• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's AF issue we need answers!

pixlexic

Banned
EDIT:

This thread is because it keeps coming up. the last three DF face offs had the issue.

evolve
dying light
saints row

dont take it personally some of us just want to know why.

What is it?

In 3D computer graphics, anisotropic filtering (abbreviated AF) is a method of enhancing the image quality of textures on surfaces of computer graphics that are at oblique viewing angles with respect to the camera where the projection of the texture (not the polygon or other primitive on which it is rendered) appears to be non-orthogonal (thus the origin of the word: "an" for not, "iso" for same, and "tropic" from tropism, relating to direction; anisotropic filtering does not filter the same in every direction).

Evolve
comp.png

saints row
sr.png

Thief
Vm54wIz.png

DyingLight
89174b69a497c6cb2b1bb9316ac5d9b7.jpg

Murdered
I5mkUla.png

Strider
Bf83Qjl.png
[/QUOTE]

Unfinished Swan
15485977828_c7210f2842_o.gif

This is a trend now. It is not a few random games.

Don't you think we should get an answer from somebody?
Sony or a Dev somewhere... come on

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
It would be nice hear from Mark Cerny or someone else on the ICE team as to why this seems to be a constant problem with PS4 multiplatform games.

VanWinkle

It is really weird for sure.

Many games have it just fine, so I don't understand why there are any games that have it one other platforms but not on PS4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It is really odd when the PS4 version has less AF than the XBO version. I'd love someone to comment on it and to see it hopefully get addressed.

Fbh

I don't notice it much during gameplay but look at screenshot comparisons it does look quite ugly.

I wonder why it's never in Ps4 games. From what I've heard it generally doesn't demand much extra power from the hardware

SliChillax

You could have chosen e better pic OP but yeah I agree, it's really weird how such a simple feature that has no impact on performance is not included in almost any PS4 game.

gruenel

I don't notice it much during gameplay but look at screenshot comparisons it does look quite ugly.

I wonder why it's never in Ps4 games. From what I've heard it generally doesn't demand much extra power from the hardware

Ehh? Most games do AF just fine, that's what makes it even more weird.

It's in a vast majority of PS4 games.

Edit: Beaten.

CoG

http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-ice-team-...16xaf-new-asm-for-faster-offline-asset-baking

Cort Stratton, a senior programmer on Sony’s ICE Team has revealed a few interesting tid-bits about the PlayStation 4’s graphics capabilities. First of all he revealed that the PlayStation 4 has no issues in supporting 16 X Anisotropic Filtering, a method by which in game textures look great even when viewed at an angle. But certain games like Thief use the less impressive Trilinear filtering which led some users to raises questions whether the PS4’s GPU is capable of supporting 16 X AF.
Cort stated that there are no hardware issues restricting 16 X AF that he is aware of. “No hardware/SDK issues that I’m aware of. Sounds like a question for the developer.”

Blobbers

The Order 1886 has incredible AF. Other devs are probably just lazy. Lazy is the middle name of this gen, after all.

SRBRTkc.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Generally it doesn't need a lot of power, but on PC you can adjust other settings as needed to maintain frame rate. On console that 'small' amount of power might be enough to reduce the framerate or have other impacts and so the developer chooses to lower AF to avoid that.

But then why do some Ps4 games not have AF when the Xbox versions does? If it is just power then it'd affect both?

the Ps4 has more memory bandwidth than Xbox one so that shouldn't be the issue. But it is usually running at a higher resolution. While it should have enough GPU power to compensate for the difference in resolution, maybe that is enough to take it over the edge? Or maybe the increased resolution outs more stress on the memory bandwidth to the point where AF has to be sacrificed?

no maam

Banned
How does one he Xbox one look better via those photos while only being 900p. I thought 1080p makes things less blurry and sharper?

viveks86

Isn't evolve using cryengine? Are there other cryengine games that have AF on PS4? Wondering if it's an engine level compatibility issue that hasn't been addressed yet

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Isn't evolve using cryengine? Are there other cryengine games that have AF on PS4? Wondering if it's an engine level compatibility issue that hasn't been addressed yet

Maybe? The lack of AF has happened on multiple engines, though. Dying Light, Thief, and Evolve all use different engines.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's my best guess as well. I think it's the first Cryengine game on the system. Other games where there's a disparity between the consoles were mostly UE3 games, with the exception of Dying Light.

Izuna

Banned
It is probably just an SDK issue, where on the Xbone it is applied automatically and certain devs don't care for it.

Jonnax

Why can't some game journalists try to contact some of the developers? I'm sure at least one would be willing to talk.

Top Bottom