• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5’s SSD Will Bring “A Paradigm Shift in How We Structure Our Game Worlds” – Quantum League Developer

thelastword

Banned
While the PS5 has drawn some criticism from some people over its perceived lack of power as compared to the Xbox Series X, one aspect of the console that has universally excited developers across the industry is its SSD. The console’s solid state drive promises to be the best on the market, and theoretically, should lead to actual, tangible improvements in game design, on top of other relatively more minor but still welcome upgrades.

Another developer who’s quite excited about the PS5’s SSD is Balthazar Auger of Nimble Giant Entertainment, lead designer on the unique upcoming competitive shooter, Quantum League. Speaking with GamingBolt, Auger talked about how the SSD would, of course, help reduce load times, before saying that more importantly, it will probably trigger “a paradigm shift” in how developers approach designing their game’s worlds.

He said: “Well, it definitely should help loading times, for a start, but speaking as a game and level designer what this will probably bring over time is a kind of paradigm shift in how we structure our game worlds, and how detailed they can be.”

According to Auger, however, it remains to be seen if and when those theoretical advantages will actually manifest, which is something that will be determined by various other factors, such as development engines that can evolve to the point where they can actually handle that kind of stuff.

“It remains to see what actual benefits we can get from that right now, as engine technology also needs to evolve to match the hardware advances, and developer mentalities need to catch up as well,” Auger said. “Sometimes more isn’t really better (remember the Cell?).”

Meanwhile, when asked about possible ports of Quantum League on the PS5 and the Xbox Series X, Auger responded, “Nothing is off the table!”

In the same interview, Auger also spoke to us about the difference between the PS5 and Xbox Series X’s respective GPU clock speeds, and what sort of an impact he sees that having.

Quantum League is due out for the PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC later this year. Our full interview with Auger will be going live soon, so stay tuned for that.

https://gamingbolt.com/ps5s-ssd-will-greatly-reduce-patch-install-times

---------------------
So another developer is excited for what the SSD holds and he's just not talking loadtimes, but moreso world and level design.......Seems many developers are excited, but wasn't there a journalist who said "we should not get too excited, procedural generation is the future et al".....Seems so many devs are all giddy in their skirts with their ponytails on....for that SSD,,

bitbydeath

News flash, the XsX has a fast SSD too. Look at the hands on video of the console, he loaded game after game without closing them out and they were loading near instantly. This is a moot point, both consoles have fast SSD’s. It’s standard next gen.

The throughput is something like 4.8GB/s (Xbox) vs 22GB/s (PS5).

I mean sure they both have SSD’s though.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
In another thread this same developer gave The Series X some praise as being the superior console and got discredited because people didn't know who they were. Let's see in this thread if the same rules apply since they are praising Sonys SSD.

all depends on the angle people are looking at, both SSD's will bring changes but I see posts about it making the PS5 better all the time where we have no real world examples so far. be interesting to see how this plays out

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
News flash, the XsX has a fast SSD too. Look at the hands on video of the console, he loaded game after game without closing them out and they were loading near instantly. This is a moot point, both consoles have fast SSD’s. It’s standard next gen.
It's no use, they won't give up on this. It's all they have left, so I guess we can let them hold on for dear life. Most people know that the SSD difference isn't going to mean much of anything in practical use.

TBiddy

sublimit

Banned
Pfffft obviously he must be another paid shill by Sony. PS5 will be trash and XSX exclusives and multiplatforms will be superior in every way!

Am i doing it right? :p

quest

Not Banned from OT
Pfffft obviously he must be another paid shill by Sony. PS5 will be trash and XSX exclusives and multiplatforms will be superior in every way!

Am i doing it right? :p
Considering they said that series x tf will only show up in exclusives because of lowest common denominator take a guess lol.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
It remains to see what actual benefits we can get from that right now, as engine technology also needs to evolve to match the hardware advances, and developer mentalities need to catch up as well,” Auger said. “Sometimes more isn’t really better (remember the Cell?).
Cell 2.0 confirmed.

kbear

Already a thread

Even has the same title.

Not only that but the source link in the OP doesn't isn't what he quoted. It's a totally different article. This guy is one of the worst console warriors of all time.

kbear

None of this:
While the PS5 has drawn some criticism from some people over its perceived lack of power as compared to the Xbox Series X, one aspect of the console that has universally excited developers across the industry is its SSD. The console’s solid state drive promises to be the best on the market, and theoretically, should lead to actual, tangible improvements in game design, on top of other relatively more minor but still welcome upgrades.

Another developer who’s quite excited about the PS5’s SSD is Balthazar Auger of Nimble Giant Entertainment, lead designer on the unique upcoming competitive shooter, Quantum League. Speaking with GamingBolt, Auger talked about how the SSD would, of course, help reduce load times, before saying that more importantly, it will probably trigger “a paradigm shift” in how developers approach designing their game’s worlds.

