• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 - 6 Million; Xbox Series X/S - 3.94 Million - VgChartz

If that is true that are even the combined numbers of series x and s, so s is really selling weak then. If S is not selling better in the future I can really see developers putting much effort in this version and it will be a mess. It’s already visible with some titles how little effort went into the development. Series S is a good console to play old games, but it will probably get worse as time goes on.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Are the XBO numbers close? I thought it got to at least 50 million.

Yeah I know lol the source and all but still.

And...if these numbers are accurate for PS5, Series consoles.....oh boy. Its starting already.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Pity they don’t track gamepass subs.....
Dont worry, some companies do. Will game pass subs equal a huge increase in console sales? Like many say, MS dont care about console sales.
Microsoft would have sold more consoles if there was more stock.
True. Just means for whatever reason Sony manufactured/can manufacture more stock than MS. I do think Sony stock disappears quicker, no matter the amount.

One theory I have is the PS5 and DE is easier to switch on the assembly line than the Series consoles. For all the pre launch talk about Series S was gonna have Sony shook because of the price...seems having actual stock to sell is waaaaaay more important.

Of course you do. Scalpers aren’t buying more PS5s to boost sales numbers. Does it matter to you if the PS5 is generally more sought after than Xbox? It shouldn’t.
Exactly.

That is such a weird thing to use to dismiss sale numbers.

Scalpers bought massive Wii U stock early on.....look how that turned out. Anyone thinking the PS5 will be in a similar situation is in for a rude awakening.

Last edited:

rolandss

People sure are enthusiastic about these new console. Literally on a rush, buying stock from scalpers. Even though there's no new exciting games that came out.

It's the first console launch I've missed. Launch window is dry and not exciting at all!

Anyone else in the same boat? Currently only playing Nintendo Switch here and there.
I was in the same boat until Tuesday when I was given the opportunity to get a ps5 through work and I said what the hell. There’s nothing to play though, all PS4 games.

truth411

So you'll be waiting indefinitely, as MS stopped providing sales numbers for consoles :messenger_tears_of_joy:
No. Sony will eventually tell us how many PS5 they sold through. MS stop telling us sold through Xbox Sales cause they were getting their butts kicked.

Ceadeus

I was in the same boat until Tuesday when I was given the opportunity to get a ps5 through work and I said what the hell. There’s nothing to play though, all PS4 games.
Yeah, that's one weird console launch. Both Microsoft and Sony could have let it cook for another year before releasing it. Letting developers be more ready also.

Rockman33

I feel like these numbers could be massively higher if they could just make more units. I have friends in both camps that are consistently trying to get either a Xbox or PlayStation. Supply issues really blow

I use to follow vgchartz years ago quite closely and I have seen many times where they would overtrack/undetrack by a huge anount.
This is the nature of what they are doing, when they get "real numbers" they update, I still think they're close enough most of the time so we have an idea.

Banned
Lol. The same VG Chartz which had Xbox One outselling PS4 at launch.

You’d be better off posting your own estimates OP.

at launch of any system they sell as many as they can stock.
the Wii U sold more than 3 million in its first 3 to 4 months for example.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
Only 4 million PS5s more to get to the important 10 million milestone.

“History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle. We are uniquely positioned to set a new benchmark for the industry.”
- Don Mattrick (Marketing Genius)

“What are we willing to do in year one, two, and three to hit 10 million (units sold)? Always remember first to 10 million wins.”
- Peter Moore (Stigmatophile)

ZehDon

... vgcharz...
VG Chartz Methodology:
...On the hardware front we continue to produce weekly estimates, based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, which are then extrapolated to represent the wider region... This data is regularly compared against official shipment figures released by the console manufacturers and figures estimated by regional trackers with greater market coverage than ourselves (such as Famitsu in Japan or NPD in North America). We then update our own estimates to bring them into line with those figures...
giphy.gif

Kagey K

Banned
Only 4 million PS5s more to get to the important 10 million milestone.

“History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle. We are uniquely positioned to set a new benchmark for the industry.”
- Don Mattrick (Marketing Genius)

“What are we willing to do in year one, two, and three to hit 10 million (units sold)? Always remember first to 10 million wins.”
- Peter Moore (Stigmatophile)
That 10 million is old news now, both will hit 10 million without breaking a sweat. That line has moved somewhere in the 15-20 mil mark.

But let's cling to 15 year old quotes.

Atrus

Gold Member
That 10 million is old news now, both will hit 10 million without breaking a sweat. That line has moved somewhere in the 15-20 mil mark.

But let's cling to 15 year old quotes.

