• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4OculusVR Campaign Thread: Virtual Reality goes Next Gen.. please?

In this thread we will use our community to communicate with Sony via Twitter stating how amazing it would be if they joined up with the Oculus Rift Team to bring this amazing peripheral to the PS4.

oculus_rift_proto_640_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

What is the Oculus Rift?

The Oculus Rift is a funded kickstarter product that is making some noise in the PC gaming world. It is currently out but only the developer version.

You can check out their site here.

Is it good?

I never personally had hands on but I have been following it for a while. But from these impressions I can say that this thing is the real deal.

90 year old grandmother plays the Oculus Rift

Minecraft + Oculus Rift

Guy tests out a tech demo of a Roller Coaster + Oculus Rift

What can you do to help?

5a6JRbt.png

Go to your Twitter account and tweet to @yosp, @Playstation, @PlaystationEurope or the other many other playstation twitter accounts out there using this #PS4OculusVR hashtag.

Let's get out voice out!

#PS4OculusVR is a worldwide campaign to demonstrate the strong demand for the Oculus virtual-reality gaming experience. After the success of #PS4noDRM gamers all around the globe have to unite and speak up once again to express their feelings. The Oculus Rift had a good kickstart, but they need a big boost and a lot of support from developers AND GAMERS in order to succeed (i.e. not becoming just another peripheral collecting dust in some hobby-dev's basement).

The PS4 seems to be perfect for a new partnership between Sony and Oculus. Shuhei Yoshida already knows about the Rift and loves it but denies support at the moment. When asked if there is future support he stated "No comment" with a big smile.
Main Target: Attract medias attention through viral support on a variety of social networks - convince Sony to go into official partnership with Team Oculus - make Sony/ Microsoft/ Nintendo aware of the strong demand for a next gen virtual-reality experience.

PLEASE HELP SUPPORTING THIS DREAM OF A REAL NEXT GEN EXPERIENCE - SHARE THIS IDEA OF A VIRTUAL REALITY BECOMING TRUE ON PS4 - GO ON TWITTER, FACEBOOK, YOUTUBE, TWEET & TALK TO SONY EXECS, CREATE GIFS ETC. ANYTHING THAT HELPS SPREADING THE WORD

#PS4OculusVR

#PS4OculusVR

#PS4OculusVR

Credit goes to Åesop for actually taking the initiative in wanting to create a thread but couldn't because of his junior status.

Zabant

This I can get behind.

Edit: I every much suggest putting Adam Boyes' tag @amboyes in the OP as it's been made clear he's the one pushing for awesome stuff like the No DRM an extra 4gddr behind the scenes at sony.

I'm now worried that whenever we want something we're just going to launch a twitter campaign. It will then become diluted and meaningless.

Good luck - It's not for me and there is no way I can use this to game so I'm not going to spend time chasing something that I won't use.

I also caution over using this twitter campaigns. They could go from helpful and useful to really annoying.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Be careful not to dilute the power of a social movement by starting a new one every other week

yosp's comments have thus far seemed to me to be a wink and a nod, I think Oculus support is coming. Why not stand down on this for now...

Edit: diluted is the word of the day

Ploid 3.0

I can't use Oculus rift. It's very good huh? Is it the same as 3d tv stuff in that it wil lneed two images and sacrifice some framerates? It sounds like a big deal by how much it's requested for games.

As long as games don't require 3d I'm fine. GL dudes.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned
Sorry, but no. This is stupid. You can't use twitter to blow up yosp's mentions for every little thing.

Oculus Rift or whatever is not as important as saving used games was.

Besides, if CliffyB really wants Oculus Rift on PS4, then he should already have yosp on speed dial or whatever. But nah, he probably wants it exclusive to Xbox One anyway, because of his self-documented pro-DRM stance.

Atomski

For all the crap PC gamers get for port begging.. we get this.

Anyways I am sure this will piss people off but I will quote myself from the other thread.

#KeepRiftPC

As a PC gamer it not only is awesome for me but when gamers realize PC has a next gen exclusive feature that they can only get there it will mean more gamers and developers moving to the platform. Its a win win for me, plus the creators are super passionate about the openness of PC.

With that said I believe Valve will be throwing a lot of money at them for the very reasons I mentioned. It will be great for them as well which is why they are already supporting natively in their games.

I'm not really even sure if this is really necessary since famousmortimer mentioned that he's heard for some time that they're going to support it.

DoomGyver

I can see Oculus VR coming to the PS4 some time down the road, but right now it's probably waaay at the bottom of the list of things to do.

subrock

I like the idea, but tweeting it at Yoshida seems unnecessary. He's listening, he doesn't need to be shouted at.