He said: “Well, it definitely should help loading times, for a start, but speaking as a game and level designer what this will probably bring over time is a kind of paradigm shift in how we structure our game worlds, and how detailed they can be.”

According to Auger, however, it remains to be seen if and when those theoretical advantages will actually manifest, which is something that will be determined by various other factors, such as development engines that can evolve to the point where they can actually handle that kind of stuff.

“It remains to see what actual benefits we can get from that right now, as engine technology also needs to evolve to match the hardware advances, and developer mentalities need to catch up as well,” Auger said. “Sometimes more isn’t really better (remember the Cell?).”

Meanwhile, when asked about possible ports of Quantum League on the PS5 and the Xbox Series X, Auger responded, “Nothing is off the table!”

In the same interview, Auger also spoke to us about the difference between the PS5 and Xbox Series X’s respective GPU clock speeds, and what sort of an impact he sees that having.

Quantum League is due out for the PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC later this year. Our full interview with Auger will be going live soon, so stay tuned for that.

Is in this link:

Like what are you even doing bro, go back to bed

INC

But PC's have had ssd's for years tho.......

Or were devs waiting for consoles first?

sublimit

Banned
Considering they said that series x tf will only show up in exclusives because of lowest common denominator take a guess lol.

Damn. Sony is finished. (lol)

Last edited:

onQ123

States in the OP. More detail on screen at once.

Where did I hear that before?

hyperbertha

So basically tech and engines dont evolve until console tech does then?
It depends on what tech the vast majority of gamers have in possession (the lowest common denominator). Consoles depict the vast majority. So with both consoles having SSDs, this time third party baseline most likely will move to SSDs as a minimum requirement for PC versions.

TLZ

Banned
6 seconds isn't near instantly.

TBiddy

Not only that but the source link in the OP doesn't isn't what he quoted. It's a totally different article. This guy is one of the worst console warriors of all time.

He might've posted the wrong link, I guess. Not that I disagree per se, with your last sentence.

Fbh

I wonder if once both consoles are out and the Series X consistently performs better in multiplatform games these threads will stop. Or if it will just turn into some hate campaign against third party devs for "not using the super fast SSD correctly"

Shmunter

There are just as many threads about 12 TFs, but those don't seem to upset the same people upset over SSD threads. Strange.
Because it’s difficult caring about a poofteenth of a TF difference when you have a > 2x gulf in a memory subsystem. Being practically a gen apart in that area gives devotees of a certain persuasion sleepless nights and panic attacks for some reason.

Sota4077

My god yet another thread that talks about the Playstation's goddamn SSD. Yes it is going to be awesome. No, it will not close the raw performance gap between the two consoles no matter how fast the drive is. Can we not just leave it at that? It will be able to do cool things. The Xbox Series X has an SSD as well. The PS5's can run faster. That doesn't mean PS5 is somehow going to perform better. There are different speeds of SSD that currently exist on PC and one does not give a completely different game than another does. This idea that a game on PS5 is going to be way better because of the SSD is goddamn nonesense.

thelastword

Banned
None of this:

Is in this link:

Like what are you even doing bro, go back to bed
Are you having a breakdown? The whole content is in the video, just the wrong link.....You could have just said so without all the hand flailing and hyperventilation......

He might've posted the wrong link, I guess. Not that I disagree per se, with your last sentence.
Thanks for believing Tbiddy......lol........Thing is I had three links from the article opened up on my PC, so I mistakenly posted the last link.....However the full article was quoted......I can't edit so I cant fix it, but nothing to get any panties twisted over....Sadly that poster is having a breakdown over it.....Also I searched but did not see Ibiza's thread.....So mods can merge, just remove Kbear's posts because that vitriol is unnecessary and completely embarrassing....

The Alien

Banned
Aside from load times (as is obvious) this article sums up why I'm not overly excited that the key feature for the PS5 is an SSD.

It will be a paradigm shift but "it remains to see what actual benefits".

Until I see these game changing "paradigm shifts", it's all marketing drivel. I'll take the extra power that devs can impact now and likely most of the next gen.

BigLee74

Wowsers, another thread on the PS5s super magical SSD!

I was getting worried we hadn't had one for a few minutes.

Mark my words. Games will continue to be developed as they currently are, and PS5 owners will simply have a system that loads them up twice as fast as the XSX.

2 seconds as opposed to 4.

It really won't be a big deal.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Lol @ the disingenuous thread title, the dev is not just talking about the ps5 ssd.

Its so obvious that the Op is trying to make it look like the that devs think its only the ps5 ssd which enable these things, when the truth is they think the same about the xsx.

martino

thank you finally a dev not linked to a deal /or working for one or the other talking also about the "but" everybody not too biased could have doubt from the start.
if you add the bethesda comment to that....
Scepticism here is right approach.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

all depends on the angle people are looking at, both SSD's will bring changes but I see posts about it making the PS5 better all the time where we have no real world examples so far. be interesting to see how this plays out
Games will come out on xbox too and they will have better res and frame. With SSSD5 or not.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Top Bottom