The quotes were about being the first to hit a milestone and Peter Moore's quote was about the current generation of consoles. In the end, they are tongue in cheek references to competition when the console market is largely entrenched. Sony comes out in first, Nintendo in second and Microsoft in third.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I expect the gap to be 2:1 by end of 21 and stay until the end of 22. World wide of course.

It’s possible that in 23’ Xbox will start closing the gap in the US.

Desudzer10

People sure are enthusiastic about these new console. Literally on a rush, buying stock from scalpers. Even though there's no new exciting games that came out.

It's the first console launch I've missed. Launch window is dry and not exciting at all!

Anyone else in the same boat? Currently only playing Nintendo Switch here and there.
While there aren't any new games that are a must buy, being able to play games you already have with better resolution, sometimes fps, and faster loading is a big plus for a majority. The new consoles can be skipped at the moment and you won't be missing anything, but the people that have them are enjoying their games in a better way than before.

Elios83

VGchartz numbers are made up.
They look at things like online retailers charts (Amazon and others), official shipments data, leaked NPD datas, Media Create/Famitsu and they guess the numbers.
Gap is probably already bigger than what they're guessing, Sony is targeting at least 7.6m PS5 shipped by the end of March (and it seems like in February and March production was slightly over PS4 numbers) and we know that basically it's impossible to find one so almost everything that is being shipped is sold (except for shipments in transit and shipments in retailers central warehouses).

Last edited:

Mr_Potato

Banned
VGchartz numbers are made up.
They look at things like online retailers charts (Amazon and others), official shipments data, leaked NPD datas, Media Create/Famitsu and they guess the numbers.
Gap is probably already bigger than what they're guessing, Sony is targeting at least 7.6m PS5 shipped by the end of March (and it seems like in February and March production was slightly over PS4 numbers) and we know that basically it's impossible to find one so almost everything that is being shipped is sold (except for shipments in transit and shipments in retailers central warehouses).

Yes, vgchartz numbers are as unreliable as it gets. We'll have to wait for real sales numbers, and those numbers won't make much sense until consoles don't sell out instantly when they're available (otherwise you're just comparing shipments, which isn't very interesting).

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Yes, vgchartz numbers are as unreliable as it gets. We'll have to wait for real sales numbers, and those numbers won't make sense until consoles don't sell out instantly when they're available (otherwise you're just comparing shipments, which isn't very interesting).

Xbox stock isn’t selling as fast as PS5, on top of having lower stock.

Sounds to me like some of you are in the “bargaining” stage.

Mr_Potato

Banned
Xbox stock isn’t selling as fast as PS5, on top of having lower stock.

Sounds to me like some of you are in the “bargaining” stage.

Sure, especially Series S which is available in some places in Europe. And Series X sells out slower than PS5. But you can't build numbers from those anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
From my perspective, since it's been hard to find both a PS5 and XSX, they have been selling equally. Therefore here is my calculation:

PS5 - 6 million
XSX - 6 million

Alright

Banned
I wonder what the sales would have been without supply restrictions.

Interesting to see the split of X/S sales as well. As a guess I would put XSX selling twice as many as the XSS

Aren’t these charts a bit pointless at the moment as both are sold out, all this means is Sony has managed to get more units built

Woopah

The quotes were about being the first to hit a milestone and Peter Moore's quote was about the current generation of consoles. In the end, they are tongue in cheek references to competition when the console market is largely entrenched. Sony comes out in first, Nintendo in second and Microsoft in third.
It's a but tricky to compare Nintendo since they are on a different cycle to the other two, but Switch is quite likely to outsell the PS4. Of course it's far too early to tell if it will outsell PS5 or not.
Sony will break 20M during 2021 if stock actually hits. In fact it would hit 30M.
The most PS4 sold in a year is 20 million. Even with the Covid boost PS5 was never going to hit 30 million sold in its first year.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
AeLzeZp.png

1. PS5: 6,078,333
  2. Switch: 4,096,742
  3. XSX|S: 3,944,563
Through the first 17 weeks available worldwide the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Switch and Xbox Series X|S by a fair margin. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 1.98 million units and is 2.13 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by only 131,189 units.

The PS5 has sold 6.08 million in 17 weeks worldwide, while the Switch sold 4.10 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 3.94 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 17 weeks, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 43.1 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 29.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 27.9 percent.

The Switch didn't reach current PS5 sales until week 30.

Last edited:
Any sales figures at this point are completely useless with the current shortage . Once the pipes are open then we can talk sales.

Question: Were all three consoles sold out immediately? Then numbers are not a fair representation due to supply constraints. Seeing sales comparisons after the launch year would be more meaningful imo. It still might be difficult to judge due to the lingering impact of COVID on the supple and manufacturing side of things.

Top Bottom