• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 - 6 Million; Xbox Series X/S - 3.94 Million - VgChartz

Alcibiades

VGChartz basically served as a one-man NPD ripoff after NPD stopped letting their hard numbers leak. Unfortunately VGChartz was 100% estimation based on public info. NPD is estimation/extrapolation based on partial data so they aren't perfect, but they at least have something to go on.

VGChartz took advantage of the vacuum left by NPD but they were a joke basically. Except of course as a compilation of public data they were alright for that.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I'd think most who want a Switch have one at this point. I'd also assume more scalpers than people are buying the new consoles. No real next gen exclusives.

e&e

Banned
With that Xbox trajectory I also expect it to overtake the Switch soon...

Nah...which means this is entirely useless...

Also, the Switch didn’t launch in the Holidays...

Edit2: Shit, it’s VGChartz lmao...

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Only 4 million PS5s more to get to the important 10 million milestone.

“History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle. We are uniquely positioned to set a new benchmark for the industry.”
- Don Mattrick (Marketing Genius)

“What are we willing to do in year one, two, and three to hit 10 million (units sold)? Always remember first to 10 million wins.”
- Peter Moore (Stigmatophile)
So Switch wins this gen?

Or if switch was last gen, that proves that is false.

All these threads are is "my plastic box is better than yours". They're both made by the same people. Neither have must play games yet either.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
There is no surprise about Sony/PS5 leading out of the gate, the last gen success carries a lot of good will. I'm guessing the mid-long game this gen will end up being far closer than many expect. In the end it's wonderful to see Switch, Playstation and Xbox all performing wonderfully this gen.
Exactly. A weak Playstation leads to Xbox doubling their price like they recently tried. A weak Xbox leads to a Playstation that doesn't have great PS plus offerings. I think the ps plus offerings has been great since the new generation launch. Win or lose, Nintendo just Nintendo for better or worse.

If one of the 3 went, the void is filled by either Amazon or Google. Fuck that.

skit_data

I dont know wether these numbers are correct but it wouldnt surprise me. Up until last week I was the only one i know to own a PS5. This week, my cousin got his and another friend as well so according to my extremely anecdotal observations; Sony is definitely revving up that manufacturing and assembly line.

Last edited:
I think it's curious how Sony has a better supply than Microsoft of these numbers are to be believed. Really weird how Microsoft isn't producing a lot more consoles since they are technically selling out.

noise36

think it's curious how Sony has a better supply than Microsoft of these numbers are to be believed. Really weird how Microsoft isn't producing a lot more consoles since they are technically selling out.

It makes perfect sense that Sony would be producing more units than MS because PS4 sold a lot more than XBOX1, sales expectations would be higher.

Same reason Apple would produce more units at launch then probably any other phone brand.

It makes perfect sense that Sony would be producing more units than MS because PS4 sold a lot more than XBOX1, sales expectations would be higher.

Same reason Apple would produce more units at launch then probably any other phone brand.

I wonder if either underestimated the demand though.

Iced Arcade

Yay 2 shitty VG threads
dumb and dumber GIF

Question: Were all three consoles sold out immediately? Then numbers are not a fair representation due to supply constraints. Seeing sales comparisons after the launch year would be more meaningful imo. It still might be difficult to judge due to the lingering impact of COVID on the supple and manufacturing side of things.
Well, call people and ask them what their intentions are.

Every company has to deal with COVID.

So, COVID or not, we will see how things turn out over the next 2 or 3 years, I think the biggest wildcard is what the studios MS bought end up delivering... everything else is for people like us.

I think it's curious how Sony has a better supply than Microsoft of these numbers are to be believed. Really weird how Microsoft isn't producing a lot more consoles since they are technically selling out.
It's probably in line with what each company was able to forecast (and produce, where it a shortage of silicon chips).

I think being a purely hardware company by nature it's natural the have the capacity to out manufacture ms in units produced imho , I don't doubt that Sony are ahead unit wise but this is vgchartz afterall .

Exactly. A weak Playstation leads to Xbox doubling their price like they recently tried. A weak Xbox leads to a Playstation that doesn't have great PS plus offerings. I think the ps plus offerings has been great since the new generation launch. Win or lose, Nintendo just Nintendo for better or worse.

If one of the 3 went, the void is filled by either Amazon or Google. Fuck that.

Spot on mate, completely agree they push each other.

If ever there was something for gamers to universally agree on. Fuck Amazon and Google in the gaming space; especially at the sacrifice of 1 of the big current 3.

Last edited:

M16

series x chip has newer rdna tech so it took longer to be ready before they could begin production.

