• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's memory subsystem has separate buses for CPU (20Gb/s) and GPU(176Gb/s)

sono

Gold Member
Op its GB not Gb i.e Bytes not bits/second

Cerny did describe the dual bus architecture previously, so its a bit surprising to hear devs describe it as a learning point ?

Do they port or develop before reading the specs ?

headshakefeuqx.gif

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I had a feeling the PS4 would be stealth downgraded before launch
Stuff like these posts just suck, because this specification has been talked about in April.

It's pure ignorance to post this. It clutters up the people that genuinely want to understand this stuff.

satori

So what we want to do are some PS4-specific things for our rendering but within reason - it's a cross-platform game so we can't do too much that's PS4-specific," he reveals.

Boo I understand the reasoning, but still don't sit well when people don't go all out and take advantage of available resources when it comes to anything ><

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
What is with all this misinformation? It clearly says in the article that there is a bus for the cpu to access main memory, and in addition to that, you have another bus bypassing the cache with direct access to gpu for compute jobs. It is this extra bus to the gpu that is 20GB/s.

xaosslug

Eurogamer said:
"The PS4's GPU is very programmable. There's a lot of power in there that we're just not using yet. So what we want to do are some PS4-specific things for our rendering but within reason - it's a cross-platform game so we can't do too much that's PS4-specific," he reveals.

Xbone's low spec holding PS4 back confirmed?

Just ignore them, it's for the best.

Yeah, same old suspects as usual too.
Some nice tidbits in the article, but the best part for me was this:

With the basic porting complete, the Ubisoft Reflections team is now ramping up its staff in order to complete the PS4 game ready for the Q1 2014 release, but the core engineering effort in moving The Crew across to PlayStation 4 was accomplished in six months with a team of just two to three people working on it. Overall, Reflections felt that the process of porting over the PC codebase was fairly simple and straightforward.

I know i know, everyone's been saying it for a long time, but it's great news.

The only "downgrade" from rumors was the 192 GB/s number came in at 176 GB/s. Everything else has been met or beat. 1.6 GHz octa core CPU was right on. 1.84 TF GPU was right on (with no silly 14 CU for graphics, 4 for compute division). 4GB GDDR5 was beat with 8GB.

Raist

Banned
The only "downgrade" from rumors was the 192 GB/s number came in at 176 GB/s. Everything else has been met or beat. 1.6 GHz octa core CPU was right on. 1.84 TF GPU was right on (with no silly 14 CU for graphics, 4 for compute division). 4GB GDDR5 was beat with 8GB.

Nah there was an actual downgrade.

Price

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If the memory pool is unified (which we know it is) but the buses are separate and of different speeds, is the memory subsystem truly unified?
The part that makes it more unified than what was seen on for example the 360, is that instead of just sharing a common pool of memory the CPU and GPU on the PS4 (and Xbone) have unified memory access.

That's the next-gen part, as it means there is no need to translate (and thereby copy) something from CPU specific memory to GPU specific memory (incompatible pointers) but everything is one common understandable memory.

The CPU can use the 20GB/s bus to prepare parts of the memory where the CPU shines for later compute jobs where the GPU shines and that doesn't result in let's say 2GB of traffic over the buses when the data they want to modify is 1GB in size.

So overall, I'd argue yes to your question.

What is with all this misinformation? It clearly says in the article that there is a bus for the cpu to access main memory, and in addition to that, you have another bus bypassing the cache with direct access to gpu for compute jobs. It is this extra bus to the gpu that is 20GB/s.

Unless I'm misreading, that's not what it says. The Onion bus is for the communication of the CPU with the RAM.

Top Bottom