They already stated they love the thing, it's only a matter of time before they implement it, no need to push it at this moment I don't think.

Kamal007

Neo Member
Sorry, but no. This is stupid. You can't use twitter to blow up yosp's mentions for every little thing.

Oculus Rift or whatever is not as important as saving used games was.

Besides, if CliffyB really wants Oculus Rift on PS4, then he should already have yosp on speed dial or whatever. But nah, he probably wants it exclusive to Xbox One anyway, because of his self-documented pro-DRM stance.

you aren't any authority on what warrants a twitter campaign.

Oculus VR is true next gen hardware. Pure PC Gaming race has already won next gen, its open source on PC! I've been a console gamer since day 1 but its the reason I'll build a PC.

tsumineko

Yeah, these "twitter campaigns" are getting a bit much... you're only going to piss people off.

I'd love to see Rift on Ps4, but come on...

Alphahawk

I'm now worried that whenever we want something we're just going to launch a twitter campaign. It will then become diluted and meaningless.

This. Apparently there is now a movement within the #NoDRM thread to get Sony to drop the PS+ requirement, which just strikes me as horribly entitled. I mean I get why people are upset about having to pay for online but it seems like something that Sony needs to do to keep it's business running.

What's next? #freegamesforfour?

Zaptruder

Banned
By the time they get around to pushing it or something like it on the PS4, it'll be 3 years into the generation, the OR will have been out for nearly as long on the PC, and the people that give a shit will have experimented with some goddamn awesome games on it... like Star Citizen.

spuit*11

Banned
They could easily make their own VR headset.

Take one of those HMDs, slap some gyros, magneto- and accelerometers on there and you're good to go.

That or go for a trackIR-like headtracking setup.

Would be cool, I bet they could work all sorts of electronic engeering voodoo on the mini-displays. The ones in the Oculus devkits are really pixely.

But yeah, starting a twitter campaign maybe a bit much.

let's give the Sony guys that are on Twitter a break

#PS4NoDRM was something genuinely important to consumers and the industry, this is just spamming Sony requesting a cool feature

Audioboxer

Companies are ever increasingly using social media as an important way to gauge feedback, so let's not get all high horse about keeping it "exclusive". If people want to express interest in OR for the PS4 what easier a way to do so. Go ahead I say.

No need to ever spam people, but top dogs like Yoshida know what to expect when they unleash themselves onto Twitter.

Alphahawk

For all the crap PC gamers get for port begging.. we get this.

Anyways I am sure this will piss people off but I will quote myself from the other thread.

With that said I believe Valve will be throwing a lot of money at them for the very reasons I mentioned. It will be great for them as well which is why they are already supporting natively in their games.

Why do you care if a feature's system exclusive?This just strikes me as the PC equivalent of people who felt "betrayed" when DMC4 went multiplatform.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah. Save it for something big that really matters. Oculus is already on their radar, let them look into it and see if it's doable.

The Cowboy

I'm with the people who said not to do this, I'm all for going all out to try and get something anti consumer stopped/not started that would affect every PS4 owner, but this would just dilute truly worthy campaigns as its just spamming to try and get a nice/cool feature only a fraction of the likely PS4 owner base will ever use.

If you jump onto twitter to start a mass spam campaign for every little thing then very quickly all campaigns will start to be ignored.

Rafy

I don't know about this one... I don't this to become a thing and have a twitter campaign every other day. The previous one addressed anti consumer policies and it was like an online guerrilla by consumers, if this starts happening ofter our voices will be lost and we'll be seen as a bunch of crying kids that nothing they ever give us satisfies us. Yoshida made an indirect suggestion that it might be happening, for now I think this is enough, the console has not even started going on the shelves yet. Give it some time to grow first, and more importantly, give the time to sony to gather some money. If they are making any profit from the hardware it's very close to the break even line, just let 'em sell a few million consoles. For now I am sitting this one out.

Atomski

Why do you care if a feature's system exclusive?This just strikes me as the PC equivalent of people who felt "betrayed" when DMC4 went multiplatform.

Did you not read my post?

Exclusive features like this will bring more gamers to PC, more gamers come to PC more developers follow. Its a win for current PC gamers.. thats why I care.

Dinosur

If you're going to be whiny and never satisfied, can we at least try #PS4HandJob before you completely destroy the power of the hashtag?

I like the fan spirit, but I believe at this point this is not even necessary anymore. It will just be a matter of time for the support to come. Yosp is a big fan and has teased often enough. I guess Sony waits for the thing to release and see how it is accepted in the market. There is nothing that we can influence here.

Top Bottom