We started manufacturing late summer. We were a little bit later than the competition, because we were waiting for some specific AMD technology in our chip. We were a little bit behind where they were, where Sony was, in terms of building units.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I'd think most who want a Switch have one at this point. I'd also assume more scalpers than people are buying the new consoles. No real next gen exclusives.
Lol.

People are desperate to buy the nextgen consoles but they can't find them.

Well, call people and ask them what their intentions are.

Every company has to deal with COVID.

So, COVID or not, we will see how things turn out over the next 2 or 3 years, I think the biggest wildcard is what the studios MS bought end up delivering... everything else is for people like us.

I’m not sure what the point of your post was. I was just saying if there are shortages of components that may impact sales, so comparisons may not be apples to apples.

Spot on mate, completely agree they push each other.

If ever there was something for gamers to universally agree on. Fuck Amazon and Google in the gaming space; especially at the sacrifice of 1 of the big current 3.

Nah, Nintendo can go for me. They are a spent force with nothing unique to bring to the table anymore.

How anybody above the age of 11 plays their games I have no idea.

Skifi28

Lol ask yourself why would they buy more PS5's, could it be much higher demand
They expect to move more PS5s, but is that actually the case? Do we have any hard data on whether they manage to move the consoles or just sit on them? I don't think at this point in time we can draw any conclusions.

When you are expected to sell more, you get the larger supply necause manufacturers want to the one who could sell all their chips fast.

jm89

There where talks of how sony started manufacturing alot earlier. If that is true maybe the headstart on manufacturing earlier allowed them to make improvements to the process and ramp up. They've been doing for decades so something they are way more experienced in then ms.

On Demand

Banned
People still have a hard time with PlayStation success. Using excuses like scalpers and supply.

PS3, Sony’s so called fumbled console, and worst generation, still sold 90M. That’s the baseline for an average PS console sales.

I don’t know what difference everybody is expecting when supply gets normalized PS5 and SX. PS5 will continue to surpass sales records.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
From my perspective, since it's been hard to find both a PS5 and XSX, they have been selling equally. Therefore here is my calculation:

PS5 - 6 million
XSX - 6 million
I get the point. But this doesnt work, because MS claimed they waited for AMD tech and were behind in production. The flip side is Sony were way more ready with stock and development tools.

While they can equally be hard to find, they wont have the same amount of stock available. MS not having as much stock available means any gap will be hard to close IMO. Even when things get back to normal for stock.

But by now the supply is still greater on Sonys side. Nothing to do with newer RDNA2 tech.

IMO this will continue to be an excuse. Unless it was hardware related. They way they came out the gate with next gen pr and info you would have sworn MS would be in a better situation supply wise.

Remember all the " why is Sony so quiet???" talk? Yeah....
When you are expected to sell more, you get the larger supply necause manufacturers want to the one who could sell all their chips fast.

Sound logical. Makes alot of sense.
There where talks of how sony started manufacturing alot earlier. If that is true maybe the headstart on manufacturing earlier allowed them to make improvements to the process and ramp up. They've been doing for decades so something they are way more experienced in then ms.

Yup, some ppl like to act like Sony dont know wtf they're doing...but they have been doing this for many more years than MS. I may have said this already, but I have a theory that the disc and DE PS5 is so easy to switch on the assembly line that they dont really miss a beat.
People still have a hard time with PlayStation success. Using excuses like scalpers and supply.

PS3, Sony’s so called fumbled console, and worst generation, still sold 90M. That’s the baseline for an average PS console sales.

I don’t know what difference everybody is expecting when supply gets normalized PS5 and SX. PS5 will continue to surpass sales records.

The PS3 also launched an entire year later and still managed to catch up to the 360. That means at some point the 360 started selling less consoles.

The PS3 launching an entire year later was hardware related IIRC. The Series consoles launch the same year as the PS5....but they had to wait for AMD tech and thats why supply is lower....

Meanwhile the PS Pro launched about 6 months before AMD tech was available on the market. But MS couldnt get their AMD tech in time?

Okay.

Last edited:
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
J jroc74 my post you've quoted was entirely a joke because of the fact that this is a VGChartz thread. No one would realistically do sales math the way I just did(at least I hope so).

MastaKiiLA

Not sure how reliable VGChartz is these days (others have said they have improved), but I think it's clear that the PS5 is going to beat the XSX|S machines this generation. At least in this first year. It's the most demanded piece of electronics in the world right now. I don't think both being supply-constrained matters. XSX supply will catch up to demand sooner than PS5, because it doesn't appear that the levels of demand are the same between the devices. PS5 is on some Tickle Me Elmo shit right now.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Can you be classified as an adult when you spend your time playing anime medieval school teacher turn based strategy waifu simulator? It's not like they have real men's games like Call of Duty or Gears of War.
I love satire like this.

Top Bottom