• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 - 6 Million; Xbox Series X/S - 3.94 Million - VgChartz

bitbydeath

VGChartz is probably the closest we’ll see to actual sales all gen.

Global hardware estimates (Followed by lifetime sales):

1. Switch - 423,187 (80,793,408)
  2. PlayStation 5 - 201,033 (6,078,333)
  3. Xbox Series X|S - 103,237 (3,944,563)
  4. PlayStation 4 - 43,366 (115,150,983)
  5. Xbox One - 19,234 (49,926,854)
  6. 3DS - 1,453 (75,922,374)

>VG Chartz

silent night deadly night part 2 trash GIF

Ceadeus

People sure are enthusiastic about these new console. Literally on a rush, buying stock from scalpers. Even though there's no new exciting games that came out.

It's the first console launch I've missed. Launch window is dry and not exciting at all!

Anyone else in the same boat? Currently only playing Nintendo Switch here and there.

GametimeUK

VG Chartz always reminds me of that youtuber General MLD when he would use that site and metacritic to troll Sony fans by saying the 360 was superior. I guess Karma hit hard last gen for him though.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with VG Chartz.

SantaC

Vg chartz was started by an old gaffer. I dont remember his nick, but i think it might been brandon something

yurinka

VGChartz "worldwide hardware estimates" = fake numbers that only are a fanboy random guess

VGChartz numbers constantly contradict official numbers. They were banned in GAF for years. Not sure if they are still banned, but I think they should continue banned.

VGChartz is probably the closest we’ll see to actual sales all gen.
No, we see real sales from Sony and Nintendo and when lucky from time to time MS or some reliable source mentions Xbox sales.

VGChartz always have been totally unaccurate, fake numbers.

Last edited:

jm89

It's not guessing. They call their local GameStops and ask how many systems they sold. It's complete bullshit, which is why the site was once banned here.
They take whatever "data" they have and extrapolate. That is guessing what the actual worldwide or whatever region sales they are calculating.

These numbers mean nothing since stock of both sell out almost right away. I'd be curious how well they'd have done if not constrained by supply.

Varteras

Gold Member
There is a good reason people shit on this site. I remember the early days of the last generation when sales figures were coming in. The creator of that site took a rumored number of Xbox One sales and went with it, either not realizing it was just a rumor or knowing, but when Sony officially announced sales of PlayStation 4 he refused to update the sales figures because he personally "can't see how that's possible". It completely conflicted with his site's projected sales therefor Sony couldn't be trusted. If I remember correctly, it was a month later that he finally conceded and updated the figures. The guy was banned from the original NeoGAF for making up false Xbox 360 numbers and trying to prove that PlayStation 3 wasn't outselling it on a year-to-year basis. Even if that wasn't enough to convince you, VGChartz has only ever been as accurate as announced numbers. So they won't be the ones breaking information like this. These numbers are just what they THINK have sold based on a combination of announced numbers, a few tweets and phone calls, and a whole lot of trend projecting. Even then, beware of bias from this site. If you're really that hard up for sales figures and you can't wait for official announcements, you're MUCH better off hoping someone like Zhuge, Benji, or any number of analysts make a comment about it.

Kokoloko85

Even though people take the piss outta VGcharts, there not always wrong and update with real numbers when they are official lol

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Vgchatz is literally guessing sales. Although they do update based on real data so some of their historical stuff can be usefull.
If they are updating with real data they are not guessing. They are likely trying to estimate based on limited data. That is a reasonable practice and it will still have general trends. But I get it, its cool to bash them because they can't give you a number within a few 10s of thousands at any given moment.

bitbydeath

You’re just hating them out of old habit. Things change, people improve and they are often cited now on some respectable sites. All their numbers seem very correct. Somebody else will sooner or later confirm those numbers and you’ll be eating shit then.
Yeah, even AMD references them and they make the hardware.

images

When that’s all you got, that’s what you use.

jm89

If they are updating with real data they are not guessing. They are likely trying to estimate based on limited data. That is a reasonable practice and it will still have general trends. But I get it, its cool to bash them because they can't give you a number within a few 10s of thousands at any given moment.
Their own estimation is guesswork. Yes they do update with real data, but their sales dsyncs from actual sales when they start doing their own thing.

I use to follow vgchartz years ago quite closely and I have seen many times where they would overtrack/undetrack by a huge anount.

You’re just hating them out of old habit. Things change, people improve and they are often cited now on some respectable sites. All their numbers seem very correct. Somebody else will sooner or later confirm those numbers and you’ll be eating shit then.

Well some numbers at least. That's the issue.

Top Bottom