that they would, but publishers helped make that monster and they continue to do so.
Let publishers do their own trade in service, then they can resell their own games, instead of taking rights offer more solutions.

Stillmatic

You'd have the option to resell privately.

Good to know that I wasted a lot of time. LOL. Most of the people saying they were using tools were tools that were estimating rather than giving actual stuff. So I figured I'll do a manual one which would still be a lot more accurate than these estimates even though it'll have some retweets and what not included (since I'm not actually going through every single tweet).

Anyways, I supposed one update every 24 or 48 hours since this started would be good.

Not a waste of time! You were pretty accurate with what you had. :D

Most of the sites people were using were likely free ones, which are a little crap since they aren't likely partnered with Twitter officially, and so using your method would be better than using any of those. If you have a few thousand dollars lying around, its best to use industry tools like Radian, Meltwater, Brandwatch etc to monitor these sorts of things.

werks

Banned
Ok the reason gamestop can make so much money off used games is because a seller agrees to a low price and a buyer agrees to a high price. They both do so knowing full well that there are alternatives that will net the seller more money & cost the buyer less money, but they agree to the shitty value because gamestop provides convenience. That is their business model.

Are publishers going to set up brick & mortar shops, or maybe even an online trade in system? Because thats the only way they are entitled to a second cut of the profit, along with the associated business risks that comes with the model. No. They want none of the risk gamestop is taking but want to benefit from the system.

The game industry is making the MPAA & RIAA look like saints. Because the MPAA & RIAA aren't fighting second hand sales but piracy, and consumers still rejected their bullshit. But we are supposed to be okay the most restrictive form of DRM because the game industry can't get it's shit together?

Jaffe is living in a world where math doesn't exist & publishers can get a second cut of the profits without the cost coming down on the consumer. Show me a single way where I can sell a game private party, have the publisher get a cut & not effect how much I can sell a game for. It doesn't fucking exist & Jaffe can fuck off.

The PC industry is thrown in as a no used game allowed model. Bullshit. Right now I can buy a physical copy of Borderlands 2, play the game & resell it. The PC industry adapted by making the digital sales competitive, not by disallowing used game sales.

The option to kill the used game industry exists right now in all consoles, its PSN, XBOX Marketplace & Wii Shop. But they have to provide a better value for consumers, which involves competition. Instead they want to provide a physical copy while taking away all the benefits of buying a disc.

The game industry wants to monopolize & regulate prices, when they should be trying to compete.

Right now I can buy a physical copy of Borderlands 2, play the game & resell it.

Actually you can't. Borderlands 2 is a Steamworks game, so every copy -- even those purchased at retail -- must be registered on Steam. Once you do that, the physical disc is essentially useless. It's actually exactly what MS is proposing for the Xbone.

Your point still stands though, that was just a bad example to use.

Shinta

Banned
Ok the reason gamestop can make so much money off used games is because a seller agrees to a low price and a buyer agrees to a high price. They both do so knowing full well that there are alternatives that will net the seller more money & cost the buyer less money, but they agree to the shitty value because gamestop provides convenience. That is their business model.

Are publishers going to set up brick & mortar shops, or maybe even an online trade in system? Because thats the only way they are entitled to a second cut of the profit, along with the associated business risks that comes with the model. No. They want none of the risk gamestop is taking but want to benefit from the system.

The game industry is making the MPAA & RIAA look like saints. Because the MPAA & RIAA aren't fighting second hand sales but piracy, and consumers still rejected their bullshit. But we are supposed to be okay the most restrictive form of DRM because the game industry can't get it's shit together?

Jaffe is living in a world where math doesn't exist & publishers can get a second cut of the profits without the cost coming down on the consumer. Show me a single way where I can sell a game private party, have the publisher get a cut & not effect how much I can sell a game for. It doesn't fucking exist & Jaffe can fuck off.

The PC industry is thrown in as a no used game allowed model. Bullshit. Right now I can buy a physical copy of Borderlands 2, play the game & resell it. The PC industry adapted by making the digital sales competitive, not by disallowing used game sales.

The option to kill the used game industry exists right now in all consoles, its PSN, XBOX Marketplace & Wii Shop. But they have to provide a better value for consumers, which involves competition. Instead they want to provide a physical copy while taking away all the benefits of buying a disc.

The game industry wants to monopolize & regulate prices, when they should be trying to compete.
I agree with this 100%.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Actually you can't. Borderlands 2 is a Steamworks game, so every copy -- even those purchased at retail -- must be registered on Steam. Once you do that, the physical disc is essentially useless. It's actually exactly what MS is proposing for the Xbone.

Your point still stands though, that was just a bad example to use.

Yea.. pretty much every large game for the last few years uses Steamworks and thus you cannot resell the game if you install it.

Alright folks I'm off to bed. Well, I'm sure I'll check the thread a few more times in bed before falling asleep. But i won't be able to update the op for the next 8 hours or so. Mods, of course, can.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Since you are a developer, what do you think about DRM and used games?
I'm a consumer too, and I'm no hypocrite. I've sold old games in order to buy new ones, picked up a used game and ended up becoming a fan of the developer, and wouldn't dream of trying to keep anyone who's enjoyed my games from trading it in towards something else. Now - is it annoying as hell to see a retailer or reseller attempt to sell me a used game for 5 bucks less than new? Absolutely. Would I like to see some of that money go back to the developer/publisher/financial stakeholders? Sure! I'd be lying if I said I didn't.

Unless or until this industry can figure out a way to make that happen without passing additional costs over to the customer, however, the status quo - consumer rights intact - should remain. Used games and lack of DRM aren't the reason behind developers going under. It's the homogenization of design, the approval of unrealistic development and marketing budgets for B-tier titles competing in the AAA-tier space. Know who you are and spend accordingly, instead of chasing a very small slice of the pie that's already committed to the one or two behemoths in that particular genre, whether it be FPS, MOBA, what have you.

Some motherfuckers always trying to ice-skate uphill.

werks

Banned
Sorry for the shitty example, but i think most of the point still stands. Pisses me off that I had to defend gamestop, but they are no worse than any car dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom